Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air conditioning recharge pipe location?

Go down 
+3
Gissit
Merlin_
Dan_orchard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan_orchard

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Bristol
Model and year : Super Custom 1994
Registration date : 2020-09-03

Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Empty
PostSubject: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi All,

Where are the air conditioning recharge pipes, I have a 1994 Super Custom but have no idea where the charge pipes are, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 am

On the 91 cruising cabin lh 119 it’s down in the front, just lay on your back and poke your head around there and you’ll see them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Gloucester
Model and year : 4X4 LH119 3L Engine
Registration date : 2020-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 7:14 am

On my 93 it is just behind the front bumper
Back to top Go down
randywilliamc
randywilliamc

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Nanaimo BC Canada
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Custom
Complectation: LH113V-RRPDS
Production Period: 08.1989 - 08.1998
Body: V1
Grade: DX
Options: 4FC SRF 4D SG 06S 1000K DSL 2WD
Registration date : 2023-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 7:57 pm

I am having trouble finding the kind of refrigerant used on my 1993. R-22 or R410A. Any way to be absolutely certain?
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 9:04 pm

Hello ‘randywilliamc’ and welcome to the forum.

As far as I’ve been able to tell, my ’93 Hiace with front and rear a/c was originally charged with R-12, which is now banned worldwide, I think.

There may be various stickers that describe the refrigerant type and quantity (in Japanese, obvs).

The fittings on mine were the type used for R12 and I’ve replaced these (my system has zero refrigerant) with modern R-134a fittings. When appropriate I’ll get the system recharged with R-134a. At that time a new desiccant unit and any other parts will be replaced.

I think the system should have 850g if front only and 1400g (+- 50g) if dual, but these are the quantities for R-12. Any good a/c garage should know the equivalent mass for R-134a. R-134a seemingly does not perform as well as R-12 when retrofitted, so the system probably won’t be as cold as intended or will have to work harder.

HTH!!

Btw take a look at the long post in my ‘Show us yours’ page. I hope it’s a good place to start for manuals, resources and parts.

blgravely and randywilliamc like this post

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 9:07 pm

For 1993 it should be R134A. The switch from R12 started in 1992-1995. My wife’s 1993 is 134A.

R22 and 410A are for HVAC systems. R12 and R22 are phased out due to ozone layer issues.

If the quick connect for the 134A low side is different then you still have R12 on your van. They make an adaptor which screws on the top of it so that you can use COTS cans at Walmart and auto parts stores. They cost like 3 dollars.

Good Luck and God Bless
-Bryan

Last edited by blgravely on Fri May 12, 2023 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

randywilliamc likes this post

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 9:09 pm

Sorry LH119V. We were posting at the same time. Yours is better haha.

Have an awesome weekend
-Bryan

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 4:25 pm

Hello, All

Here's the sticker that's in mine:
Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Receip10

This shows the refrigerant, the mass (for charge) and the high and low side pressures (more useful for top up, I think). I’ve not translated the rest of this.

blgraverly, do you have a similar sticker with the R-134a quantities and pressures? It would be really helpful for when I get my system charged. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeThu May 18, 2023 4:55 pm

Good Morning LH119V

Sorry I was out of pocket for a few days. I had to get a procedure done on a place we men don’t talk about. I’m not talking about it haha. Part of getting old I guess.

I looked everywhere for your cool sticker. I have a yellow 134A sticker on mine that is much less informative. I can confirm that the hardware on the van didn’t have the conversion connections which means that if it was converted later…they changed the high and low side charge pipes which seems unnecessary.

I’ll include our sticker, but like I said it’s a disappointment. If you are going to fill by weight, not pressure through manifold gauges, the rule of thumb I was taught was take R12, multiply by .75 and then subtract .25oz.

Please correct the community if I am wrong…this is off the top of my head and I’m rushing to another appointment.

Hoping you’re having an awesome sunny day
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeThu May 18, 2023 4:56 pm

Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Img_3910
Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Img_3911

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeThu May 18, 2023 10:31 pm

Thanks.

I’ve no idea about the mass conversion between refrigerants. If I get the chance to ask someone, I will.

I’d expect the system is optimally designed to operate at specific high- and low-side pressures probably regardless of refrigerant; it’s just that different refrigerants seem likely to have different properties of specific heat capacity (for temp changes) and latent heat capacities (across phase transitions). Oh and ozone depletion properties, of course!

The mass is likely just a way to charge the system, I think. Whenever I’ve had an A/C system filled they add by mass (to the low side I seem to remember as this has a bigger volume) then the refrigerant is distributed once the compressor is run. The simple check is them to look at the two pressures.

I’ve heard that R12 was a more effective refrigerant than R134a (for example). Probably with greater specific and latent heat capacities which might be why later vehicles designed for R134a have bigger heat exchangers, is what I’ve been told.

