Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Towing weights.

Go down 
+3
maximus
kev
Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 10:46 pm

This can go here...

Has anybody got any DECENT towing weight information ?

Is the 3.lt much better than the 2.4 ETC ETC
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
kev

Number of posts : 18
Home City : west australia
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 1:24 am

hi i tow a 5meter boat and the van does it no problem. even when we go away and it gets loaded up with camping and fishing gear it goes very good . i have found that around town its best to leave the overdrive off as the box does tend to go into top . i was told buy the auto trans joint it is best to leave od off especially in town . ifind the gearing a bit wrong for what i do but i dont like putting too many rpm on the motor so in town up to about 70 klm/hr od off and once i get to 80 + i put od back on it
seems to be the way to go
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Having just come back from towing my 2 axle 21 foot caravan I agree with switching the O/D off. The engine revs too highly and changes the gears to quickly.

Other than that ... NO PROBLEM with the power.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 7:22 pm

is yours the 2.4 2.8 or3.0? only asking as mines 2.4 and will be getting a caravan at the end of the month.i got told towsure have a conversion chart so you can type in your vehicle and find out what you need.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 8:32 pm

"Bessie" is a 3.0lt.

The caravan club has an outfit matching service where you can give the details of your outfit and they will do the maths and tell you if its safe / legal.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 10:06 pm

found it here we go... http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Practical+advice/Thinking+of+buying/Outfit+matching/Outfit+matching.htm
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 8:13 am

found this if it helps anyone http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/Documents/Matching%20Car%20and%20Caravan.pdf had my 2.4 on weighbridge with full tank it weighed 2200kgs
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am

Long time replying.... From what I understand, the gross towing capacity of the Supercustom is 750kg unbraked and 1400kg braked. I don't have the owner's manual so am curious if it corroborates this.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 pm

2. Car towing weight and width limits
Most cars have a maximum weight they can tow. It’s usually listed in the handbook or specification sheet.

Alternatively the vehicle’s ‘gross train weight’ may be listed on the vehicle identification number (VIN) plate on the car. This is normally under the bonnet or inside the driver’s door.

The gross train weight is the weight of the fully-loaded car plus fully-loaded trailer and must not be exceeded.

If your VIN plate doesn’t list a train weight, you should not use your vehicle for towing.
Vegpot, 19 April 2016
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 pm

JT69 wrote:
The gross train weight is the weight of the fully-loaded car plus fully-loaded trailer and must not be exceeded.

If your VIN plate doesn’t list a train weight, you should not use your vehicle for towing.

Useful info, I always wondered what that meant!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 4:00 pm

I have the slowest engine in the Hiace, but perhaps the highest towing weight?

Max total vehicle weight is 2900kg, and the "train weight" is 4900kg on the VIN plate.
This is inline as how my vehicle is registered in our country, where a towing weight of 2000kg is listed.
I have a LH118 4x4 body type which is pretty heavy by itself, so this is the LWB (but not the extra long wheel base). I would say it is all very comparable, however, do note that I have leaf suspension instead of coil springs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Towing weights. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing weights.   Towing weights. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towing weights.
Page 1 of 1