Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SCL Door Lock Behavior

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

Number of posts : 44
Home City : Denver, USA
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2020-10-09

SCL Door Lock Behavior Empty
PostSubject: SCL Door Lock Behavior   SCL Door Lock Behavior Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi all,
Quick door lock question. I've got a '94 Super Custom Limited and am wondering whether my locks are acting up, or if it just a quirk/feature I am used to from 21st century cars.

My locks auto-lock when driving at ~10kph or so I think. I know my sliding door lock motor is not working right, so I have it disconnected as the autolock keeps cycling if I don't.

I also have the little keyfob with the button that locks and unlocks the doors and even when I use the manual key, it unlocks all doors.

Where I am having an issue is after parking the car, when I pull the driver's door handle it unlocks my door. I feel like I have a vague memory of it originally unlocking the passenger door too, but if it did that stopped working soon after I got it. The passenger door handle does not unlock that door, it has to be done by flipping the switch and then opening the door.
I opened the door up and I don't see the hard connection between the door handle and lock actuator that the driver's door has.

So my question is, do others' vans behave this way? Do your passengers have to unlock their door manually upon getting out? or should it unlock when the driver opens their door?
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: SCL Door Lock Behavior   SCL Door Lock Behavior Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 3:14 am

I'd think there should be a separate contact assembly in the driver's door which is actuated by the lock mechanism, this will connect to the central locking controller. If you use the physical key from outside the vehicle, does it unlock the passenger's door? I would expect it to, and if it doesn't it will be that contact set. It may be some distance from the lock actuator but look for its wires to see where it is. If the contacts are OK the wiring could have broken where it flexes each time the door is opened or closed. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

PostSubject: Re: SCL Door Lock Behavior   SCL Door Lock Behavior Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Using the key does actuate all the doors, so that part at least is working.

That's part of the reason I was asking my question. I see no reason that I should be able to unlock passenger door from the driver door with a key, but the passenger door would not unlock when I pull the handle and unlock the driver door. Unless that just isn't a feature that it has. Seems like a weird feature.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: SCL Door Lock Behavior   SCL Door Lock Behavior Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 3:20 am

So the contacts are working fine, that suggests a mechanical issue in that the lever is not actuating the contacts while the key does, that should be fairly easy to inspect if you can get the door card off without too much damage.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: SCL Door Lock Behavior   SCL Door Lock Behavior Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 4:10 am

Just had another thought:

If your investigation shows that the lever can't physically operate the contacts, and it does seem like a very desirable function to me, have a look and see if you could mount a little microswitch in a position where the lever could operate it, then just wire that across the common and the unlock wires from the original contact assembly. I find a sewing pin can be used to pierce the insulation on wires to allow measurements but leaving the wire still completely insulated; there will be either a power source or a ground on one wire (the ground is most likely) and one of the others will close to that wire on unlock, the other on lock. Those may have only 5 volts on them when the switch is not operated since they will be going to a controller. The microswitch won't need to be very stout electrically as the current will be very small through its contacts.
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

PostSubject: Re: SCL Door Lock Behavior   SCL Door Lock Behavior Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 4:56 am

AgathaAlice wrote:
Just had another thought:

If your investigation shows that the lever can't physically operate the contacts, and it does seem like a very desirable function to me, have a look and see if you could mount a little microswitch in a position where the lever could operate it, then just wire that across the common and the unlock wires from the original contact assembly. I find a sewing pin can be used to pierce the insulation on wires to allow measurements but leaving the wire still completely insulated; there will be either a power source or a ground on one wire (the ground is most likely) and one of the others will close to that wire on unlock, the other on lock. Those may have only 5 volts on them when the switch is not operated since they will be going to a controller. The microswitch won't need to be very stout electrically as the current will be very small through its contacts.

I like that plan.

I think I didn't do a good job of explaining myself originally.
Mostly was just wondering if this is a feature it should have so I can investigate what's not working. If it's not a feature, I think I'd follow your method for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SCL Door Lock Behavior   SCL Door Lock Behavior Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SCL Door Lock Behavior
Page 1 of 1