Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front universal joint (front tail shaft)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MP

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Queanbeyan
Registration date : 2011-04-21

Front universal joint (front tail shaft) Empty
PostSubject: Front universal joint (front tail shaft)   Front universal joint (front tail shaft) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:35 am

Hi,

I finally got my SC beauty last year in July ... some 7000km ago of trouble free driving. It was all great till last trip (long one - but easy - flat stright roads). Suddenly my SC started to rattle when above 80km/h especially when going downhill with my foot taken off the accelerator. The rattle was really strong so that all was shaking in the car. I could not go over 95km/h. I am not a mechanic so I had no idea what could that be. The car works and sounds normal when engine is on, and when driving up to 60km/h or so. Can't spot any smoke, any strange noise from the engine, any revs problems - seems like something else - not the engine.

I took the car to the mechanic I usualy use for all the standard service, and he just called me that in his opinion the problem is the front universal joint (or front tail shaft). He said it is a part that is in charge of distributing speed to the front wheels. Because it is an imported 4WD Hiace (not standard in Australia) he don't know where to get this part from. He said that he could take the thing out and check if it is same as in Hilux but it is a lot of work and then he can't guarantee he will be able to find the part, so I might be without the car for long time.

Does anyone know where could I find this part for SC 4WD turbo diesel 3.0 EFI, year 1997 ? Or at least is this part same as in other standard Toyota 4wd like Hilux etc? My mechanic said that if it is same as in Hilux it would be no problem for him to change it.

I would really appreciate your help. I have no other place to go to ... this mechanic seems to have no idea how to deal with non standard problems.
Thank you very much.
Cheers
Marcin

Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Front universal joint (front tail shaft)   Front universal joint (front tail shaft) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 am

try here for part no

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1997_TOYOTA_HIACE_KZH106W-MRPGT_4302.html

then may be to toyota to get

cheers dave
Back to top Go down
MP

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Queanbeyan
Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Front universal joint (front tail shaft)   Front universal joint (front tail shaft) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:23 am

Awesome, thank you Dave.

I looked at the page you sent me link to and then I followed it to the list of all the elements of powertrain. I found there actually universal joint part itself - if my mechanic is after this it must be it, isn't it? It is here: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1997_TOYOTA_HIACE_KZH106W-MRPGT_3701.html

What do you reckon - if I send this page to my mechanic he should be able to get the part number from it and ask Toyota if they have it?

Thank you once again.
Cheers
Marcin
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Front universal joint (front tail shaft)   Front universal joint (front tail shaft) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 pm

yes he should be able to if it only the universal joint he may be able to get one from repco or similar Very Happy
cheers dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front universal joint (front tail shaft)   Front universal joint (front tail shaft) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front universal joint (front tail shaft)
Page 1 of 1