Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auto Gearbox Problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dangarus

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Manchester
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Auto Gearbox Problem Empty
PostSubject: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 am

Hi All,

I am a newbie to HiAce-ing and have just purchased a 1993 2.8 modified camper. Already found this site invaluable for finding how to fill up the wash wipe etc and was hoping someone out there could help with my current problem (I have searched the site already and can not find much on gearbox problems (a good sign i hope!)).

Van had been running smoothly but all of a sudden it is finding it hard to change up the gears (particularly into 3/D and over drive) when cold. It will not shift out of sencond and as it gets warmer will shift up and then immediately down keeping the engine reving high. It will also change down on slight inclines. The problem seems to stop when everything has got good and hot.

I have checked the gearbox oil level and it seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas or am I about to go and hand the local mechanic a blank cheque for a gearbox rebuild??

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 am

Have a search throught, there was a long and very detailed resolution to similar problems that you describe recently . If it is a no cost option must be worth searching for!
Back to top Go down
Dangarus

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Clive,

Thank you for the response. I spent the first hour and a half of my day at work searching though and didnt see anything I thought resembled the problem.

My thoughts are around gear box oil filter/kick down cable? Anyone else with any ideas or helpful assistance??
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Ensure the fluid is clean and that you are checking levels with the engine and box hot....quick run through all gears to circulate before checking the level
If all looks OK but problem still there then ect button off and play with the kickdown adjustment....just remember where it was set originally by looking at the marker ferrule. Small adjustments make a big difference and the zone for optimum setting is small, so limit alterations to maybe 1/16" at a time
When the kickdown cable is maladjusted the box goes mental...hopefully thats all it is...check all visible linkages too.
I doubt the oil filter is blocked...the holes in the mesh are relatively huge
Back to top Go down
Dangarus

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 am

Thats great Chris thanks.

Looks like i have found something to do at weekend!
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 12:02 pm

I can't find the post either, anyone else remember it was in the last few weeks and went into great detail?
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 3:12 pm

found the post i think you are looking for Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan its in the next catagory i thinks it's members guide to repairs?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Back to top Go down
Dangarus

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:16 am

Gents,

I beasting from my boss for the last couple of months has meant i still havent got round to this. I havent managed to drive the van for about 2 months either so yesterday i took the day off to get some work done. I took the van for a little drive and now it wont reverse without putting the peddle down to the floor and sending the revs through the roof....

There was a small patch of oil on the drive and the auto box oil level seemed low so it looks like i might have a leak. How do I fill up the auto box oil?? Is there a seperate cap to do this or do i require a funnel to shove in the dipstick tube?

Any other ideas as to problem greatly appreciated also!

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am

sorry to tell you but the dip stick hole is the go
Back to top Go down
Dangarus

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks Ruffnut,

that is not a problem, a cheap funnel will make that an easy job. More of a problem if it doesnt fix reverse....!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto Gearbox Problem   Auto Gearbox Problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auto Gearbox Problem
Page 1 of 1