Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear dumb breaks binding.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Coleyflower

Number of posts : 11
Home City : New Zealand
Model and year : 1994, Toyota Hiace Supercustom, KZH106, 4wd, 1KZ, Auto
Registration date : 2020-03-31

Rear dumb breaks binding.  Empty
PostSubject: Rear dumb breaks binding.    Rear dumb breaks binding.  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 3:28 am

Hi all.

My Rear Drum breaks on my KZH106 4WD SC are binding. I’ve loosened them multiple times using the lil cog wheel trick and a couple screw drivers but after driving for 10mins they start binding. I had loosened them once and then took the van to the Warrant of fitness centre 5 mins down the road and then the left rear was binding allready and the right rear was still free. I think that the left rear is having issues retracting when breaks are applied and since I’m guessing the rear breaks auto adjust to each other that the rear right break is just adjusting to the rear left, making them both bind up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all loads.
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 166
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear dumb breaks binding.    Rear dumb breaks binding.  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 10:48 pm

Could be the wheel cylinders. I think that is the name.. the bits that push the brakes out when the fluid gets pushed into them.

Maybe they don't want to go backwards.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 527
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear dumb breaks binding.    Rear dumb breaks binding.  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 10:51 pm

Hello Coleyflower.

When I saw your post I thought I’d replied to a similar post on binding of front disks and it turns out this was from you. Did you fix those and what did you do?

Rear drum brakes (pure drums, rather than rear disks with drum handbrakes) are practically the same on every Toyota. The best and most likely fix is to service them and the manuals and relevant YT videos are the best way to do this. The problem, as NickZ points out, could be due to the wheel cylinders but I think you are also more likely to have binding brakes when the shoes are more worn out.

If the fronts were binding and also the rears, then this is maybe related to fluid / (rear cylinders / front callipers) and maybe the master cylinder pushing fluid through, and it not coming back when the pedal is released. This might be related the servo leaking vacuum so the brakes are pushed on a tad.

A couple of other points might be to ensure the pedal is in the right place and the springs are all attached and correct (also in the wheels btw). It might also be the master cylinder needs a rebuild / replace as it could be not releasing correctly.

Hope this all makes a bit of sense? If you can say what you did to fix the binding front brakes then this would be helpful.

Another point is that the fluid might need flushing through. Most cars should have the fluid changed every few years as it absorbs water and when fluid containing moisture gets hot then it expands and is more likely to push on the brakes.

Sorry to not be more precise, but a bit more info might be helpful on what you’ve already done first?

That you have had problems in the balance of the brakes suggest they do need a service.

Oh and the foot brake operates the wheel cylinder (obvs) but if you have typical rear drum brakes (pure drums, rather than rear disks with drum handbrakes), which I expect you have then the handbrake does the take-up adjustment in the brakes. At the end of adjustment / service you should pump the handbrake to set the brake shoes correctly, then the foot brake will actuate the brakes when in motion. If the handbrake mechanism is not working properly then the shoes won’t set properly. So, another place to look is that the handbrake!

HTH and do report back.

NickZ likes this post

Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 166
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear dumb breaks binding.    Rear dumb breaks binding.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2024 11:31 pm

Very interesting about the handbrake function, I would never have thought that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear dumb breaks binding.    Rear dumb breaks binding.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear dumb breaks binding.
Page 1 of 1