Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE Empty
PostSubject: Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE   Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Yesterday, I drained the oil, a slightly messier exercise than I had hoped for.

When it came to removing the oil filter, there was no way I could figure out how to remove it as there is bugger all room in the vicinity of the filter to get a proper grip on the filter with either a filter removal tool or anything else.

How do you remove the #@$@ oil filter without having to strip down half the engine Question

I was contemplating bashing a large screw driver in the old filter (prob = more mess) and trying to turn it that way as I have used this method on a stubborn filter before on the 4runner. I thought I'd see what other methods people have used before I resorted to this way of removing it as if I started bashing holes in it with the screwdriver and it didn't work, I'd be totally stuffed...

Even if the above method worked, how would the new filter be tightened to the required number of turns, usually 3/4 of a turn, once filter has contacted the mounting face ? scratch

There is a date on the old filter, 14 April 2008, so it would appear that the filter may not have been changed since then which is a bit of a worry. I would say she's going to be pretty well "welded" on to the face plate...

For the time being, I refilled the engine with new oil as I needed to move the van to get my other car out of the way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Werner
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE   Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 7:52 am

I used a rubber gloved hand, after several attempts it moved. Doing up palm of my hand did it, not so tight so the next removal was easy.
Note there are two lengths of filter that fit, the longer one is easier to get a grip on
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE   Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Werner.

I haven't actually had to use an oil filter wrench on mine. I have been able to undo mine with just getting my fingers around it. I only ever do them up with my fingers too.

If yours is on tight there is a wrench available with three arms and a socket drive. On ebay at the moment this is the sort I bought for getting the filter out of my EF falcon. Ebay item number 270951898014 . With this kind you can come straight down on top of it and drive it with a ratchet or tommy bar. If you ask for a 3 arm oil filter wrench at Supacheap or Autobarn or similar place they should have one too.

When you undo it you are supposed to just get it off the thread then let the oil drain out of it into it's little well (connected to the pipe coming out near the sump plug) before taking it right out. I then clean the well area with a rag before putting the new filter on. Good luck

Cheers,

Dave.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE   Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 11:58 pm

In the end, the filter came off with a pair of hands & nitrile gloves. I had assumed that the filter would be seized on the mounting judging by the date on the filter. Originally I had never actually tried to turn it, duh... Embarassed

All's well, that ends well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE   Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil filter removal on 1KZ-TE
Page 1 of 1