Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing wiper linkage

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Replacing wiper linkage Empty
PostSubject: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Afternoon all,
I posted a while ago, i think, about the nut and thread on my wiper linkage being completely fudged so my wipers were no longer wiping very well. Basically as the wiper linkage nuts and thread had gone the whole assembly was moving against the body of the van slightly.
Well, today i replaced the linkage without having to disassemble the entire dash. It wasn't without it's emotional moments, but having tried to remove the whole dash etc etc for access in the past and getting nowhere i tried an alternate way.
Once the wiper arms were taken off, and the no longer really working nuts were also removed and the large shaped metal washer and rubber grommet, the protruding linkage bits drop inside the van.
The next part is the awkward bit. There is a small gap just above the fuse box in the drivers side footwell.  I used this to access the linkage. The long linkage arm from the motor could be carefully popped off the middle wiper part. You may need to switch the wipers on so it's in an easier position (but mind your hand).  I then removed the other linkage arm from each of the two b*ggered threaded wiper parts. This was done with some swearing and by twisting you can make these socket style joints pop off. I managed to get a small file in the space to help pop one really difficult one off.
With my new complete linkage i took off the two parts i needed and, carefully threading my hand back past the fuse box  put these back on the old linkage. This was flipping difficult, as pushing the socket joints together is not easy. However by wedging the arm against the van body i managed to get them attached. Ensuring they were the right way round. I then pushed the protruding bits through the body of the van and put my new nuts on (which need to be ordered as the linkage assembly doesnt cone with them. They're not standard nuts either being 18mm with a 1 mm pitch (you can get 1.5mm pitch nuts easily in the UK but they won't fit) and being only about 5mm deep. 

I think I've ive worked out what caused the premature damage to the original linkage protruding bits and nuts was non standard nuts holding the wiper arms to the linkage. The official toyota wiper arm nuts have a washer that rotates on them. Mine had nuts that didnt have the rotating washers.

Hope the above helps if anyone else tackles this on their vans. Apologies fir terminology and spelling.

Picture is of the offending little nut and the b*ggered nuts and linkage bits.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2019 2:05 pm

PicturesReplacing wiper linkage 20190510
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Replacing wiper linkage 20190512
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 9:41 pm

Wow that really is chewed out! Should you really have put those parts on the dining table though? You're lucky you didn't cop a serious punishment for that.....
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 10:42 am

Wow, that's a real mission!
Thanks for posting the details, always makes a job far more approachable!

As mentioned above, don't show your wife the photo on the table Wink
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Ha ha, I didn't think of that. Thankfully she won't be checking the forum! I hope...

I can confirm that it was a proper fiddle. My left hand is decidedly bruised and scratched but it was done without the dashboard out, or huge expense at the garage, so I'm a happy man.

My next job, which may be marginally easier, is sorting out the leisure battery charging wiring so it's not coming straight off the alternator as it's still setting off the buzzer and dash lights on start up.
Back to top Go down
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Number of posts : 67
Home City : Charleston, SC USA
Model and year : 1992 LH107 Super Custom
1994 LH119 Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2018-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Wow, that linkage must have been rattling around a bit. Thanks for the details!
Back to top Go down
SleazyBakeOven
SleazyBakeOven

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Calgary Alberta
Registration date : 2019-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 am

Im having issues with my wiper not moving very fast and am also having quite the "Emotional" experience.....
I removed the aircon box and have access to the wiper motor and motor bracket but not the other side.
I'm terrified of breaking something in the linkage, mainly the plastic joint bits since i live in canada and hiace parts are incredibly expensive to get over here.
Any other advice?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Take it slowly and perhaps get a $5 endoscope that plugs into a phone if required!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing wiper linkage   Replacing wiper linkage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing wiper linkage
Page 1 of 1