Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Diff Locks ?

Go down 
+2
alfazar
Dill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dill

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Queensland Australia
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi all, Has anyone looked into or fitted diff locks to their super custom (front or rear). and does anyone know if the diff centres are the same as any other models (like hilux/surf etc)?? (eg; will hilux/Surf front or rear ARB air lockers fit a super custom?)
Cheers Dill.
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:45 pm

No experience of swaps but I do know that my 95 Full time 4WD Custom Hiace has Limited Slip diff in the rear. Not sure about the front. Maybe that gives you another option?
Al
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:08 am

Hopefully i can get the ball rolling on this subject again...

After a small amount of reserch ive found that yes the 89-2005 Hiace rear diff's share the same rear diff as the Hilux- So that is good news for anyone that wants to put a rear diff locker on their Hiace. (ARB air locker) or (Jack McNamara) -http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/home.html
The Full time 4Wheel Drive SC's like mine needs a center diff lock to get proper 4x4 traction, my SC is useless on real slippery uneven surfaces, because of its limited suspention articulation and no lock up on the center diff its very easy to get wheels hung up and spinning going nowhere!

So what i would like to find out is - what other 4x4 vehicles share the same transmission as the full time 4Wheel Drive SC and then see if i can match up a lockable center diff. My SC doesnt even have limited slip like alot of you have - i found that it was only an optional extra on this model.
Has anybody looked into this? all comments welcome - in the meantime i'll be phoning around 4x4 shops for any clues.

Last edited by srburnsy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Quinnjin78 likes this post

Back to top Go down
want33s
Not so new now
Not so new now
want33s

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Sunshine Coast. Queensland Australia
Model and year : LH107... 1989 4x4
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:34 am

I think your best bet will be to retrofit an earlier SC transfer.
My 89 transfer is very similar to Hilux except it's vacuum operated not stick. Front and rear diffs are same as IFS Hilux.
No centre diff. Purely mechanical transfer. 50% to rear 50% to front.
Mine has locking hubs too.Diff Locks ? 183673 REAL 4x4 Diff Locks ? Armzup2
Jas
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:15 am

Yeah but mine is newer! neeer! Razz

Jokes aside i do wish mine had this, but i dont think its feasible to retrofit the transfer drive assembly that would be massive i think? If i can find out if there is a lockable center transfer/diff that will bolt up with my existing AISIN AW 30/40LE autotranny then happy days! I know this transmission is very good and is on alot of different vehicles ie - Toyota 4runner, older Supras plus Lexus and even Jeep Cherokee's - but finding one thats got a lockable transfer/diff that would fit is asking alot i guess.

Last edited by srburnsy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:53 am

interesting stuff, whats an easy way of telling if the rear diff is limited slip on 96 SC 4WD
Is there any numbers on tags in the engine bay.
Cant see anything written on the diff .

Thought about jacking up all four wheels and letting one of the rear wheels touch the ground to see if it wants to pull away , but could be a bit dangerous.

maybe we should get an early model with the free wheeling hubs and drop the 1KZ engine in it
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 pm

What about a Toyota 4runner 2001 multi mode 4wd system - it has a transfer case (VF3AM) with open center diff that is lockable and bolts straight onto the same A340F auto transmission. Could be the answer to having real 4wd on late model SC? Will have to see!
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:45 pm

tritrade wrote:
interesting stuff, whats an easy way of telling if the rear diff is limited slip on 96 SC 4WD
Is there any numbers on tags in the engine bay.
Cant see anything written on the diff .

Thought about jacking up all four wheels and letting one of the rear wheels touch the ground to see if it wants to pull away , but could be a bit dangerous.

maybe we should get an early model with the free wheeling hubs and drop the 1KZ engine in it

Not sure if they have LSD's on the rear or the front diff's, only a viscous limited slip on the transfer case, check your axle code on the link alfazar dug up - if its like mine A340-G292 its just a standard transfer case without LSD.

Last edited by srburnsy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Have a look at the www.toyodiy.com
Pull up the exploded diagrams on transmission for your particular chassis code and see exactly what's in there.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Yeah i did this and all found in mine is a chain driven transfer case, nothing else.
Back to top Go down
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 7:14 am

checked my axel code A340F G292 and no sticker on the diff housing either.
look like it is only a one wheel drive rear end , that makes me MAD

[img][/img] Mad
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 11:41 am

Don't want to hijack the thread too much but..
Mine is a KZH116 with 1KZTE engine 4wd.
From the axle code and diagrams on the toyodiy it seems to have LSD rear, chain transfer box and regular diff at the front.
I know nothing about the workings of a transfer box so I'm guessing all the rings in the diagram are somekind of clutch to allow slip between front and rear, am I right?
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 5:54 am

tritrade wrote:
checked my axel code A340F G292 and no sticker on the diff housing either.
look like it is only a one wheel drive rear end , that makes me MAD

[img][/img] Mad

Yeah me too - Wish i found out this info before i bought it, would have tried to get one with LSD, oh well just have to modify some how?
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 6:13 am

alfazar wrote:
Don't want to hijack the thread too much but..
Mine is a KZH116 with 1KZTE engine 4wd.
From the axle code and diagrams on the toyodiy it seems to have LSD rear, chain transfer box and regular diff at the front.
I know nothing about the workings of a transfer box so I'm guessing all the rings in the diagram are somekind of clutch to allow slip between front and rear, am I right?

Yeah right, so the LSD is in the rear axle not the center?? or both? The center transfer case diagrams all look the same on both models?
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Air locker on the front or rear diff or both? What would be better for sand? or would it be pointless because of the fact there is no center diff lock?
Back to top Go down
want33s
Not so new now
Not so new now
want33s

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 11:53 am

Bit of a waste of money and time fitting front or rear lockers unless you can lock the centre diff first.
Jas.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Yeah thats what i thought. Might look at getting a Delica in the future.
Back to top Go down
want33s
Not so new now
Not so new now
want33s

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 pm

srburnsy wrote:
Yeah thats what i thought. Might look at getting a Delica in the future.
NOOOOOOOO No Evil or Very Mad BitsashittyDiff Locks ? Smiley_bomb
Back to top Go down
dobstar0039
dobstar0039

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Townsville
Model and year : 1994 Hiace Super Custom Limited 4x4
Registration date : 2015-02-05

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 12:30 pm

Hello all, after reading this thread I done some research on Google and with the mechanics I work with, and can tell you that on my SC (1993 SC Limited) the centre diff is all ways locked, as the centre diff is a chain drive, there is no need to lock it. If for some reason you are not getting a 50/50 split from this, then there is a good chance that your chain could be slipping or broken, or worse yet you could have a broken axle. Mad

Here is a link to where I get all my part numbers from. This was done up for my chassis number but should hopefully help everyone out. Smile

http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/figlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=144

I do have one question though, can any one tell what type of diff is in the front of our vans? is it the same centre as the back diff? or is the ADD from the IFS Surf? what they mean by ADD I have no clue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Diff Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diff Locks ?   Diff Locks ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diff Locks ?
Page 1 of 1