Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reseting timing belt light

Go down 
+11
cornishpasty
MalL
chrisandhiace
toldsimply
hattonhall
zawmintun
srburnsy
Dwayne
AussieQ
Clive
zoochy
15 posters
AuthorMessage
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

Reseting timing belt light Empty
PostSubject: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 pm

The timing belt change light comes on every time you roll 100,000 kilometres regardless of when the belt is actually changed. To reset it, remove the lower right section of the dashboard by removing the 2 screws that hold on the fuel filler cover lever.

Reseting timing belt light Reset_10

There is a screw in the little white piece of plastic that is just left of the key lock for the ignition (where the screwdriver is pointing):

Reseting timing belt light Reset_11

Remove the screw and move it to the other hole. This toggles the timing light between being on for odd or even 100,000s of kms. When your light comes on again after another 100,000 km move it back to the original position.

Reseting timing belt light Reset_12

Now if only changing the timing belt itself were that easy... More pictures to follow.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 10:01 am

So in theory if your light is not on and you move the screw it should then be on?

Thanks for that.

On the 1KZ-TE engine the timing belt is that easy!
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Yes in theory, it should come on.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 11:24 am

Good one , thanks for that mate.Got another 20k to go before I need it.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dwayne

Number of posts : 21
Model and year : 1995 KZH106G

Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 7:46 am

Fantastic...I was hoping someone would post this info!
I thought you had to take out the whole dash but this looks relatively painless.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:31 am

Yeah dont worry you still might have to... mine is nothing like zoochys, will have to take whole dash out one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dwayne

Number of posts : 21
Model and year : 1995 KZH106G

Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:46 am

Dang....yeah I've seen a picture somewhere that shows the same type of screw holes on the back of the dash/combination meter circuit board...ie you have to remove the meter....havent checked mine yet!
Back to top Go down
zawmintun

Number of posts : 1
Home City : yangon
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I cannot find the screw to reset the timing belt light in my 1999 model super custom 4wd living saloon ex
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 am

Yeah mate i never found mine either, think its different on the newer models. My lamp eventually went out. Shocked
Back to top Go down
hattonhall
hattonhall

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Woodridge
Model and year : Super Custom Hiace 1988
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Thanks for this one!   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 6:57 am

I had kinda gotten used to that little light..........but now she just has to go!

cheers

petros likes this post

Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 12:33 pm

How often do you need change the timing belt in the 2.8ltr (1993). Was reading in the manual and it reckoned every 10,000 miles, which ead liek a misprint to me surely?
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 12:35 pm

ps. cheers for letting me know how to remove that bottom right panel, has been vexing me and the factory fit speakers are seriously in need of replacement....
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I think 100,000 kms would be right....
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 9:15 am

Toldsimply - the timing belt light on my 1991 2.8l came on at 90,000km. The vehicle was imported used from Japan so no knowing how genuine those kms are.
Back to top Go down
cornishpasty
cornishpasty

Number of posts : 12
Home City : truro
Model and year : 1994 hiace custom 4wd

Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Just to say i have just reset the light on my mothers 95 super long hi-top (its a base spec van) and the screw is in the back of the dash binnacle and clearly marked, my 94 custom looks the same, i think its only the sc's that you can reset with the clocks in place. it takes a bit longer but still relatively straight foward. wouldn't have had a clue how to reset it without looking on this forum, so thanks again to all those that post on here.
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Elusive

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Tauranga, New Zealand
Model and year : 1994 Supercustom, Lowered on 18" Lenso Mags, 5% Rear Tints 35% Front tints.
Registration date : 2011-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:56 pm

The KZH100 series Super custom (08/93 upto around the 99 era) are on the back of the dash cluster.

You need to remove the bottom panel as shown above, then remove the black surround that is around speedo cluster/airvents/radio/buttons, to do this part is very tricky (hidden screws up inside the air vents in the center of the dash) and time consuming, it normally requires the clock and extra buttons to be unplugged (be careful as the clock and the hazard lights are the same style plug on most vans).

Then the speedo comes out with 4 screws around it. Once out there are 3-4 plugs on the back of it which need to be unplugged and you will see the screw marked "timing belt" move the screw over one hole and reinstall all your dash in the opposite order to above.

Hope this helps someone down the line.
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 2:59 am

I can confirm that it is the same process as zoochy's LH107G on my LH107W (analog vs digital cluster). Mine came on a couple days ago @100,000km. So nice to not have to pull the dash to get at that screw!
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 5:17 am

It's irrelevant now that we don't have the van any more, but ours was on the back of the cluster and damn that speedo cable is hard to unplug and even harder to plug back in so you folks with the electronic speedo have it so much easier. Clearly little Japanese hands were really needed for that job.
As our belt was changed at an odd interval, the screw was simply left out altogether on ours because it would be meaningless. Labels were attached to the engine instead with the information.
Back to top Go down
Bushmerv
Bushmerv

Number of posts : 16
Home City : Doncaster
Model and year : Toyota hi ace custom 4wd with a pop up top. It an m Reg from 1994
Registration date : 2017-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 am

Cheers for the info mate, I might give it a try one I get it back on the road :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reseting timing belt light   Reseting timing belt light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reseting timing belt light
Page 1 of 1