Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dawngrugel

Number of posts : 2
Home City : liverpool
Registration date : 2011-06-28

water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom Empty
PostSubject: water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom   water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi, I have had to re-register on here, for some reason wouldn't log me back on! I have owned my 1992 super custom for just over 2yrs and never had a problem with it, I love it.

The other day, I was just going home when I pulled over and noticed water leaking from what looked like just under the passenger seat at the front. The water looked like a bit of rust in it but it wasn't warm, so didn't think it had come from the radiator. I tried to make the couple of miles home but the temp gauge shot right up. pulled over and it was just running out. Got the breakdown guy out, he had a look, said the water had some coolent in it, "he tasted it on end of his finger"! but he didn't think it was the radiator but he thought it needed a new header tank.

My lovely van is now sitting on the drive, help! I phoned japparts and asked for a header tank, he gave me a price but didn't get back to me about delivery etc.
I am sure I read on here some time ago, was on as dawncbn, that somebody down Dorset way used to travel fixing our lovely vans, is that correct? or was I dreaming it

Rolling Eyes

Any advice would be most appreciated as I want to keep my van going for as long as possible. I just love it, (so does everyone else who gets into it)!
Back to top Go down
mattyj
Been here a while
Been here a while
mattyj

Number of posts : 118
Home City : Liverpool Sydney
Model and year : 92 Toyota Hi-ace 4x4 Super custom non turbo
Registration date : 2010-08-05

PostSubject: Re: water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom   water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:46 pm

I assume your not in aus right

there are heaps of wreckers here that you could get one from and mechanics to go around
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom   water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:56 am

Well first I'd top the system up and run the engine up carefully remove the pressure cap while ticking over and look for bubbles. Foaming or pulsing spurts of bubbles would indicate head (or if you are lucky head gasket) failure. No bubbles, yes you will get a few random ones, then perhaps it is just the pressure cap letting more through, or even the pipe into the header tank not sucking up? Could also be a blocked rad.

Mobile mechanic is Buffallobob on the TEOC website, works out of London but travels the country. He gives Free advice must be worth a call.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom   water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Unless your header tank has suffered major trauma I don't think that is the problem.The coolant is being pressurised out by the main system -it's cold because the top up coolant in the header tank is being replaced by gas/fluid filling fron the bottom.

If you stopped straight away when you saw the Temp rise you may have saved a distorted head or gasket.

Try the cheapest options first
1 a new radiator cap
2 a new thermostat
3 are your water pump drive belts to the correct tension?

Then you may have to raid the Piggy Bank.

I hope that the worse case scenario is not a blow gasket or cracked head - Been there and its not pleasant!
Keep your fingers crossed!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom   water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

water from 1992 2.4 auto diesel hiace super custom
Page 1 of 1