Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BenAU

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : 1988 Toyota Hiace Super Custom Living Saloon EX
Registration date : 2020-06-23

1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Empty
PostSubject: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 1:57 am

Hi All,

I recently bought a 1988 Super Custom Living Saloon EX, I didn't know what it was when I bought it and neither did the person that sold it too me. After doing some research I realized the treasure I had just acquired.

Anyway I noticed in a few pictures that the middle seats spin around, I checked my van and it does have instruction (in Japanese) on how to rotate them and they seem to be on a cylindrical barrel mount, however I can't seam to get them to rotate, I have tried pushing the back rest all the way forward, without holding any of the levers and while holding all the levers, the seats slide back and forth and the back rests fold in all directions but I can't get them to spin.

Is there a trick to it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 2:15 am

at the front of the seat there is a push lever that has to be pushed to allow the seat to spin.
hope this fixes your problem.
cheers dave
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Also you have to release the backs completely first!
Back to top Go down
BenAU

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Thank for the replies I have tried pushing the button on the front both side ways (both ways) in and out, I have one this with the seats completely released forward. some images below of the seats for reverence.

1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin 110
1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin 210
1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin 310
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Hmmmm....

... that seat base is quite different to the one I had under my chair. It is round though, which is hopeful.
Does the double seat next to it swivel ok?
Back to top Go down
BenAU

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 1:09 am

The two seats next to it are also on a cylindrical mount but I can’t figure out how to spin them either, I did some research and apparently my model came with spinning seats as standard, but maybe it was an extra option that was not installed?
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 am

just a thought have you tried pulling the handle at the front downwards. my seats are totally different to those in your van. will do some more investigating for you.

BenAU likes this post

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 11:35 am

If you get really stuck just take the nearest seat out (it's only 4 bolts) and have a look on an easy surface to see if there are clues in the mechanism.

Watch your back though as they are heavier than they look!

BenAU likes this post

Back to top Go down
BenAU

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 am

ruffnut wrote:
just a thought have you tried pulling the handle at the front downwards. my seats are totally different to those in your van. will do some more investigating for you.

Thanks, yeah I have tried to push, pull, turn etc. in all direction, I am starting to think that maybe it just doesn't spin, I'll get a mechanic or someone who might understand it a bit better to take a look haha.
Back to top Go down
BenAU

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 4:14 am

GPW wrote:
If you get really stuck just take the nearest seat out (it's only 4 bolts) and have a look on an easy surface to see if there are clues in the mechanism.

Watch your back though as they are heavier than they look!

Thanks, yeah I will probably have to do this, driving me crazy Razz and thanks for the safety tip Smile
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 am

In your first pic it looks like there could be a secondlever on the left side of the seat if there is have you tried to use that one?
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 59
Home City : Aussie
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Living Saloon Ex 4wd 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2020-06-01

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 1:12 pm

mine are messed up,

removed, lubricated

finally managed to turn 180 degrees and got stuck for a week lol

managed to get them back round.

going to have another crack at it soon.

ruffnut likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin   1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1988 Super Custom spinning seats won't spin
Page 1 of 1