Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good & bad day for the ol' girl.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TangoMobile
TangoMobile

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Stanley, Falkland Islands
Model and year : 1995
Hiace Super LWB
Custom Interior
FT 4WD & ADD
KZH138V with A340F
Registration date : 2014-07-07

Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Empty
PostSubject: Good & bad day for the ol' girl.   Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 pm

It should have been a quick 30 min drive to our favourite spot (Lake point in the Falkland islands (Google Earth S51.7274 W57.8695)). Unfortunately, there'd been a bit of rain earlier in the week. Peat is so unforgiving...axle deep and the ol' girl's going nowhere!

Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Bogged1

The Falkland Islands Fire & Rescue Service to the rescue! Having to be winched out is pretty embarrassing but he’s our next-door neighbour so no-one will ever now…yeah right! Standard call-out charge….a slab of beer.

Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Winch1

Good & bad day for the ol' girl. FIFRS_2

After being freed we arrived later than expected but were treated to one of the best Sunsets and Sunrises I have ever seen.

Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Sunset1

Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Sunrise1

Never judge a trip before it's over.... Rough with the smooth........

Last edited by TangoMobile on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Good & bad day for the ol' girl.   Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 am

Nice! Should've had a 4wd then Razz (or just more speed)
Back to top Go down
TangoMobile
TangoMobile

Hiace Super LWB
Custom Interior
FT 4WD & ADD
KZH138V with A340F

PostSubject: Re: Good & bad day for the ol' girl.   Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 am

Wow, banter from the very start. I didn't realise this site was such a bear-pit for newbies Razz.

Hiace4wd wrote:
Should've had a 4wd then Razz

I did. Perhaps you meant LSD?

Hiace4wd wrote:
or just more speed

The faster you go, the further you get bogged in!. Everyone, even rookies, who's ever driven on peat knows that. Apparently they have some in the parts of the Netherlands that they haven't drained yet. (Peat and Rookies that is; which one are you?)

Terug naar jou!

Russ
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Good & bad day for the ol' girl.   Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 12:02 pm

I meant nice as in nice camp spot with sunset! Smile

Here in the Netherlands, there are a few types of soil, and the ground water is usually not far away.
However, it is hard to find a track that you can drive like that, because either there is decent infrastructure (we almost don't have unpaved roads) or you are not allow to drive there.

I didn't mean faster as in more throttle, because yes, that only digs you in deeper.

Didn't see it was a 4wd version. I have 4wd with LSD which has helped me in the mud before, but I'm not sure if it would have helped in this case.
Back to top Go down
TangoMobile
TangoMobile

Hiace Super LWB
Custom Interior
FT 4WD & ADD
KZH138V with A340F

PostSubject: Re: Good & bad day for the ol' girl.   Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:
have 4wd with LSD which has helped me in the mud before, but I'm not sure if it would have helped in this case.

That’s alright Pal, I knew you were jesting with me hence the banter back.

The whole island is either peat or impenetrable quartzite “mountains”. There are about 12 miles of tarmac outside the capital Stanley, the rest is either graded tracks or overland trails.

The trouble with peat is that it hides water holes underneath. Some of the locals reckon they can spot these by a slight change in the colour of the vegetation but obviously I can’t!

Was thinking of raising the girl by an inch or two but that won’t make any difference as when you go in you bottom out on the cross-member and axles. That’s the only thing that stops you going in further. Only way to ensure you don’t get stuck is to have a walker in front testing the ground. Takes away the point of a vehicle really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good & bad day for the ol' girl.   Good & bad day for the ol' girl. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good & bad day for the ol' girl.
Page 1 of 1