Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
trusight191

Number of posts : 7
Home City : sydney
Registration date : 2023-09-05

Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift? Empty
PostSubject: Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift?   Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2023 7:07 am

Hi guys I have a 1998 SC 3.0 TD 4WD and I have been having some problems when going off road tracks I often hit rocks on the bottom front or rear and its very jarring, that or the back wheel falls off and have manually put it back on. Its a 4WD van but its extremely low and not high off the ground as a modern 4WD, especially some engine parts come down very low and fuel tank I believe, which kinda sucks for 4WDing when its more bulky rocks :/

So I am wondering what I can do to raise it or lift it safely? and since I currently need new tires I was thinking maybe a bigger tire will help? or will that then be an issue on turns? There's only 2 inch gap.

I currently am running MAXTREK SU-800 (215/75/15R) which came with the van when I bought it and I have been looking into the Hankook Dynapro AT2 Xtreme or the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

My van also is built into a campervan so its probably quite heavier than stock not sure whats the weight or what tires are best but I was wondering about 235/70/15 or 235/75/15 potentially?

I go off road about 30 - 40% of the time when I travel around Aus. Thanks
Back to top Go down
OKJDM
Not so new now
Not so new now
OKJDM

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 SC 4x4 1KZ turbo - Project camper

(Also '92 JZX90 MKII & '03 JZX110 BLIT Wagon)
Registration date : 2021-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift?   Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2023 9:44 am

Yo..
without at least a 2" lift & some 'manipulation' of the inner front guards - you will struggle to turn out of your driveway with 236/75's
Wheel offset will help a little but won't give you enough.
Then once tyres mounted you will no longer be able to open sliding door as it will stop at the rear's.. so then you will have to modify the slider to extend past...
Then have to throw the spare up on the roof rack cos that will no longer fit in the carrier underneath.
- whilst ya underneath cable tie some pool noodles around your fuel lines etc to give them abit more protection when offroading..
Once lifted, some of your other suspension related components may need replacing due to its new angle since lifting it.
Gear ratio is another thing to look at once lifted & bigger tyres.
Adjustable pan-hard rod is a must
& AT3W are amazing.

Its all part of the fun right?

Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift? 20230212

trusight191 likes this post

Back to top Go down
trusight191

Number of posts : 7
Home City : sydney
Registration date : 2023-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift?   Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2023 10:43 am

Thanks for the reply, In that case I might stick to the original size and just get a new pair, may not be able to get the AT3 with 215s but I can go for the Dynapro AT2s, I don't off-road that much but definitely need to sort this height situation out as when I am traveling I go on dirt roads sometimes and need to get to a good spot to camp for the night.

To simplify for me since I never done this kinda stuff before nor understand what you mean too well, what do you suggest I do, and who can I go to that can sort me out and roughly how much am I looking at?

PS Nice Ride !

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
OKJDM
Not so new now
Not so new now
OKJDM

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 SC 4x4 1KZ turbo - Project camper

(Also '92 JZX90 MKII & '03 JZX110 BLIT Wagon)
Registration date : 2021-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift?   Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2023 11:34 am

search & research will be your best bet...
There is a few FB pages that cover quite abit of info & questions answered by other 'newcomers'
Suspension.. will be budget based.. as per most mods, however the only advice i do have.. is not to go down the Pedders suspension - XY falcon spring route... Its just rubbish... yes it lifts but has no structural integrity whatsoever..especially if your van now has extra weight from a fitout.
Spend the money & get decent stuff.
Price wise as a ball park... anywhere from $1k-2kish installed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift?   Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Needing Assistance on tires and potential raise/lift?
Page 1 of 1