Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cosmicbonsai
cosmicbonsai

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Bend
Model and year : 1996 Hiace Custom High-Top Camper

Registration date : 2021-02-03

1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc... Empty
PostSubject: 1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc...   1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 11:40 pm

Hey there...I am a total noob to hiace maintenance and I have some questions. I am currently in the middle of doing a transmission fluid drain/refill and I am confused as to how I know if I have filled with enough fluid after I drained. I could've measured the fluid when it drained, but it already went into a bucket that had other fluid in it before I started. My transmission fluid dipstick reads "Hot" and "Cool"....does that also translate to "Full" and "Low"?

Also, after a couple drain/refills, I plan to drop the pan and clean the magnets, clean/replace the strainer, change gaskets etc....Does anyone have know if this transmission actually has a strainer? Or a filter? I have looked at 3 different sources including the manual for this van (I am starting to doubt it is the right one) and I can't find consistent information. Some sources say filter, some say strainer, some don't show either.

Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc...   1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Not sure about filter/strainer for that model trans ir exact quantity for sump drain. I’d expect around 4L would be a good start.

To check fluid level: Do with the engine running sitting in Park AFTER running the shifter through all positions and pausing a couple seconds in each.
Auto trans fluid expands a LOT when hot. Only check when either it’s cold (just started) or when at full operating temperature. Under those 2 conditions, the level should be between the relevant COLD or HOT marks on the dipstick. (They effectively mean “When Cold” and “When Hot”)
To clarify: Each of the HOT and COLD printed on the dipstick will have an indent or V either side if the word. Those are the “high low” marks for each state of Hot or Cold.
Back to top Go down

1996 Automatic Transmission A45DF-Fluid Change etc...
Page 1 of 1