Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

larger tire size

Go down 
+10
mattyj
mr freeze
cyfad
bredzy
JohnHRef999
Spud_Gun
kev
Admin
room101
zoochy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 11:03 pm

Is anyone running a larger diameter tire than the stock
P205/70R/15
= 26" x 8.07" x 15"

If so what size will fit?
thanks.
Back to top Go down
room101
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 90
Home City : Torbay
Registration date : 2007-03-21

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Mine are 215, but on alloys...

larger tire size DSCF3444
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 11:12 pm

According to:
http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

215 70R15 would be about 1/2" diameter larger and only give about 2km/h more at 100km/h. I'm looking to lower the RPM's at highway speeds w/o changing the ratio of the differencials.

Anyone manage to fit any larger tires?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 pm

Will check mine tomorrow. rabbit
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com Online
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Sorry "stock" sizes. Wink
Back to top Go down
kev

Number of posts : 18
Home City : west australia
Registration date : 2007-03-23

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 pm

hi the awd runs 215/70r 15 on 6 inch rims . i was looking at some 7 inch either 15 or 16
(prado) but there does not look like much room there so might not gain to much for the cost of changing though i have just seen some hi lux mags that look very interesting cheers
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Noticed on the back of the Toyota that you are advertising anothe club, they quite happy with Hiace's Question
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 8:08 pm

BOO BLACK LEG lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
room101
Not so new now
Not so new now

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Spud_Gun wrote:
Noticed on the back of the Toyota that you are advertising anothe club, they quite happy with Hiace's Question

Yep its more of a toyota MPV club now.... they do great meets and cheap to, and you get discounts with certain insurers as well.... mine is £230 fully comp with all the extras thrown in...
Back to top Go down
room101
Not so new now
Not so new now

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 9:22 pm

Admin wrote:
BOO BLACK LEG lol! lol! lol!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 7:45 am

I joined the Estima club to get info on Brean. I wonder if their discount structure for insurance would stretch to the Hiace. WIll post later.
Back to top Go down
room101
Not so new now
Not so new now

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Admin wrote:
I joined the Estima club to get info on Brean. I wonder if their discount structure for insurance would stretch to the Hiace. WIll post later.

Got to pay your 20 beanies....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 4:09 am

You guys hi-jacked this thread!
Back to the topic.

I just put 225 70 R15 tires on my Hiace. They fit w/ enough room for chains (hopefully).

dM.

thisissimple likes this post

Back to top Go down
room101
Not so new now
Not so new now

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 7:47 am

How often do you need chains.... Question
Back to top Go down
kev

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: tyres   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 1:33 pm

hi did you change the rim size when you put the 225 70r 15 tyres on ?
is it on an awd? as the rims on the awd are 6inch
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 11:07 pm

I need chains everytime I drive up to my favorite ski hill. It has a 20km logging road access that is not well maintained. Local beach access occasionally requires chains as well. I'm live in coastal Canada where one can drive through rain, freezing rain, snain, slush, and snow all withing a couple thousand feet in elevation.

I have 15" rims. 1991 4x4 supercustom. The 4x4 has locking hubs (not awd).

Very happy w/ these tires so far. I get about 7% extra speed w/ them as well. Instead of cruising at 100km/h it goes about 107 at the same RPM.
Back to top Go down
kev

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: tyres 4x4 awd chains   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 2:10 pm

hi sounds like you give it a bit to do , and sounds like it does ok.
mine is a 96 3litre turbo auto awd i got it mainly to tow a boat without any hassle at slippery ramps ,though when i went trouting a while back it bottomed out on the gravel tracks going to the dam. it was pretty low in the front so wound up the torsion bars about 1 1/2 inches and put air bags in back have been on a couple of sand tracks but nothing that would really try it out. i am interested to here how they go in a bit of loose stuff .yours sounds like it does ok. the bags are reallygreat in the rear when towing and also can lift it up as well . im running 6inch rims i was thinking that 225 tyres might be too much for 6 inch rims how does yours go ?
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 2:45 am

Pardon my ignorance but what are the air bags you have in the back? (please provide a link for a manufacturer or image)

I'm not sure how wide my rims are... I think they are 6" as well. The tires size is limited by the back side of the front wheel wells on full turn. Width of the tire is as much a limiting factor as diameter.

