Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trigger wire for split charge

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Timber Technician

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Notts
Registration date : 2007-05-07

Trigger wire for split charge Empty
PostSubject: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 11:38 am

What colour or where is the trigger wire for the charging light on the dashboard from the alternator has I need to instal a split charger on a customers convertion to a camper.

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.timbertechnicians.co.uk
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 4:10 pm

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!!!! affraid I have found out the hard way that some of the Hiace's are very voltage sensitive and found it much easiler to purchace a voltage sensing relay. These units are three wires to fit and have a voltage threshold of 13.2v b4 they kick in and cut out at 12.9-13.1v.
We do this kind of work every day of the week and beleive me when we were doing my van, it was causing warning lights on the dash to come up, so in the end I got a 100a rated unit and it works perfectly!!! Cool It is charging 2x 125ah deep cycle leisure batteries which I can go 5 days on without having to charge again!!
Have also spoken to one of my close mates whom again works in the leisure industry (Caravans) and on these as well as the dreaded bongo's, he uses a voltage sensing unit every day of the week, it's quicker and cheaper in the long run!
Back to top Go down
Timber Technician

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Notts
Registration date : 2007-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks for that. Where do I get one and how do I wire it in. Thanks for the help.

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.timbertechnicians.co.uk
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 8:56 pm

You can source them from most good caravan/towbar shops, but they will normally try to sell you a 30amp rated unit. This is fine if the charging is for a conventional caravan/motorhome install but you would need 2 (1x fridge, 1x charging leisure battery). If you want a more powerfull unit, then Maplin, Autoleads or CPC.
Wiring in could't be easier. 1x Engine battery Positive, 1x Leisure battery Positive, 1x Ground. If you are charging batteries and powering a fridge, may I suggest that if you don't get you hands on a high output unit, put a second relay in for the fridge on it's own.
With mine at 100amp, no worries about doing both!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 10:25 pm

I got one with a fridge socket that I bought for the towing bracket. It is easy to fit.
What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:21 am

www.western-towing.co.uk/acatalog/Towbar_electrical_parts.html

Here you will find part n.o ELSCR1, which is a self switching relay priced at £12.87 inc vat. Should do the job, but before you buy, ask and make sure that it doesn't require the trigger wire from the alternator Very Happy, looking at it and the way it's worded it should be ok. If all else fails, pm me and will try and source one through my contacts afro
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 10:25 pm

when you mean the hiaces are voltage sensitive are you reffering to all the electrics cos i recently had an oil pipe go on the turbo and when this was replaced i have problems with the temp gauge(starts to rise then jumps up to high without going back down)and the oil level light flickering constantly when running.i have been told to get both sensors but i think they are linked. ive also checked for bare/chaffed wires but no luck.any advice?
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 9:55 pm

The thing with what happened with Bruce, is the circuits involved with the charging/dash as very sensitive in as much as they do not like anything added that wasn't ther previous. Your problem sounds alot like my old man's where he had a gbox change and a multiblock was disturbed, nightmare to trace but got ther in the end. Follow the loom that picks up the sensor cables to a blue mulitblock, to which you need to diconnect, clean up the connections and reconnect and that solved the problem. Hopefully it's the same Very Happy
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:12 pm

cheers will look will look when she comes back(still in garage,hopefully only pump timing) just tried wigglin level and temp terminals but more in hope i think
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 10:19 pm

mmmmmm haven't I found the perfect upgrade. Sterling power products do a Battery to Battery charger, not the cheapest bit of kit (£175.00), but it's a Multistage charger which kicks in 15 seconds after the motor is running and produces up to 50amps current fooling the alternator that the engine batt needs charging but distributing the power to the Leisure Batteries.
Am being sent one to try, will let you all know how I got on Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Just tried out the Sterling.......What a piece of kit Very Happy . Diliberatley flattened the leisure Batteries, ran the van for 20 mins and meter shows 93% capacity. In such a short space of time, I am well impressed. Yes it's not cheap, but certainly get value for money Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trigger wire for split charge   Trigger wire for split charge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trigger wire for split charge
Page 1 of 1