Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

headlight options SC

Go down 
+4
CCMark
DJPOWER
geoffreyKZH138V
LH119V
8 posters
AuthorMessage
r32_doriftoo
r32_doriftoo

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Hamburg
Model and year : 1994 Hiace Super Custom Limited 2WD Diesel
Registration date : 2022-11-21

headlight options SC Empty
PostSubject: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2022 10:04 am

Hi everyone,

first of all: super happy to finally found an old fashioned forum like this - can't handle those Facebook groups haha. Wink  

I just finished creating my account and want to introduce me as a new member in this forum. Since I didn't finde a ”new member“ section I have to sacrifice my first tech thread for my introduction.

My name is Dominik, I'm from northern Germany and recently imported a 94 Super Custom from Japan which will be registered soon. Since registering an import car (especially RHD) can be quite tricky, we need to address a few things before sending the car to the TÜV-station (similar to a British MOT center or else) to make it road legal.

headlight options SC IMG-8062

Beside a working fog light we need to change the light pattern of the head lights to LHD traffic which requires custom fabrication. The most common customization is to retrofit a specific hella lens to each headlight but since the 94 model Hiace has old style glass headlights with its light pattern in the glass instead of the reflector it would mess up the pattern which means I would need clear headlight glass to make it work properly. Since I don't like the look of those lenses I decided to install a EUDM Hiace headlight in the housing of the JDM one, are you guys still with me?  Laughing Sleep

My question is: Are there any aftermarket cheadlights (Depo or else?) available for the 94 model Hiace super custom?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Dominik

OKJDM likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2022 9:27 pm

Hallo und willkommen im Forum!

Nice van!

There’s a ‘show us yours’ section if you want to elaborate but no dramas.

I also have a Japanese import (I expect most people here do) but did not do the importing. In order to comply with UK traffic rules my van needed to have a fog light added when imported. This was a fairly generic, aftermarket square thing fitted below the rear bumper. It’s not very neat and not very slick. To power it, there’s additional switched feed fed through the van with the fog switch (glows when on) underneath the steering column and the positive wiring running rearwards down the RHS then out to the lamp. The earth feeds to a common earth in the right rear storage area (mine is a camper).

It might be possible to incorporate a P21W fog light into a tail light unit depending on the rear light clusters and your local regs. I expect you’d need a spare, unused lamp unit and it would also have to have an unused blank on the other side. Here in the UK fog lamps are generally on one side only (so that they don’t get confused with brake lamps or outshine / dazzle them) or are fitted well away from brake and tail lamps (like below the bumper on my Hiace, which is really not a great place).

If I do any rewiring of my foglamp I might replace the switch with a dash mounted, illuminated one on one of the blanks.

On the front lights, there are lots of US etc owners on here so I presume they are more knowledgeable on changing the beam pattern to suit driving on the other side of the road to what Toyota intended.

For parts and other resources in general take a look at this deceptively short and simple post:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4468-part-numbers

The bold text are things to look up and the EPC is a great resource. Many of the manuals etc do describe LH and RH drive vehicle types but I’m unsure if they also cover headlamps and beam patterns.

Best of luck in your searches and

HTH!

r32_doriftoo likes this post

Back to top Go down
r32_doriftoo
r32_doriftoo

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2022 10:34 am

Hi LH119V,

Thank you for the warm welcome (even in German!!!) appreciate your detailed description of how it's done in the UK.

I'm quite familiar with the regulations and fabrication work over here since we have a few JDM imported cars in our private inventory - call it an obsession Razz

Our cars have to have a fog light + switch installed too. As you explained it can be done with an external generic fog light, using a red bulb in a rewired reverse lamp or similar. Not that hard of a job tbh.

Since I would like to keep the JDM front grille I opened one of the headlights and started to flatten the pattern by sanding it down. That's basically why I thought it would be handy to have some sort of a clear glass cover which I would combine with the OEM headlight as its a super time consuming job.

Pictures for reference:

headlight options SC Bd65eaf3-16ba-4c38-98cc-f737c11d0ebc

headlight options SC E9042a93-31e4-49db-8f55-e98494481ae7

The easier solution is running the EUDM grille + headlights but I'm not too sure if I like the look + I struggle to find the right brackets to hold everything in place:

headlight options SC 4cbde393-dde5-4a7a-8e38-191c9c301087
Back to top Go down
geoffreyKZH138V
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 45
Home City : Moffat Beach
Registration date : 2021-09-05

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 12:11 am

my headlights are later model...but this might help: I was considering ordering complete headlight assy from alibaba... I asked for confirmation of RHD and was told it was a internal adjustment only?
I also considered doing a hack with 3" led projector beams... and I might follow through on that.
For oem style you can grab the part number off epc-data and google that for suppliers... or grab an oem headlight photo and use google lens to find similar images which lead to suppliers.... Perhaps a supplier in a LHD country (Philipines?) might give you confidence that LHD is supplied

Last edited by geoffreyKZH138V on Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
DJPOWER

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Russia Krasnodar
Model and year : KZH106
Registration date : 2022-06-28

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 4:05 am

Hello Dominic. I just turned the headlight bulb 30° in the opposite direction. after that, my headlight beam changed and oncoming cars stopped screaming at me. Very Happy

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
CCMark

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 Cruising Cabin
KZH116
Registration date : 2022-09-29

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Hey!

Have you tried www.Jauce.Com they are the equivalent of Japanese eBay and also handle all the forwarding. I was looking at headlight on there (can’t speak for left hand drive options) but may have what you want.