I agree, the Hiace is unfortunately a bit low to the ground despite having a solid suspension. The larger diameter tires help out a bit but I have to be really carefull not to bottom out in ruts. There are skid plates underneath so as long as you are going slow while scraping over gravel your not going to rip anything off. The 4x4 (limited slip diff) is really good in the snow/ice. I go slow on gravel. I have not driven in sand yet. Hard thing to do in this country. Deep puddles scare me due to the location of the airfilter...
Back to top Go down
kev

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: coils   larger tire size Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 12:55 pm

hi i dont know if you have the coils in the rear end but i like the sound of the lsd mine didnt get that. i had some coil rite air bags put in the coils and you put x amount of air in them to stop sagging in the rear when towing . it also holds the tail up without compromising the ride .i could have put heavier coils in but that would have produced a harsher ride but probably lifted it a bit more but as i tow a fair bit i think over a long distance with coils it would probably still sag . they come back to normal after you take the weight of ,but with air bags you dont have that prob ,so if you load up to go camping just pop about 20/ 25 psi in and your bus stays level. i leave about 15/20 in all the time .you can get some on ebay cheaper than what i paid as i got a suspension place to do mine as once again i came up against this imported car thing
the box has firestone coilrite airbag suspension written on it
cr 5022 complete with 4" x 2" spacers
rodeo/ musso sports hope this sheds some light for you. love the sound of the country you play in don't know about the snow though could be a bit willie nillie
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 8:43 pm

See my posting on ALLOY WHEELS
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

Number of posts : 42
Home City : Roseau
Model and year : 1997 Toyota Hiace Wagon
D-T G CABIN X
Registration date : 2010-05-29

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 am

Greetings all.

How many pounds of air is reccomended for the tires of a 1997 Toyota Hiace, the 10 seater? Tires are stock.

bredzy
Back to top Go down
cyfad
cyfad

Number of posts : 9
Home City : auckland nz
Model and year : 1996 Toyota Hiace Super Custom G 3.0 turbo full time 4wd manual
Registration date : 2010-09-24

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:28 am

Hi, il put in my 2 cents, have just recently upgraded my wheels on my SC, mainly i was after better fuel economy, drop the revs a bit, better clearance and a better foot print on the road (205/70 felt like they were gona fall off the rim around corners)
I have purchased a set of factory alloys off the new shape d4d hilux, 255/70 15, bolt straight on and with a little bit of panel beating and 10mm lift on the front and we were away laughing.
Feels much more stable around corners, lower rpm, the 1kz has enough power to turn them but the only trouble is the speedo is out now, 50kph on speedo is more like 57kph, and on highway if i sit around 85kph on speedo im keeping up with traffic doing 100 kph, small price to pay for a considerable improvement in ride, and it looks cool too
Cheers
Back to top Go down
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 8:41 am

lucky its a manual, because big wheels affect the speed at which the torque converter locks up
Back to top Go down
cyfad
cyfad

Number of posts : 9
Home City : auckland nz
Model and year : 1996 Toyota Hiace Super Custom G 3.0 turbo full time 4wd manual
Registration date : 2010-09-24

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:18 pm

I have got a mate running 2 of these vans with the same wheels as glazeing vans, they are auto but seem to go ok, however one was taken 4wdriving in soft sand, with the bigger wheels in sand at low speed the head eventualy gave out and cracked, wont be taking mine there...
Back to top Go down
mattyj
Been here a while
Been here a while
mattyj

Number of posts : 118
Home City : Liverpool Sydney
Model and year : 92 Toyota Hi-ace 4x4 Super custom non turbo
Registration date : 2010-08-05

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 11:56 pm

would 31/10.5/r15 lt fit a 92 sc 4wd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

larger tire size Empty
PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   larger tire size Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

larger tire size
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next