Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Empty
PostSubject: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 pm

Hello! Smile
I have a few problems with my 2.8 supercustom (autobox) which I've had nearly 5 yrs now. cyclops
But.......one problem at a time... Bus
My left boot is a different colour due to auto box fluid being sucked up the cable and dribbling down the back of the dash.
Yes...I've cleaned the boots....dyed the other good one to match with atf....used loads of kitchen roll behind the dash etc..but its getting stinky and inconvienient now! lol!
What is the cure?...looking at it I don't think the atf should be even reaching the cable...if anyone has already sorted this on their bus please let me know what to do...
Back to top Go down
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:32 am

Hi , never heard of that before , must have and oil seal in the box to stop atf getting into cable.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 7:14 am

Sounds like the auto box breather is blocked, and the box is pressurising when it gets hot.Any other leaks on the box?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Hi guys..thanks for responding. cheers

General net searches (for other cars) suggest new cable as remedy.
I'm not convinced though. Tracing the cable back to the gubbins end...the connecting gubbins enter the box by a plate which has 2 atf pipes attatched. My guess is there should be a seal there which is failing...just thought I'd ask in case anyone's fixed it before. These toyota bits mount up, so I don't want to spend till I'm 100% sure Rolling Eyes

I'll check the spring loaded breather John....it was stuck when I bought it...(I'd hear it depressurise occasionally)...but soon started working. Having said that I have hardly used the bus the last couple of years. Only other leak/weep is from bellhousing...but its so minor I have no concern...it does'nt drip...just the driver Smile .
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 11:52 pm

What am I on about?! Rolling Eyes ...there is no spring loaded breather..maybe that was the axle Suspect ...foggy memory!
The breathers are fine..and in theory any pressure would blow up the dipstick anyway.
Guess that just leaves the plate with 2 pipes going into the gearbox.
The motivation has'nt been there...but its MOT time...so time to sort her out.
I'll post the cure when I get it
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Another option for you -Try taking the cable off, pressure feed grease into the outer sleeve.
Should seal it it nothing else fails.
Good Hunting.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 pm

Good idea John..thank you!
Already have a few extra o-rings/seals in line...It'll truly be belt and braces when I sort it... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Well the fault is a lipped seal with round sprung wire.....rather like a very small version of a camshaft oil seal. Ideally you would remove the atf oil feeds from the housing at the side of the gearbox from where the speedo cable eminates.....(my spanners were bending so just loosened the pipe clip to allow movement)......remove the soft metal 3 screws (replace with 5mmx25mm bolts) and take the housing into the kitchen to route out the remains of the old seal. Be aware that 2 cog things will drop out of the side of the gearbox....having a small magnet or o-ring to retain the cogs in situ would be handy).
A pig to get back as the small one needs to fit on the shaft and mate with a loose pin. If the gearbox has stopped with the pin at the vertical its very fiddly and frustrating as the pin keeps dropping).
Anyway...not having the toyota lipped seal I've just put a couple of o-rings in as a very temporary measure.
Not looking forward to the real repair
Probably (in addition to the lipped seal) wise to get a new toyota housing o- ring and o- rings for the atf pipes at the same time...I have alot of o-ring sets but nothing toyota sized.
MOT has highlighted a number of tasks to be done....oh joy! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Well I've had it on the kitchen table tried some 'heath robinson ideas'.....bottom line is although its only a small glued in seal thats gone....toyota only supply the complete trochoid pump. As there's another seal at the transfer box end of the gear its probably best to sort it properly to prevent transfer box and power steering fluid cross contamination
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1991_TOYOTA_HIACE_LH107G-JRPES_4508.html?hl=44370
Its actually powersteering fluid being pumped onto my foot.....guess it must be related to sensing the speed and power assistance required
£50 + VAT....of to toyota parts tomorrow No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash   Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaking speedo cable (atf) behind dash
Page 1 of 1