Your sticker says ‘no oil’. I have some literature to say the Hiace with R12 should have 40-50cc of compressor oil, such as ‘Densooil 6, SUN ISO No 5G5 or equivalent’. Maybe R134a has better lubrication properties than R12, but this is probably moot now.

Anyway thanks for your post and all the best!!
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri May 19, 2023 2:12 am

Hey LH119V

Everything you posted is correct. But without manifold gauges, a vacuum pump and a scale. the DIY will just add refrigerant and oil until the low side is in the green range and the registers blow cool. That’s why I am glad you are posting the right way to get the word out. It does make a difference.

And it’s hard to see but it says ND oil 8 which is Denso PAG oil. Looks like “No oil” at first glance. R134A and R1234YF use PAG oil while R12 uses Ester oil. Quantities should be the same.

R12 uses smaller condensers and is more efficient size for size. But they got rid of it and went to R134A and then got rid of it and put whatever alphabet refrigerant is in my new Camaro.

Have an awesome evening
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
Gleasman

Home City : Philadelphia PA
Registration date : 2023-07-21

PostSubject: Compressor Oil   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2023 12:40 pm

Just curious....when any owners have done a retrofit to r134a, do you change the compressor oil?

I have a 1992 that is an r12 system...but I want to swap it out.

Thanks in advance
JG
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2023 1:43 pm

Good Morning Gleasman.

If you’re going to use PAG oil you have to drain the compressor. If you use Ester oil you will be good to go, as it’s compatible with the mineral you have in there right now.

Good Luck and God Bless,
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2023 1:48 pm

Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Img_0910

Gleasman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gleasman

PostSubject: Thanks for the recommendation   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm

Great...thanks for the quick response. I am new to the Hi-Ace community (I have a '92 Super Custom w/ 100k miles). The only thing that doesn't work is the AC...so I am going to do a pressure test and then try to retrofit and recharge with what you recommended!

Hoping this is pretty simple and works.
Any other input is welcome.
JG
Back to top Go down
Gleasman

PostSubject: How much should I use?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2023 6:45 pm

blgravely wrote:
Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Img_0910

Any idea how much of this I should use? I am thinking that maybe 1 can of oil, 1 can of sealant and a few cans of "freon" are the way to go?

THanks
JG
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2023 11:48 pm

Hey Gleasman.

It holds a ton of refrigerant. 1.400KG to be exact.  That’s like 48 ounces. Almost six ounces of oil too (190g).

So plan on 4-5 cans 134A, and like you were planning one oil, one stop leak.

Front and rear AC on max when you feed it and you should be good to go. 30psi or so on the low side, under 200 on the high side.

Good Luck and God Bless!
-Bryan

Gleasman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gleasman

PostSubject: To evacuate or not to evacuate....that is the question   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2023 11:11 pm

blgravely wrote:
Hey Gleasman.

It holds a ton of refrigerant. 1.400KG to be exact.  That’s like 48 ounces. Almost six ounces of oil too (190g).

So plan on 4-5 cans 134A, and like you were planning one oil, one stop leak.

Front and rear AC on max when you feed it and you should be good to go. 30psi or so on the low side, under 200 on the high side.

Good Luck and God Bless!
-Bryan

Bryan,
You seem to be "the man" on this thread - so I am going to address this to you Smile.
Here is my question.  My system is not...seems to have no refrigerant in it, but I have no way to tell.  I was thinking of trying the conversion (adding the fitting kit so the R134a cans will work)...and just putting in the ester oil, and the R134a sealant and refrigerant to see if I could get it cold.  

Do you think I need to vacuum pump out the system first?  The advantage would be that I could test for leaks...but the disadvantage is that I would have to go somewhere to get it done.  

My preference would be to do the conversion (as described above) and see where it gets me.  What am I risking (other than the cost of the chemicals, etc) by not evacuating the system first? If there is little to no risk by skipping that, I am going to.

Thanks again...ready to get this done (my wife is tired of sweating in there)  Air conditioning recharge pipe location? 1f602

Best,
JG
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 1:23 am

It’s not the best doing it without pulling a vacuum. I would ask where did the other refrigerant go?

However it’s 30-40 years old so there may not actually be a leak. I replaced her compressor not because it was leaking but because the clutch failed horrifically. You could hear it a mile away.

And it still holds a seal perfectly after all these years. Absolutely trouble free.

To answer your question, it will work and blow cold if you do it without pulling a vacuum. The right way is better but it’s not always feasible or economical.

If your system was R12 you cannot mix 134A. Just vent the lines and you’ll be good to go. If it was already 134 even easier. The right fittings should already be on it.

Good luck Sir. If it won’t accept the refrigerant I can tell you how to make it if you are unsure or anything.  This will work, you’ll have a cool van soon.  
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioning recharge pipe location?   Air conditioning recharge pipe location? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning recharge pipe location?
Page 1 of 1