Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

best approach for replacing timing belt?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RWP in Philly

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Philadelphia Pa.
Registration date : 2020-03-19

best approach for replacing timing belt?  Empty
PostSubject: best approach for replacing timing belt?    best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Although early in miles - time has taken my 1990 2 Lt timing belt. I'm afraid I must take on this job solo - although would gladly hire a experienced and competent HiAce mechanic if any are known to exist in central New Jersey USA.
I have downloaded shop manuals that cover my engine -- but not the HiAce's mailbox engine access. My forearms are still cut up from an alternator replacement in September. If anyone can advise and console -- or share better process descriptions or tricks and pitfall , that would be great.

Thank -Rob in Philadelphia Pa. USA.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: best approach for replacing timing belt?    best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 am

Ouch! has the belt actually broken or slipped? If so you may well be in for a lot more than belt replacement!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: best approach for replacing timing belt?    best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Sometimes you can get a Haynes manual of a more popular vehicle that uses the same engine. Hilux etc.
Then you'll have all the details.!
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: best approach for replacing timing belt?    best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 5:11 am

He was meaning the practical difficulties of doing the job with the engine access being what it is in the Hiace. I'm assuming he knows about the access cover under the front seat? He said he has the engine manuals.
Back to top Go down
RWP in Philly

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Philadelphia Pa.
Registration date : 2020-03-19

PostSubject: Thanks for your insight AgathaAlice   best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 3:58 pm

A gray cloud formed ever larger over me after after my question of the best process for doing the work. I came to understand Toyota diesel engines -All - are interference designs. Argh. I have less then 55000 miles on mine and the warning light spots at 75000.
My HiAce is 30 years old so the age may have taken its toll on the rubber. Other beware.
Now the silly question.
Has anyone lost a timing belt ( cam) in a 2 L turbo and not had the valves bent - pistons hammered and the need for a complete rebuild or new engine? -- Is it even worth trying to get a new belt on or is that just wishful thinking?
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: best approach for replacing timing belt?    best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 2:29 am

Sorry buddy, that's what I meant above. I believe that many Toyota engines share similar physical characteristics and can be interchanged readily so now could be a time to consider putting in something with a few more horses and readily available in your country. The guy who bought our Hiace damaged the motor (was the 3L) and fitted something a lot more recent into it, he's apparently very happy with the result but I don't know what engine he chose. I'd expect very major damage in yours.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: best approach for replacing timing belt?    best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 am

If the valves are bent, it only needs new valves in the head, the rest of the engine will be fine.
But it can be an expensive job, so have a chat with the mechanics as to alternatives. Perhaps a more modern motor may make sense, as they are more efficient and smaller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: best approach for replacing timing belt?    best approach for replacing timing belt?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

best approach for replacing timing belt?
Page 1 of 1