Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Door lock

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Door lock  Empty
PostSubject: Door lock    Door lock  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm

My drivers door lock with central locking is acting up probably worn out its a 96 can I swap it with the passenger side you turn one to the right to lock the other to the left so logically is it possible, an alternative would be fitting a remote central locking kit available om Ebay not expensive but have already tried this without success and abandoned it has anyone successfully done it . Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Door lock  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock    Door lock  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 am

JT69 wrote:
My drivers door lock with central locking is acting up probably worn out its a 96 can I swap it with the passenger side you turn one to the right to lock the other to the left so logically is it possible, an alternative would be fitting a remote central locking kit available om Ebay not expensive but have already tried this without success and abandoned it has anyone successfully done it . Thanks in advance.    

Hi!

I had a single key and a stiff lock so one of the first things I did was install remote locking, and it is indeed wonderful.
I think my one is by 'Right Click', it works well but the remote I chose is susceptible to accidental pressing, although the range is quite low.

The system works on a momentary 'ground this' or 'ground that' operation. The switch in the drivers door is directly connected to the circuit too so if that works the remote system will work.

The central locking relay is located behind the glovebox, just behind the round bar. You can cut the wrapping away to expose the wires you need, two thin green ones by memory. Green = unlock, Green with black = lock.

Door lock  Central_Door_Locking

My glovebox had the retaining lugs snapped off so I used a ruck-sack 'clip-together' strap to anchor the top of it to the metal bar behind, you may wish to consider this 'mod' (fix in my case) as it means you can use the glovebox as normal but it then has a quick-release method if you need to access behind it.
Back to top Go down
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : Agnes Water
Registration date : 2020-02-06

Door lock  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock    Door lock  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 am

I took my glove box apart today to have a look behind for my central locking relay on my ‘95 model 1KZ and found an amp for the A/C and the power window relayDoor lock  9f738710
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Door lock  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock    Door lock  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 11:55 am

Yes, lots of stuff there! See that horizontal black round tube that tabs and things are bolted to?
It's behind that - it has a lot of green wires going into it.

As I recall it's like a giant relay - probably behind the window controller.

Quinnjin78 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : Agnes Water
Registration date : 2020-02-06

Door lock  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock    Door lock  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Ok, I’ll pull the glove box out again and go deeper. I think I can take out the window controller. If I locate this elusive wee beasty and grab myself a remote entry kit would you be able to give me some more advice? I’m pretty good with cutting and splicing and soldering and heat shrink. That wiring diagram you posted didn’t help me with which wires I’d need to actually cut though.

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Door lock  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock    Door lock  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Sure, but the remote kit will have a 'momentary to ground' setting/setup and two active wires for lock/unlock, you just have to set it to that and figure out which of the wires to the vehicle relays is green+(silver?) wire is lock and which green+(black?) is unlock Smile

You can safely test them with a 5W 12V lamp connected to ground on one side and to a wire with a point on the other, touching the right wires with the point will cause the central locking to work - the lamp protects the loom if you get a 12V that you shouldn't. Probably a cheap car circuit tester will do this, looks like a screwdriver with a wire coming out the top.

Then the remote unit will behave like the lock/unlock button on the drivers door.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Door lock  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock    Door lock  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Door lock
Page 1 of 1