Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi,
      I'm having problems finding a replacement rear axle for my '94 4WD Hiace. There's a discussion in the "I need" section and I have a temporary fix in place, thanks to the help I've already received there. I may need to try to get it welded up if I can't find a replacement but I fear that will only be a slightly more temporary fix, and a much more expensive one, too...!

If anyone knows of a 4x4 Hiace being broken- privately or in a yard somewhere in the UK would they mind letting me know, please? I've tried a few online parts searchers and phoned several yards that advertise breaking either 4x4s or vans but so far, no joy...

Posting here in the hope of reaching a wider audience.

Thanks!

Cheers,
          W.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Your best bet is to search gumtree, autotrader and eBay etc for Hiace parts, and then contact the advertiser to see if they are scrapping the whole van.
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi,
     I've been looking at the toyodiy parts website and it looks like pretty much all the mid-90s 4x4 Hiaces shared the same axle housing... which seems like good news for me, as just about any one would do.

I'm a bit concerned about the suspension differences, though: my LH129 has leaf springs... did all mid-90s Hiace 4x4s have leaves or did some come with coils? If they came with coils... is the axle the same?

If anyone has a coil-spring 4x4 (ie part-time/locking-hubs with transfer case, not the later full-time AWD system that doesn't have low ratio), can they let me know the model number, so I can check for compatibility?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
           W.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Seen a couple being broken on facebook recently. Don't remember if they are what you need, but have a search for the hiace camper group.

Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am

Hi,
     My temporary fix is failing and I'm leaking again. Resurrecting this thread in the hope that someone may know of a leaf-sprung-rear HiAce being broken somewhere in the UK?

Would welcome any suggestions, especially a "rotting in a driveway" one that might not be being advertised! There's a Reimo pop-top on eBay that I've seen but it's a 2WD one, so don't think it would fit.

Thanks for any help!!!

Cheers,
          W.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 12:17 pm

The rear axle is usually the same, you have to check for gear ratios though. But you can check this through parts system or VIN plate.
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:
The rear axle is usually the same, you have to check for gear ratios though. But you can check this through parts system or VIN plate.

Hi, thanks for the reply... when you say the same, do you mean same as the 2WD one? I know the hubs are different but if the axles are the same that would be good to know.  I have a coil spring 4WD one that I got thinking it would fit but the diameter of the casing "legs" changes in different places, so the mounting points are different  Crying or Very sad   - it's for sale if anyone can use it!!

I've had a closer look at the top of the diff-housing and can't see any leaking from the top of the casing this time- hard to tell but it looks like it could be seeping from the seal where the prop shaft goes into the diff. Maybe it needs a new seal there and the casing "patch" is holding... Hmm.

Don't suppose you (anyone?) know how to tell which HiAces came with coils and which with leafs, please? That might help me narrow the search!

Cheers,
          W.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 1:48 pm

On average it is the 3.0 Turbo 1KZ Super customs that came with coil springs, and the European (LHD) 2.4 2L and 2.8 3L came with leaf springs. However, it seems that the Japanese ones are not adhering to that rule and is quite a mixed bag.
And the UK got a lot of Japanese imports.

From the parts system I see that 2WD and 4WD axle housings are different, but I don't really understand why. Yes, the complete axle is different, can be 5 bolt or 6 bolt. But that is just the removable axle / hub on each side.
I would think the housing would be the same, and maybe it is. But that is hard to say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?   Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone know of a mid '90s 4x4 being broken in the UK?
Page 1 of 1