Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Empty
PostSubject: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 1:05 pm

I have recently fitted a boost gauge to the ol`bus and thought id share my expedition Smile .This mod is fairly straight forward and probably of interest to those wishing to mod their performance or monitor a potential problem.I have also fitted a temp gauge to act as backup to the original.As i didnt want to hack the dash to bits to fit the gauges and because i didnt want to pay£30+ for a door post pod to fit them in, i mounted them here HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Clocks10 Next step was to figure out where to run the piping to the gauge from the engine.Because my engine is the 2.4turbo this is where i had to tee into the system with the piece supplied (tee piece in white in centre of pic) HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE T_piec10 .I fed the piping over the top rad hose and loosely clipped with tie wraps and pushed the hose through the small glimmer of light in the pick below the top hose in the picture HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Route110 .The pipe came out here under the drivers wheelarch HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Route210 and was run behind the pipes you see.Next step was to remove the plastic wheelarch trim inside(3screws DONT PULL),and the trim needs to be pushed forward towards the front of the van to release it from a hidden clip.The carpet was rolled back and the rubber grommit(left of pic) had a cross cut into it to push the piping through.The pipe was then layed alongside where the floor slightly raises to protect it and fed round the back of the accelarator pedal HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Route310 .The final step was mounting the gauges and where to feed everything.Because it was convienient i chose to feed everything through where the brake resevoir is situated and to modify the cap HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Elecs_10 .The bottom of the dash(obviously) has to be removed to gain access to the wiring and to allow easy feeding of the piping.The clocks were mounted with a combination of a thin metal bracket purchased from motorworld(£2.50 seen in pic against and going behind door post) ideal as it didnt need cutting and used existing screw below resevoir cap as the bottom mount, and a couple of small strips of sticky backed velcro(£1.99)purchased from local diy shop.To get the gauges to sit together i fitted the clasps that came with the gauges and used milliput to attach them.The earthing was connected behind the dash to a mount and the positive was connected to the yellow and black from the ignition.The gauges were purchased from local dealer(£50 when i went in£43 when i came out) but i had to purchase extra piping for it to reach the front in one go(try local aquarium shop).Some usefull info if your thinking about modding or diagnosing,the acctuator pressure set on the 2.4 engine is 7 p.s.i(i have a new one and it produces this on the gauge aswell).This, depending on age an state of the acctuator can be up or down a little bit but 7 p.s.i is a factory setting.The e.c.u actually monitors this via the boost sensor and will cut back/retard fuel e.t.c to maintain safe levels of boost.The e.c.u is set roughly to apply safety measures at about 11.5 p.s.i (13.5 was achieved on mine).While upping the boost will get you performance,it will do so at the expense of the turbo/engine so PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.Levels of boost banded about around other forums reguarding tweaking this engine are between 9-10.5 p.s.i .THIS ISNT THE SAFE AMOUNT IT IS THE AMOUNT CONSIDERED TO BE ENOUGH SO AS NOT TO TRIGGER THE SAFETY SYSTEMS OF THE E.C.U.Those serious about modding boost levels would be advised to fit an intercooler first to their system as this helps reduce inlet temps and allows more fuel to be added.Hope all this blarb is of use to someone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Looks like a useful mod. Thanks for posting it.
Can I nit-pick? ....Rubber (or braided rubber) vacuum hose is available from motor factors and designed for jobs like this, unless you're sure the aqarium hose can stand the heat without going soft. You might want a grommet for that hole in the wheel arch too.
Al
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:46 pm

cheers bud but the auto shops round here are a bit sparse for stuff.will have to get a gromit from work.the job was a bit rushed but im happy with the results,will let you know how the piping lasts Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Big Lloyd
Been here a while
Been here a while
Big Lloyd

Number of posts : 103
Home City : East Hertfordshire UK
Model and year : 1994 sc 2.4td
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 pm

I have looked at boost guages and note that they seem to have different boost readings of(some are only 1bar and others 3bar)...... which did you go for?
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 11:20 pm

sorry should have said,i used one which measured p.s.i as they wont quite generate a bar(unless you have serious problems).also figures quoted on other sites when i was reading up was all in p.s.i
Back to top Go down
Big Lloyd
Been here a while
Been here a while
Big Lloyd

Number of posts : 103
Home City : East Hertfordshire UK
Model and year : 1994 sc 2.4td
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for that!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 8:09 pm

for anyone who has a power loss and thinks that boost maybe the problem,the first place to look(on the 2.4) would be(2nd photo down)where the tee piece is there is a small pipe with a 90 degree bend in it.this goes to a thing that looks like a small filter that then connects to a fatter pipe and then to the manifold.this is an area where pipes tend to come off(probably because of the age/pressure) so a quick check around this area could rectify your problems Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Many thanks for this Maximus, helped me no end. The only diff between yours and the 3ltr turbo that I could see was that there is a turbo sensor between where you put your T piece and the filter.

Good tut Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE   HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HOW TO FIT A BOOST GAUGE
Page 1 of 1