Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Broken windscreen drain pipe

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cjs_surf
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Dublin
Model and year : 1991 LH119 PT 4WD Hight Top YMC Camper
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Broken windscreen drain pipe Empty
PostSubject: Broken windscreen drain pipe   Broken windscreen drain pipe Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 9:55 am

Hi I've a 1991 LH119 I had a significant leak coming into the carpet on the drivers side. Has to get the sills welded and they took out the windscreen at the same time and found a rust hole at the top, the water was coming down the door columb.

Thats been fixed and we replace the seal at the same time, infact its a new windscreen they cracked putting it back in. The carpet is still damp. I couldn't find any water coming it from the door columb but under the windscreen is a bit damp, tiny amount of water. Then I found that the drain hose from the lower windscreen drivers side had parted from the tray that catches the water. The plastic fitting snapped

How do I fix this, can I get at it by taking out the dash, or does the windscreen have to come out too.

I found a thread from 2012 where they sealed up the windscreen and plugged the hole, am I storing up trouble doing that.

If it makes any difference I'm in Dublin and 4 or of 10 mechanical skills.

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t2296-leak-suddenly-coming-from-above-accelerator-pedal-area?highlight=windscreen+leak
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Broken windscreen drain pipe   Broken windscreen drain pipe Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2021 5:48 am

There are 2 different designs with hiace windscreens. 1 has drain holes 1 doesn’t. They have completely different windscreen sealing trims. The non-drain holes trim design is prone to trap water and rust at any place right around the screen including the roof edge. If whoever put the screen in used sealant where they weren’t supposed to it can result in water leaking into the cabin. I wouldn’t be surprised with an installer that isn’t used to this model of Hiace. Blocking the drain hole without knowing that the install was done with that in mind could lead to trapped wayer and either rust starting pretty quickly or water coming in somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
cjs_surf
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Dublin
Model and year : 1991 LH119 PT 4WD Hight Top YMC Camper
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Broken windscreen drain pipe   Broken windscreen drain pipe Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 2:24 pm

Mine is 91LH119 it has the drain hoses, I've had it in my hand as it's snapped at the top.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Broken windscreen drain pipe   Broken windscreen drain pipe Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 7:42 pm

Yeah. So if you block them, because it’s designed with them to drain the water, you’ll likely get that water coming in somewhere else.

Unless you can be sure the screen was bonded and sealed in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken windscreen drain pipe   Broken windscreen drain pipe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broken windscreen drain pipe
Page 1 of 1