Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?

Go down 
+3
Pete_nz
Van Nessa
djathens
7 posters
AuthorMessage
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 32
Home City : stroud
Registration date : 2014-10-12

HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Empty
PostSubject: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 8:46 am

Hello,
We have a Hiace camper van. LH119, 3L 2.8D from 1995
We're stuck in france with my family and I need to get it sorted immediately. The French mechanics where we are either don't want the work or say they'll only do it if I get parts.
Please help!

We were driving around in and out of town, stopping at shops starting etc. with no signs or symptoms of any problems. no lights on the dash, no resistance to starting. for several a few weeks
then we stopped for 5 mins and the battery would not turn the starter motor over.
what could cause such a sudden failure.
could it be the Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?

how can I work out what is wrong. All I have is a battery charger and some basic tools

If it's the alternator what do I need to get? and where can I get it in a hurry in Europe?
Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 10:33 am

I'm no expert but I would have thought the first thing is to get hold of a multimeter and see how many volts in the battery, and the leisure battery while you are about it. You can also turn the lights on and see what happens if you try to turn the key for the starter motor. If the lights dim, I think that is a sign that the starter motor is getting current but is jammed or broken.

I seem to remember from my uyouth that hitting the starter motor with a hammer sometimes helps it to engage again. Are the other electrics working - lights, horn, indicators?
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 10:35 am

Report back on whether the other electrics are all working or not, then try the starter motor thing. withthe lights on. Also when you turn the key to on, are all the other dashboard lights coming on as normal?
Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Update!

Hi again, I borrowed a voltmeter from a farmer.
I charged the batteries on a mains charger and they are kicking over the starter motor fine.

There is no difference in voltage at the battery if the engine is running or stopped. When the fans and light are on there is a slight drop in voltage
So there is no charge arriving to the battery. from the alternator.
I've got the floor hatch up and the belt is on and the alternator is turning.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 6:42 am

Brushes worn out in the alternator, most likely.

solaesthetic likes this post

Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Anybody know where I can get parts in Europe brushes or a whole alternator?
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 3:27 pm

I believe the brushes are common across multiple Toyota alternators, find your model and look up the part no on JP Car Parts website (for my LH107W the part is called HOLDER ASSY, ALTERNATOR BRUSH, no. 27370-75060. I looked up a random LH119 model and it's the same part no.), and then contact a Toyota dealer, they may likely stock or be able to quickly source the part. There is a thread on the forum that details how to get the alternator out.

Back to top Go down
Van Nessa

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Oxford
Registration date : 2020-07-15

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 8:47 am

Try www.autodoc.com they deliver throughout Europe and are reasonable priced
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Could be any part of the alternator. I’d suspect the rectifier but impossible to say which part without testing it. It’s not rocket science for a mechanic to test an alternator. It’s also shouldn’t be brain surgery for a mechanic to get a replacement once output is checked. It’s an alternator which even French cars have and is a fundamentally basic repair job.

Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Pete_nz wrote:
Could be any part of the alternator. I’d suspect the rectifier but impossible to say which part without testing it. It’s not rocket science for a mechanic to test an alternator. It’s also shouldn’t be brain surgery for a mechanic to get a replacement once output is checked. It’s an alternator which even French cars have and is a fundamentally basic repair job.
Ha ha you’ve perhaps never tried to get a French mechanic to work.
Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Van Nessa wrote:
Try www.autodoc.com they deliver throughout Europe and are reasonable priced
thanks
Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Well,
I’ve changed the brushes, voltage regulator set the belt tension.
I have checked the contacts in the three wire plug. All good
I checked the continuity of the wires in the alternator. All good
I am confused.
When the key is in ignition position there is no battery light on the dash . What could that mean?
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 6:16 am

Have you checked the battery light bulb in the instrument cluster? Many (most?) alternators need the current flow through that bulb to start them (supplies a small amount of excitation to the field) so no bulb no startup. Else there could be a fuse blown in the power feed to the to the cluster or there could be a broken wire somewhere between the cluster and the alternator.
Sorry, it's hard to help from such a distance.

Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 9:53 am

AgathaAlice wrote:
Have you checked the battery light bulb in the instrument cluster? Many (most?) alternators need the current flow through that bulb to start them (supplies a small amount of excitation to the field) so no bulb no startup. Else there could be a fuse blown in the power feed to the to the cluster or there could be a broken wire somewhere between the cluster and the alternator.
Sorry, it's hard to help from such a distance.
I haven’t checked that. Any ideas about how to get in to the dash to check?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 2:51 pm

As I recall there is a screw in one of the vents, but essentially you need to remove the facia, then it's fairly straightforward, but beware if you have a speedo cable connected.

What engine have you got, and what instrument cluster - the dial one with lamps?
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm

There is a good post on this here:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1921-dashboard-removal?highlight=dashboard
(Or just search for "dashboard removal")
Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi again ,
Is there a way to bypass the indicator light without going into the dash. Im running out of time to get it going.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 4:34 pm

solaesthetic wrote:
Hi again ,
Is there a way to bypass the indicator light without going into the dash. Im running out of time to get  it going.

If you ground the little wire that goes to the alternator (ground it via s 6W festoon lamp, because that stops anything blowing if you choose the wrong wire - then the battery lamp in the panel should light up.

Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 7:10 am

^^ Excellent advice. You may need someone to assist by watching the cluster light for you since you can't look in two places at once. That will save you from pulling the panel out if you don't need to.
Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 8:47 am

Hi everyone, thanks for the help
I managed to get a new alternator in.
Sadly I couldn’t get any French mechanics to work on it. They all said it was “too complicated” unbelievable!
Anyway I now have charge. BUT
Now the brakes are behaving wrongly
When I press the pedal once the brakes work fine but , if I have to press it again it has less power and then on a third press I have to use my whole body to press it hard enough to achieve any stopping.
I am guessing that it has something to do with the pump on the front of the alternator. But I can’t work out what
All the pipes are in the right places as far as I know. What could be the problem anyone.
I am out of my depth with this.
Thanks in advance again
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 5:14 am

That pump provides the vacuum for the brake booster. Either the pump is bad on the 'new' alternator or they didn't do up the hose clamps properly and so the vacuum leaks away. Check the hose(s) first, maybe one has cracked with the movement.
Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Well the vacuum thing was a misaligned copper sealing washer. So that is now sorted.

djathens likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 7:16 pm

Hooray.  I do feel for you, you have been through a lot of problems but well done for perservering and I am so happy you got there in the end.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2021 3:36 am

Good result! How'd you find that washer?
Back to top Go down
solaesthetic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2021 9:57 am

AgathaAlice wrote:
Good result! How'd you find that washer?
I just unbolted the hoses in desperation

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?   HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP! Alternator? belt? battery? Short? Earth?
Page 1 of 1