Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Old Air filter vs new air filter

Go down 
+3
GREY NEWBIE
GPW
Markmark88
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Markmark88
Not so new now
Not so new now
Markmark88

Number of posts : 39
Home City : Cronulla, Sydney.
Model and year : 1995 Toyota Hiace Super Custom limited. 3.0 turbo diesel
Registration date : 2018-06-04

Old Air filter vs new air filter  Empty
PostSubject: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 4:35 am

Just a quick post about the old air filter. Last change unknown from previous owner. This is the old air filter I took out of mine. It’s crazy the difference it’s made on how the van runs with a new one in there. So much smoother, more responsive. I understand that’s the case when you provide cleaner and better airflow but had to say it anyways. Must’ve been struggling to breathe with this old one in there! You can see that down the inside of the filter the original colour was yellow..
gentle reminder, me more than anyone, don’t neglect their health!
Old Air filter vs new air filter  9fd8d610
Old Air filter vs new air filter  E3f2fb10
Old Air filter vs new air filter  13583010
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Wow!

Make sure you get it seated correctly at the bottom when doing it up BTW, I found there was room for error (i.e. the Japanese mechanic who put my new one on just before shipping didn't seat it quite right).
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: They get forgotten about, sitting underneath the van.    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 3:27 am

They get forgotten about, sitting underneath the van, but also means it's not uncommon for them to be stolen, believe it or not! Easy and quick access from underneath a locked van. Not as common now the old Hiace are older and not so prolific.
Back to top Go down
GREY NEWBIE
GREY NEWBIE

Number of posts : 11
Home City : BUNDABERG
Model and year : KZH106 1998
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 5:38 am

When I travel I am mostly on gravel/dirt roads, and my home is also on a dirt road. So I have always paid special attention to the air filter. Nowadays I change the filter cartridge at every second service as it does make a huge difference. The position of the intake is unfortunate for those who drive on dirt roads, and when I first bought the vehicle my regular mechanic made particular mention of the need to keep the airflow clean and unimpeded by dust and dirt in the cartridge. So yeah, a clean air filter is well worth the small cost.
Back to top Go down
Markmark88
Not so new now
Not so new now
Markmark88

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 5:44 am

Yeah I could see how it would be easy picking for people knowing what they were looking for!
Absolutely. I drove quite a bit on dirt roads up north. You can hear how much more air is being sucked into the intake on the side once changed.

Actually, that brings me to another question. I’m getting like a slight squeal/high pitched sound when accelerating, I’ve eliminated the possibility of it being the belt. It sounds to me more like a high pitched whistle. Up until around 2500rpm when the turbo suction drowns out the sound. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a leak in the air intake somewhere and that’s the whistle noise im getting until the revs get to high for it to whistle.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm

I have snorkel on it and still the air filter got full quickly in a desert environment. Mine started to smoke really bad because there was not enough air. All was gone after changing the air filter.
Back to top Go down
Markmark88
Not so new now
Not so new now
Markmark88

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Mine is smoking a bit on start up, and I assume it’s because it’s not getting enough air but I will post a new topic in the forum to hear about everyone’s experiences!
Back to top Go down
habitants24@gmail.com
habitants24@gmail.com

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Vancouver, BC
Model and year : 1996 LH119

Registration date : 2018-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to find the air filter on my 1996 Hiace. I'm assuming that I need to look from underneath? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 3:57 am

If you have a diesel, lie down behind the front driver's side (RHS) wheel. Look up, there's a large round cannister with a wing-nut holding the lid on the bottom. That's the air filter housing.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 am

Anyone fitted or know if available a pipercross or k&n type free flow filter to their diesels
Back to top Go down
habitants24@gmail.com
habitants24@gmail.com

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Vancouver, BC
Model and year : 1996 LH119

Registration date : 2018-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Found it. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 2:32 am

Regarding K&N filter. Yes there is. I made a post about it a ways back. Search the forum. Not sure if you can search my posts specifically.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Air filter vs new air filter    Old Air filter vs new air filter  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Air filter vs new air filter
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: