Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Initialdan

Number of posts : 2
Home City : York
Registration date : 2019-04-26

1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Empty
PostSubject: 1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING   1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Hello!
I’ve just joined the forum, so before I jump in and ask my question I’ll introduce myself.
My name is Dan and I’m from Yorkshire.
I’m totally new to the campervan world, in fact I’m new to the van world!
However I’m not new to the imported vehicle scene, having owned (and still own) countless performance JDM cars. Evo’s, Skyline’s and multiple Type R and Toyotas.
Anyway I’ve just bought a fresh import LH119 1995 HIACE campervan. The van is in excellent condition for its year with only 85k on the clock.

On the maiden journey the van started stalling every time I stopped, it restarted each time but not straight away as it should. I got the van home and called the dealer where I bought it, they came and got the van and took it back to investigate, I feel although they have been brilliant they are no experts on these vans. They came to the conclusion that is was the fuel sender unit, which they then changed. I was sceptical, as I know that the sender just talks to the gauge and not much else.
They brought the van back, I took it out and it stalled again when I stopped in traffic. It was quite low on fuel (quarter tank showing) so I went and filled up and it hasn’t done it since!
I’m assuming the added pressure is helping the problem, but I’d like to get to the bottom of it before I start going camping in it.

Any idea/help on what it could be will be much appreciated

1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING B090d710
1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING 9b10fe10
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING   1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am

Hi!
BTW We may need interior pics of the van Smile.

Ok, so under the 'bonnet' (passenger front seat) there is a fuel primer pump that sits on top of the big fuel filter. When it stops next time, as fast as you can - open the seat and see if that pump knob is being sucked down by a vacuum. Then keep watching to see if it slowly rises up. If you leave the latches open you can do this from the drivers seat, note that hard use of the engine (sucking more fuel) is a better test!

If it does, you have a blocked tank pickup filter. This can be caused by 2 things,

1. dirt and rubbish
2. Diesel bug.

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/12-diesel-bug-treatments-tested-43353

I'd suggest a shock dose (do not overdose) of Fuel Doctor or similar anyway as a precaution.

mickyblueeyes likes this post

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING   1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 10:55 am

Oh and if the fuel system is all Ok, when it stops next time listen for a 'ticking' noise - if you hear one that sounds like a relay (spill valve) then your 1995 ECU capacitors need changing as that is a classic age for them to fail in these vans. I have a thread on that process (and the fuel bug issue above!) you can find on the site.
Back to top Go down
Initialdan

Number of posts : 2
Home City : York
Registration date : 2019-04-26

PostSubject: Re: 1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING   1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 8:55 pm

Thank you very much!
After I’ve run the fuel doctor through, do you think it would be wise to change the pickup filter?
I’ll add some interior pics very soon 👍🏻
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING   1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 pm

Initialdan wrote:
Thank you very much!
After I’ve run the fuel doctor through, do you think it would be wise to change the pickup filter?
I’ll add some interior pics very soon 👍🏻

You can actually clean the pickup filter - I soaked mine in a warm bio washing liquid mix in a jar for a few days, cleaned up like new, but clean or replace the issue is the same: the need to drain and then remove the fuel tank to get to it.

So I'd just dose it and check the primer pump if it stops again to see if it's worth going to that much trouble! The primer pump being sucked down is your positive diagnosis of a fuel blockage to the tank.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: 1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING   1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Dan is your van 2.8 or 3ltr I have the 3ltr that had the ecu capacitor problem all good now, so check for that ticking sound other wise it will be a fuel starvation problem. You can find the return pipe from the lift pump take it of put it in a 2ltr container start the engine it should be nearly full in 1 minute, they have a very high flow rate and if said tank pick up is blocked they will pull air and as GPW says the hand pump will depress on its own. I run on veg oil with a vac gauge fitted on supply pipe so if it does stop I would check vac gauge and supply system, 15,000 miles and no problems yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING   1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1995 HIACE AUTO STALLING
Page 1 of 1