Mark
Back to top Go down
p3et

Home City : Aschersleben
Model and year : 1992 Super Custom Limited 4WD
Registration date : 2024-02-07

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2024 8:53 am

Hiya!

I'm André and I'm currently waiting for my 1992 Super Custom to arrive in Germany. Since this will be my first one I'm also new to this forum Wink

So Dominik, this topic is also very relevant to me.
Changing to EUDM grill will not be an option as I'm targeting historical vehicle registration.

I'd be very interested how you finally matched TÜV requirements?
Back to top Go down
r32_doriftoo
r32_doriftoo

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2024 9:16 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, forgot to turn on my notifications Embarassed
Thank ya'll for the input, unfortunately LHD countries in which the JDM fascia was sold use RHD headlights too.

p3et wrote:
Hiya!
So Dominik, this topic is also very relevant to me.
Changing to EUDM grill will not be an option as I'm targeting historical vehicle registration.

I'd be very interested how you finally matched TÜV requirements?

Congrats! Well I ended up polishing the glass clear on both sides and retrofitted EUDM rectangular headlights to match the pattern required.
Was it a hell of a job? Yes indeed! Shocked I bet there are more efficient workarounds but this did the trick for me + it looks kinda OEM'ish Smile

headlight options SC Img_4610

headlight options SC Img_4611

If you need any specific help feel free to contact me via instagram @nightspeed_official
Back to top Go down
p3et

Home City : Aschersleben
Model and year : 1992 Super Custom Limited 4WD
Registration date : 2024-02-07

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2024 12:43 pm

Thanks! I don't think your reply was slow ^^ So at least I know that there actually is a solution Wink

However, I've the pre-facelift model and maybe the EUDM headlights won´t fit:
headlight options SC Hiace10

From the first look they will. The glass on the pictures even looks quite clear!
But before, I'll try it with just putting a sticker on the glass. Maybe the auditor will consider this a better solution for a historical vehicle.
I'll keep you up to date in a few months when she will be here.

Further on, I'd be interested which EU emission standard you met with the 1994 Diesel which should be 1KZ-TE I guess? For me with 3L it does not matter because of either historic or prior Euro 1 registration but I'm just curios...
Back to top Go down
dubjub

Home City : Queensland
Model and year : 1998 Super Custom KZH106W - 1kzte Auto
Registration date : 2024-02-25

PostSubject: Retrofitting headlights   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 12:24 am

Hi, I am a new member, and first time posting on the forum. I have a similar issue, looking for HEadlight options, so not sure if following on this post is the right thing, or whether i should have started another. But here goes.

I have a 1998 Super Custom KZH106W.

Trying to find both headlights, and 1 LH lower turn indicator. Im in australia, and the best I can find is new parts from Japan. Looking at about $900 shipped via "Yoshi Parts".

I was wondering if anyone has tried retrofitting an Australian version headlight shroud and individual lights to these Looks like it should fit?
Would be ~$300 in parts total.

Photos for comparison - not sure if i have done this right

My Hiace https://i.servimg.com/u/f33/20/55/09/24/img_8210.jpg
H100 Australian hiace - https://i.servimg.com/u/f33/20/55/09/24/1998-210.jpg

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 290
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 4:57 pm

There are some cheaper options on Aliexpress but can't vouch for the quality. I'm waiting on some for the final facelift version - which seem very hard to find compared to the others. I found two companies that supply them from China - one about half the price of the other. I'm trying the cheap ones first.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm

Hello dubjub and welcome to the forum. You might have been better starting a new thread, but no dramas. You’ve certainly posted in the right place, which is also great. Good that you’ve figured out how to post pictures. This is a bit clunky but it helps loads.

While I can’t help you directly I might suggest you take a squint at the longish first post in my ‘Show us Yours’ section, see: https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4317-my-lh119 . There I draw together almost all the general advice, parts advice and a few suggestion for sites and various other links that I know about. It was written as a post once, refer to often post and it might help you, including to dig about in an example of the electronics parts catalogues, plus covers a few frustrations, like you’ve found.

I’ve not come across Yoshi Parts so will add it to my long post. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
dubjub

Home City : Queensland
Model and year : 1998 Super Custom KZH106W - 1kzte Auto
Registration date : 2024-02-25

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2024 11:16 pm

g00se wrote:
There are some cheaper options on Aliexpress but can't vouch for the quality. I'm waiting on some for the final facelift version - which seem very hard to find compared to the others. I found two companies that supply them from China - one about half the price of the other. I'm trying the cheap ones first.

Thanks - I would be interested to see how you go.  I dont know alot about the different revisions, not sure if that is the same as mine?

I did find a set on Aliexpress that seemed similar, but something didnt look right about the profile, and they were only $300 cheaper than the others.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 290
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitimeThu Feb 29, 2024 1:14 pm

dubjub wrote:
g00se wrote:

Thanks - I would be interested to see how you go.  I dont know alot about the different revisions, not sure if that is the same as mine?

I did find a set on Aliexpress that seemed similar, but something didnt look right about the profile, and they were only $300 cheaper than the others.  

Hi - I think mine may be different - one indicator is integrated into the main unit - and there's a secondary on on the side cluster.

I think you have the previous version where the indicator is a strip below the main unit? Like these ones? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg58rb9fSmM&t=151s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: headlight options SC   headlight options SC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

headlight options SC
Page 1 of 1