Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cslaby

Number of posts : 2
Home City : SEATTLE
Registration date : 2020-06-26

Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Empty
PostSubject: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 am

I'm planning on draining and refilling the automatic transmission in my 92 Super Custom Limited. Looks like you just drop the pan in order to drain and then refill through the dipstick tube. While I'm in there I'd like to change the filter/strainer and torque the valve body bolts to spec (gotta look that up). Looks like there's a gasket under the filter as well. I've ordered the following parts:

AUTO TRANS PAN GASKET 35168-22011
FILTER/STRAINER 35303-30060
FILTER/STRAINER GASKET 35339-28030

I searched but haven't seen any posts about this process. Has anyone done it and if so do you have any tips?

One additional question re: ATF. I purchased 4 quarts of O'reilly brand Dexron VI Full Synthetic ATF. The label on the back of the bottle reads: "This fluid is suitable for use where DEXRON II, DEXRON III, JASO M315(1A), Toyota WS, Toyota T-IV fluids are recommended." My van recommends Dexron II and I've heard that Dexron III techologically supercedes Dexron II. The bottle's message seems to be state pretty definitively that this Dexron VI will work fine. Does anyone run Dex VI in their van? What kind of ATF do you use?
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 3:39 am

I posted a walkthrough on the forum on dropping the pan and changing the screen, same transmission as you,  A45DE. I've been using Dex/Merc which is equivalent to Dexron III.

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3533-transmission-oil-pan-gasket-strainer-replacement
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 am

I avoided Dexron VI after reading a huge amount about the subject and instead went for some synthetic III. You can get it cheap in big containers, something you'll appreciate if following my recipe below...

IIRC there was something different about VI that I didn't trust.
Also wear gloves, ATF 'isn't good' for your skin/body. Probably best to avoid the vapours too much as well.

BTW 'flushing' auto fluid is quite a risk prone exercise if the old fluid is not in good condition, because of the dirt left sitting around in the box and torque converter. Flushing is a well known 'technique' to wreck a transmission completely, but a partial pan change also has pretty much the same action IMO.
There are two theories:

1. The dirt comes off all at once and blocks stuff up
2. The dirt used to help the old oil grip the plates

My own favoured theory is 1, because new ATF has a very (very) strong cleaning action like nothing else, it's quite aggressive. After 10 miles on a partial (3L) change it can come out black and smelly - stuff you don't want to leave in your box for the next 100,000 miles LOL.

So my own opinion is:
1. Do the change
2. Only drive one short warm-up cycle around the block.
3. Change it again.
4. If the old stuff was dirty (not looking like new) drive twice as far as before and goto step 3.

Until it's clear. Buy new copper sealing washers, heat them red-hot to re-anneal if re-using.

This strategy gets the old dirt safely out of the box as soon as practically possible and is in my view the least risky way because you are actually checking the fluid each time.

Bear in mind your new filter will take a deluge of dirt if it was dirty before, I didn't bother changing mine as it was a gauze so I decided the dirt was too fine to clog it up.

BTW my transmission still works fine if that's a comfort, but I am on oil change #4 and will change again when convenient just because it's always good to be sure Very Happy

Lynn and ThoranX like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 1:02 pm

Dexron VI is a low viscosity trans fluid, Dexron II & III are high viscosity. The VI is not suitable.

The idea that flushing a trans can harm it is basically an old wives tale. Quite literally. It was trueish for old transmission designs - pre 70’s ish - but it is nonsense for modern cars (50ish or younger years old) that seems to have been perpetuated ad infinitum in this day of Google, Forums & “experts” with a camera and a YT login. Unfortunately cause and effect gets confused and a flush is blamed for failures from a lack of previous maintenance.

The advice to do a double change is good and I’d leave a filter change (or clean of the gauze type) until the second one. Not sure about the 92 but for the later Aisin boxes in the ‘95 I think Toyota (from memory) specify 60Km for the change interval, but that change is a drain and refill of the trans sump of only just under 2L of a total capacity of 8.2L.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 1:30 pm

There’s nothing magical about a trans fluid flush that’s going to “dislodge” supposed crud. If you have “dirt” in your trans the only place it came from is clutch material, seal material or metal, which will end up in the filter or the pan and you have serious wear or failure already occurring. Trans fluid is not oil, it’s not sludging up but it will deteriorate especially if run hot. Best thing to do for any trans no matter the history is a fluid change. WITH THE CORRECT FLUID.

On a tangent:
The “correct fluid” seems to be a tricky thing. I’ll never use either Penrite or Nulon trans fluids again. They were both caught out claiming a trans fluid was suitable for LV applications. Turned out they weren’t. Penrite were prosecuted in Aussie and had to publicly notify a “recall and fix” for consumers with damaged ZF6HP transmissions. (This was more than 5 years ago. They had the recall notice on their site but it’s no longer there. Think I saved it!) Have never trusted any of their oil marketing since. I have a 20L of Nulon full syn trans fluid in my garage that claims on the side to be suitable for BMW & ZF Lifeguard 6 spec (& Shell 1375.4?) Funny thing is, their website removed that spec and ditto the new packaging for that identical fluid. Dodgy bstrds.

What the OP above notes about the claims of suitability of the Dexron VI sounds like the exact same BS.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Dead right mate the drain plug will only release 2 ltrs of the 8 in there there is a good description on the 4x4 sights how to flush the system compleatly (forgot which one) and there is no filter just a mesh screen in the sump on the hiace auto box, pig of a job to clean it no need to replace just clean with brake cleaner. Done one never again I am lazy just do a few drain 2ltrs and replace till fluid is correct colour.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 7:23 pm

I get almost exactly 3 litres from my 2WD A340E transmission from the pan.

1. My trans fluid was just a bit brown when it came out.
2. After a few miles I changed it again and it came out black.
3. Then after a few more miles it came out blackish
4. Then it came out not too bad.
- The last dipstick test it looked quite clean and red.

I'll change it again before another long journey as it's cheap I'm happier when it's the right colour Smile
I would definitely stick to II or III if the dipstick says DXII on it though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec   Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auto trans fluid & filter change + valve body torque to spec
Page 1 of 1