Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electric Driver mirror won't come off!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Superbilly

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Brisbane
Registration date : 2018-01-08

Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Empty
PostSubject: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 am

I have unscrewed two of the loctite screws out and had to drill out the other however the mirror still seems to be attached by part of the mechanism. Anybody tried this before? Thanks all

BillyElectric Driver mirror won't come off! Img_2814
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 pm

No, they're a bit of a mystery, one of mine is a bit loose too so I'll be interested to see how it comes apart.
Back to top Go down
Chiefster1976
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 29
Home City : Brisbane.
Registration date : 2017-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 am

Looks like a mission.. have to do this also as mine are wobbly. Up and down movement. Will follow this post to see if there is a way to get it done.
Good luck..
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 7:09 pm

I should add that mine have chrome covers, so it maybe that the internals are accessed from the top - i..e after the mirror is removed or the cases.
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2020 7:08 am

Has anyone ever solved this mystery? I got to the same frustrating dead end trying to remove my passenger-side mirror. The FSM is not helpful, it just says "Remove mirror". I backed out every screw & bolt I could get at and there was still something preventing the mirror from pulling away from the door. I didn't want to break anything so I just put it back together.

Heading off to Buyee to look at pictures of mirrors to try and get a clue.

Here are a few photos I found that might speak to the issue. I circled the location where I was expecting resistance when trying to pull the mirror away from the door. There was what looked like a tab that interacted with this void that might have something to do with it. I didn't get any photos from my van to illustrate though.Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Screen20

Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Screen21

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2020 10:48 am

I had a look at mine a while back, they are chrome covered with indicator repeaters.
They are replacement ones though - no motors or anything so I think my original electric ones are one another hiace in the world, sold when Mr. Style freshened mine up Smile.

Someone in Japan however will know how they come off, is it possible to get a Hiace forum in Japan to work? With Google Translate to do pages maybe the inpentrable Japanese part of the internet might yield some answers..

From the photo it looks like a bit of metal, so either a hidden screw through a fork into it, or a crocodile type clamp that usually holds it in.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2021 3:41 am

I figured out (the expensive way) how to get the mirror off, here's a stepwise guide.

1. Remove door panel
2. Remove black door trim cover over mirror to access mounting bolts (careful taking these off, they are deeply set)
3. Remove mounting bolts (mirror will stay on).
4. The area that I circled in my previous post is a tab that you have to press downwards (in my case very firmly) from the outside of the vehicle. Use a plastic trim tool to avoid marring the paint.
5. Mirror will now come off. Disconnect connector(s)

I'm in the process of cannibalizing parts from an OEM mirror I bought off Buyee to get my folding mirror function working again. I was fine living without this feature, but was prompted to act due to the plastic frame of the mirror glass adjuster motor breaking where the screw comes in from the bottom of the mirror, leading to a wobbly mirror when driving.

I likely caused this issue when I was trying to figure out why the folding mirror function was not working. The screw is only meant to go in just over finger tight with blue Loctite on it so it won't vibrate out. When I put the screw back in I think I overtightened it, causing the screw receptacle to crack and two plastic parts on the upper part of the frame that slide over a couple metal brackets to get pulled downwards so hard they also broke. A couple hundred miles later I noticed the wobble and though I had simply lost the screw (hadn't put Loctite when refitting, but when I got home I noticed the screw was still there, then realized all the plastic frame bits had broken.  Crying or Very sad

I was able to transfer the mirror glass adjuster motor part from the donor to my unit, re-greasing the adjuster balls with while lithium grease while they were out. Note to owners of the Limited trim level with heated mirrors (LH107W), these vans have a 9-pin connector (for the two motors) and a two pin connector (for the heat). Most mirrors on auction are a 5-pin type (no heat), so make sure you see the connector before buying to ensure compatibility. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get the mirror off my van until I had a unit in hand to understand HOW to get the mirror off the van. Once the mirror came off, I was realized the connectors were different. Arrrgh!! Mad

I think the folding mirror motor on the donor unit is good, so I am going to see if I can Frankenstein it into mine. I've got some additional electrical fiddling/testing to do before I attempt it, but I will try to post a new thread in the How-To section on taking off the mirrors and disassembling them. At least my mirror glass is no longer held on with painter's tape! Smile
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 292
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 11:10 am

djathens wrote:

I think the folding mirror motor on the donor unit is good, so I am going to see if I can Frankenstein it into mine. I've got some additional electrical fiddling/testing to do before I attempt it, but I will try to post a new thread in the How-To section on taking off the mirrors and disassembling them. At least my mirror glass is no longer held on with painter's tape! Smile

Hi - I don't know if you're still around on the forum, but any advice on getting to the folding motor will be great. My driver's side is juddery and slow to retract and occationally doesn't do anything. Not sure if it's the motor or worn gearing.

Any advice on where that motor is and how to get to it would be great. Assuming the glass needs to come out, any tips on removing that would be great too.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Driver mirror won't come off!   Electric Driver mirror won't come off! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Driver mirror won't come off!
Page 1 of 1