Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davidderush

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Picton, NSW, Australia
Registration date : 2013-03-26

Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Empty
PostSubject: Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?   Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 pm

I am buying a 1998 Hiace Super Custom Limited, non-4WD. Just before I picked it up, the owner said the automatic transmission developed problems. A friend of his has a Super Custom 4WD and he is taking the automatic transmission out of that one and putting it into the one I am buying.

Is this workable? Does anyone know if this has any potential issues? Please advise.

It has the 3.0 turbo diesel engine in it, 156,000 k's. Drives very strong.

How hard (and how expensive and time consuming) is it to get a good transmission for this 98 super custom limited if it does develop problems in the future? Are they fairly easy to come by? Please advise.

I live in New South Wales, Australia...about an hour from Sydney.

Thanks,
David
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?   Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm

As far as I'm aware the 4wd has a transfer box bolted on the back of the tranmission, I'd guess that it will fit not sure if the gearing would be the same though.
Have a look on www.toyodiy.com for the gearbox part numbers, that will tell you if they are different.
Back to top Go down
davidderush

PostSubject: He says they have the same part numbers for the trans...   Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 am

The fellow who is having the transmissions swapped, says that the one from his friends 4 WD has the exact same transmission part number as the one that was in his van that he is replacing. But he says the "output shaft" is slightly different in length so they swap the output shaft. Apart from the output shaft, they say they are the exact same.

Any input or advice? What kind of care is needed to lengthen the life of these Super Custom Automatic Transmissions? Are they prone to problems? Any help would be appreciated!

THanks,
David
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?   Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 7:45 am

Yes the prop shaft would be shorter on the 4WD as the transfer box box takes up some room.

Transmissions are very robust. I'd do a complete fluid change if they had not done that in replacing it.
Back to top Go down
davidderush

PostSubject: Re: Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?   Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks for the advice...I will check and make sure that they are doing that. Many Automatic transmissions also have a fliter that is normally changed when the transmission fluid is changed...is this the case with this one?

Thanks so much,
David
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?   Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:29 am

There is a filter in the sump, which has to be removed to get to it, then re-sealed with silicon gasket. Lot easier to do if the box is out of the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?   Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auto Trans from a 4WD super custom into a non-4WD one?
Page 1 of 1