Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel tank breather pipe

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : Looking for my next
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Fuel tank breather pipe Empty
PostSubject: Fuel tank breather pipe   Fuel tank breather pipe Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 am

Does anyone know where the breather pipe for the fuel tank is on a '92 2.4?

I think it may be blocked. I am certainly getting a vaccum in there which I think is sucking the fuel back out of the pump during the night and causing starting problem in the morning; fuel starvation, miss fire, lumpy starts.

I tested my theory out last night when after I parked I loosened the filler cap and replaced it. I did the same thing again this morning, then started it and it was much better. Until the blockage has been cleared I don't think it will get better, so I need to find this pipe.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank breather pipe   Fuel tank breather pipe Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 am

Breather is from the top of the tank and rejoins the filler pipe near the top. The rubber parts have been known to degrade and close up on the side, looking ok on the outside.

I would look at the return or spill pipe work also. Infact all the fuel line maybe worth looking at/renewing.
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank breather pipe   Fuel tank breather pipe Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:23 am

OK. Thanks Clive.

On a side note. We are looking to take our bus to Hungary again this summer with all the kids. Bus I reckon this time though I am going to wimp out and probably get the Motorail from Dusseldorf to south Austria. Put my feet up and relax. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank breather pipe   Fuel tank breather pipe Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:37 am

I did the motorail once when I lived in Munich, could not rest on the thing and the messing about loading and unloading it was just a waste of time, cancelled the return booking.
May be fun for the kids though!
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank breather pipe   Fuel tank breather pipe Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

I have been doing some reading up on my rough starting engine on the Hilux surf forum. Many people are having the same problem; on colder days mostly on start up. I wait for the glow plug beep, start engine, white/grey smoke and sounds/feels like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders for a few moments and then all is fine and smooth running after that.

Last year I had the injectors reconditioned when I changed the head. This month I put in new Bosch glow plugs. But nothing changed. I thought it might be a fueling issue. Hence the fuel tank breather pipe question. I haven't had time to explore this yet and the weather has been lousey recently. Another thought would be the primer pump on top of the fuel filter. I don't know anything about this other than it has a diaphram. If this diaphram is split would it cause the fuel to get pulled back down into the tank over night? If it is split would it cause running problems, ie. allowing air to be drawn into the fuel pump; and can just the diaphram be replaced?

I want to get to the bottom of this as it is starting to erode my trust in the car for the longer journeys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank breather pipe   Fuel tank breather pipe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel tank breather pipe
Page 1 of 1