Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front driveline u-joint lube?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 61
Home City : Carson NM
Model and year : 95 super custom, auto, full time 4x4, 1kzte
Registration date : 2021-03-29

Front driveline u-joint lube? Empty
PostSubject: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 5:07 am

It appears the front driveline u-joints have no grease fittings. Im not sure i like that setup.
Does anyone have part numbers for replacement u-joints with grease fittings?
94 kz106 4x4
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 3:14 pm

Morning Tactical Ant.

Uses the same GMB u joints off a 95-04 Tacoma. Search that way for a grease-able alternate from Dana/Spicer/GMB and probably many others.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the message accidentally sent. I have no idea what I’m doing before second coffee.

OEM PN 04371-30021, 1KZ-TE, 4WD
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 3:29 pm

blgravely wrote:
Morning Tactical Ant.

Uses the same GMB u joints off a 95-04 Tacoma. Search that way for a grease-able alternate from Dana/Spicer/GMB and probably many others.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the message accidentally sent. I have no idea what I’m doing before second coffee.

Thats great! Thanks for the fast reply.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 8:00 pm

blgravely wrote:
Morning Tactical Ant.

If we are talking rear driveline, would they be same year taco as well?
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2022 1:47 am

Yes Sir. I’m tracking all the spiders are identical.

TacticalAnt likes this post

Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 5:38 am

After watching this video, specifically from 16:00 where he speaks of comparing factory sealed spicer to aftermarket with grease fitting, im rethinking my initial statement above about wanting grease fittings in all my u-joints.
https://youtu.be/BjPFzFkNmjE
Now wondering why toyota puts sealed u-joints up front, and greaseable in rear?
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 2:54 pm

That is absolutely a great question. I can tell you that my line of thinking aligns with yours…however the spicer u joints lasted in my wife’s 2005 taco for 250k miles. That was unheard of back in the day.

I just built the motor in her 1989 pickup and it has a ton of similarity with her Hiace. This truck is getting refreshed everything and I’ll let you know how solid her old ones were when I pull them out.
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 3:32 pm

Right on, and who doesn’t like the added benefit of NOT having to crawl under there and grease it.
I have a lifted FJ Cruiser, and thats easy to get under, but this Hiace is pretty tight.
Spicer is definitely the way to go here, from what i can see, they make the OEM for toyota. Seems to be the standard to which all others are held (but fall short).
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 11:29 pm

Hello

I knew there was a thread on here that discussed if replacing the OEM prop shaft bearings / spiders whether to go for those with grease-fittings and also there was a part number.

It’s taken me ages to find this thread as the search function on here isn’t great or I’m not good at using it.

I’ve got both prop shafts out as I’ve removed the gearbox for a number of reasons, not least to replace the clutch.

The prop shafts have just been sitting quietly and yesterday I started to give them a bit of a clean and inspection:
Front driveline u-joint lube? 2022-067
Front driveline u-joint lube? 2022-066

I agree that PNC 04371 (04371-30021) are correct if replacing the spiders, which is what I was searching the Forum for, but I’ve no idea if these are re-greasable. It also seems that there are other options depending on age(?), see:
https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/chassis/3701/04371/

Anyone done this recently with this part?

The link above from TacticalAnt is a great set of videos and I’d also like to add an honourable mention for the Timmy the Toolman one:

It’s a bit more Toyota-specific and you can see their technique without the SST. It’s tricky and I’m not certain I’d go with all of this. I think it's useful to view both.

On my van none of the universal joints have grease fittings but there is a fitting on the slip yoke (the bit that goes in and out on the splines on the rear shaft.

I’ll edit this with further plans as I’m unsure how much servicing I’m going to do on mine.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front driveline u-joint lube?   Front driveline u-joint lube? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front driveline u-joint lube?
Page 1 of 1