Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Intermittent engine shut down

Go down 
+4
geoffreyKZH138V
LH119V
JT69
sheldogge
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sheldogge

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Sydney or Port Lincoln
Model and year : SC 2002
Registration date : 2021-07-04

Intermittent engine shut down - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intermittent engine shut down   Intermittent engine shut down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2023 8:24 am

JT - sounds like I needed your expertise on hand. Living in the bush without a reliable car for 12 months (and no second runaround car) I was pretty happy to pay the $900 and get the new pump with minimal dicking around.

Interestingly none of the mechanics (there aren't many) were keen to try any such methods.

But, if anyone is keen to give it a crack and grab the pump, it's currently sitting in the Port Lincoln dump.

Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent engine shut down   Intermittent engine shut down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2023 9:48 am

Exactly why I am on this forum so often I find the old mechanics who understood these engines are disappearing, now if it cannot be diagnosed by computer it ends up being scraped .

NickZ likes this post

Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent engine shut down   Intermittent engine shut down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2023 10:27 am

Too true, the mechanic that always serviced my car did a check on my van, said there was nothing wrong with it ( a collapsed gearbox mounting definitely isn't nothing !) and then when I wanted the engine checked, because it was cutting out, told me to put some additive in the fuel and that he'd order some sort of fuel valve and call me when he got it.. He hasn't been heard from since.

I wouldn't mind but he's ex Toyota and not young at all ! It's all a part of the throw away society... But these vans are awesome and even if mine's held together with bits of wire and epoxy I'll still be driving it.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent engine shut down   Intermittent engine shut down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2023 10:59 pm

After having a SuperCustom for almost 20 years and the experience of owning over 70 different vehicles over the years My first answer when someone asks about getting one of these vans is “Never as your only vehicle. These are 30 years old now. You need to have access to another car too”.

And this is in a country where parts access is as good as anywhere except Japan itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent engine shut down   Intermittent engine shut down - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent engine shut down
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2