Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan Empty
PostSubject: Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan   Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 am

Having had my bus for some time, I was alarmed by the development of a shudder when starting off. Harsh acceleration got rid of it but a slow take-off produced symptoms of a engine mounting failure, shaking from stem to stern, especially on an uphill slope.

The autobox was changing smoothly - fluid was red and unburnt & frequently changed, the kick down cable adjustment was per specification (The cable ferrule being 1mm from the end of the red boot-35mm from ferrule to housing on full throttle) but something was amiss.

The line pressure was to specification, no leaks and once the bus was moving a smooth as silk.

The problem seemed to be Kick-Down cable related, it appeared to be smooth in the cable sheath, no obvious fraying and visibly undamaged from autobox to throttle arm. Having played for many hours I concluded that the slack in the cable was ok to produce smooth running but as the ferrule was butted up to the cable housing the cable length between the auto valve body hidden behind the sump pan and the ferrule may be the cause of the vehicle shake.

By placing a metal spacer of 5mm in thickness( eventually I used a Biro pen spring cut to length and wound round the cable between the ferrule and the sheath) this appeared to solve the problem. Still keeping to the recommended overall cable adjustment as per workshop manual. To date after several thousand miles the box is performing as required with no shudder. WATCH THIS SPACE!

One of my engineer friends suggests that maybe the ferrule has slipped,or cable stretched, the extra adjustment in the valve body gives initial priority to the Torque Converter, shudder usually means insufficient fluid in the vanes. A cheap quick fix as opposed to Autobox removal and rebuild.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan   Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 am

Good post....cables always stretch as the years go by....
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan   Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:31 am

It wasn't the cable stetching! After being very careful on acceleration the vibration returned so it had to be something serious or fundamental.

There was indeed starvation to the Torque Converter!!

Off came the ATM sump and low and behold some of the valve body bolts were loose.

As the sump was off I removed the sump filter and removed the valve body. 17 bolts in total differing lengths so draw a sketch to ensure they are replaced correctly.
The cable was kinked slightly through age so a new one was fitted. The cable ferule is applied by the fitter after the cable is in place, there should be 0.8-1.00 mm gap between the ferule and the cable sheath end when the resistance is felt ( crimped with pliers),then the red sheath is pushed home and then the cable is adjusted to give 1mm ferule projection on wide throttle.
Be aware when and if you remove the valve body most of the fluid drains fron the oil pump & torque converter.
I filled up my normal refill amount and got no traction! It needed 2 litres more once the fluid was hot and all gears were selected,
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan   Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 1:34 am

Good info there mate. Many thanks
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan   Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 am

lol! To date this appears to have solved my "Earthquake on Acceleration".

The adjustment of the Kick-Down cable is critical and a point to note is that IF you adjust the cable to give a gear holding pattern - that is to say you expose more of the ferrule on full throttle another problem (NOT CRITICAL!) occurs.

The 1-3 gears change smoothly and with excellent acceleration then BANG at 40mph the overdrive (4th gear) engages. The result is LOADS of black smoke!!!

As you accelerate on the wide throttle, the Gearbox speed govenor changes automatically at approx 40mph from 3rd, and without the benefit of a Turbo the unburnt fuel lays a black carpet behind!

Got my emissions checked after an Injection Pump rebuild & calibration, timing was spot-on and normal running gives the results that fall well below the MOT spec.

THESE BUSES ARE MARVELS OF ENGINEERING EH??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan   Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Automatic Transmission Shudder 2.8ltr 1993 Campervan
Page 1 of 1