Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need more power.......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

Need more power....... Empty
PostSubject: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:41 pm

after my cold start problem (glow plugs goosed) i have decided to get the injectors rebuilt.had the old girl a while now and dont know if they contributed to the glowies dying,having read that a leaky injector can contribute to this.i am gonna be using dieselbob Arrow http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/ as he helped with previous problems nobody wanted/could fix.the cost is roughly £30+vat per injector.whilst she is in there i am hoping to get fitted out with a denso bobbox Arrow http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/bobbox.shtml .have read nothing but good things on surf Need more power....... 880395 sites so i thought id bite the bullet and lash out.think we have probably touched on this somewhere on the forum but i dont think anybody has one.i will post more when i pick her up on friday.fingers crossed Smile
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:41 am

I for one am interested in the outcome
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Please post info when done. More power with improved economy is always worth considering. If it doesn't make it run smoky of course.

Our van has the power/economy button. I assume this is just a different mapping for the transmission behaviour, nothing to do with the engine itself.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:50 pm

Yes all it does is hold the gears into a higher rev before changing for your GT starts, or uses up fuel quicker, take your pick.

Look forward to the initial thoughts and the longer term reports.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 pm

i asked bob about intercooling it but he suggested charge cooling because of the limited space available under the engine bay.i suggested a front mounted(if possible)but he seemed to think it isnt worth the hassle.dunno much about intercooling only bits,but had a brief google of water/air charge coolers and they seem a bit chunky also http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170292744740&cguid=faf1ab3011e0a0aad3e02fc0fe0ad429 that is why i would have prefered just running pipes to the front.money and the awkwardness of doing it might just put me off,dunno,maybe i will be overcome with the need for speed and get the cutting gear out Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 2:55 pm

well i just got the bus back with the work done.injectors shagged(she did run ok though)x4,awkward glowplug fitted, bobbox supplied and labour total cost of £471.50.have been told to let it settle down for a while as it does smoke when hoofed,was told that the bits need to settle for a while and the box is self teaching.having only driven it for about an hour down the motorway i`d say its smoother through the gears foot not needed as much at lower speeds and boost is produced a bit quicker at the top end it does seem to get there better instead of having to be wound up.power is strange near the top end,a bit surgey (not a big problem) but i had read this on other forums about this.in short will give it a few weeks then adjust the fuelling on it(is running 1 notch of the very top setting) and see how i go,cant see me noticing the mpg for a while though.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 1:16 am

well its been a week and ive been messing about.one of the first things i noticed was that it tended to hunt slightly when cruising,not a big problem but noticeable.phoned bob and he said it was likely to be the box doing this and some cars dont like having them put on.i asked if this was retuneable but he said the 7 notches on the box were the only adjustment.i then set about trying different settings to see if this could be got rid of but it occurs all through the adjustments.here is my opinion/testing that was done.the bus was driven the same route on each test,briefly onto the motorway up hill and then off at the next junction and return to start point.here are my findings:

1, had to try it with the box off just to be sure that hunting wasnt there,test complete all ok back to normal,nice and smooth,no smoke when booting up hill on motorway

2, box fitted and on first notch,bit better all round,bit of smoke on booting

3, 2nd notch,bit better again,smoke about the same

4, 3rd notch,more noticable power around 60mph,tad more smoke

5, 4th notch,little pedal needed for low down power,definate noticeable grunt when hitting/passing 70mph,smoked like a builders van when hoofed

6, 5th notch,as above maybe more driveable,more top end delivery,smoke as above also this is probably where the smoke becomes quite bad

7, 6th notch,this is where i could not believe how much power was delivered at the top end,it comes in strong over 3000rpm and just keeps going but when you ease off the pedal the drop off is a bit savage

8, 7th notch,not really noticeable from the 6th notch

when driven normally no extra smoke is produced,only when you put your clog down and you dont have to now,although when you get to about the 3rd/4th notch the power produced lower down is fantastic and a bit funny to get used to at first because the brain is telling you your right foot should be down more for the speeds your eyes are seeing.

good points are:

more power Twisted Evil

bad points are:

cost Evil or Very Mad

the engine hunting(not a big problem)

before any of the work was carried out i used to think i had quite a nippy bus for a 2 ton diesel.now ive had the work done i honestly didnt think it would have made such a difference.it isnt a get away from the lights machine(although she does go a bit) but where you do notice it is on the hills,before i would hope it was still gonna be going the same speed when i got to the top,now i can accelerate up em no hassle.

in my humble opinion if you are keeping your hiace and have niggling doubts that you could do with a bit more power then the DIESELBOB BOBBOX is just for you.this power module also fits the 3.0 turbo diesels i believe(god only knows what one of those would go like).all things considered intercooling would have brought safer gains but the cost/access outway the cost/access/more power that the bobbox offers.who knows maybe theres a future cooling project for somebody there.any more info or help just ask or p.m me Very Happy .ALL VIEWS HERE ARE SRICTLY MY OWN AND PEOPLE WANTING TO FIT THIS TYPE OF MOD DO SO AT THEIR OWN RISK.ALSO ANYONE WHO CRINGES WHEN AN ENGINE SMOKES THEN THIS MOD IS NOT FOR YOU,THIS IS HOW IT WORKS, MORE POWER Very Happy = MORE FUEL Neutral = MORE SMOKE Shocked GEI IT scratch

Last edited by maximus on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:00 am

Great test mate, any Aus dealers that you know of ? Which unit did you get ?
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 pm

i am from england and the guy is about an hour from me.he will post stuff abroad details here http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/TC.shtml .the model i used was the one at the bottom of this link http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/bobbox.shtml . i did come across this site http://www.dpchip.com.au/ that was more local to youself(dunno how close aus looks a big place on a map).you would have to way up the pro`s and cons though and im not too sure how they both compare in price.maybe their chip doesnt have hunting issues.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:59 pm

It is a bit pricey at $1300 give or take a dollar or 2. They have one for the 1kz-te, but talking her inside into parting with a k and 1/2 for a bit of extra go ??? Need to win Loto Smile
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Bobbox now for sale.Please pm me if interested.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 12:04 am

Still for sale £180
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need more power.......   Need more power....... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need more power.......
Page 1 of 1