Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL

Go down 
+10
g00se
petros
johnp
djathens
holidayboy
Bigman1207
*Ned*
toldsimply
GPW
bordurat
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bordurat
bordurat

Number of posts : 12
Home City : South Shore Mtl
Model and year : 1992 super custom limited lh107w
Registration date : 2016-09-07

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Empty
PostSubject: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Hello, after some fiddling to remove my alternator, I want to share with you this step by step Alt removal tutorial, with PICTURES cheers .

With power ratchet and practice, it can be done in 15 min ( I had to access mine at lest 4-5 times but I don't want to start on that)

Every details are on the pictures.

Let me know if I missed something.

Not mentioned but before you start, unplug the negative from your battery !

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Step_111
ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Step_210
ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Step_310
ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Step_410
ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Step_510
ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Step_610

Last edited by bordurat on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : WROTE LHD BUT ACTUALLY RHD)

Egoloss, petros, randywilliamc and BLAKE like this post

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Great write up!
I hope I never have to, but if I do this'll be a very useful guide! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Brilliantly done. Thank you for sharing Bordurat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
*Ned*

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Victoria
Registration date : 2018-02-26

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 am

This saved me... Even if I could not find everything in the right order. After way too much time and many trips to tool store, I got it out. Complete automotive rookie, so I consider this a huge victory.

Hope it is only the alt. The wiring harness had a small bit of exposure on one wire. Redoing that in that tiny compartment is not appealing, but I think I'd better go ahead rather than reinstall everything and find it doesn't work!
Back to top Go down
bordurat
bordurat

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 pm

PREVIOUSLY WROTE LHD. BIG MISTAKE HERE...IN FACT RHD JDM VAN... POST IS CORRECTED
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Deeping st James
Registration date : 2016-07-19

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Just a massive thank you, following instructions alternator off in fifteen minutes. Just waiting for it to be refurbished then will be refitting

Cheers
Back to top Go down
bordurat
bordurat

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Glad it helped and saved you the time, my first attempt was wayyyy longer Smile
Back to top Go down
holidayboy

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Christchurch
Registration date : 2017-05-16

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 am

Great post, am just about to dive into this job. Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 12:20 am

Based on experience, would you say it is possible to replace the brush pack without pulling the alternator out? From the photos it looks like there might be enough room to disconnect the electrical connections and remove the nuts holding the back cover on.

Markmark88 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

Home City : Gloucester
Model and year : 4X4 LH119 3L Engine
Registration date : 2020-10-15

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2022 8:42 pm

I never bother disconnecting the handbrake as you can move the panel out of the way with it still connected. I find it a pain to reinstall.
My new alternator was not an easy fit. The bottom fixing was 1mm longer than the old one so it would not drop down into the bracket. I ended up using a die grinder to relieve it a little.
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 34
Home City : wimborne
Registration date : 2011-10-19

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2022 2:44 pm

Well I am about to start this venture of removal of Alternator.
Looking at it I had no idea where to begin, but your post gives me hope.
Wish me luck as I will need it.

Well I am almost there but what a job. Without the excellent guide I would have struggled.
The worst was the 14 mm pivot bolt as I did not have a very short extension and the belts were in the way.
In the end used a ring with open end and slotted a bar to the open end to give leverage.

Thanks for your offer of help . I may need it.

Last edited by johnp on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2022 6:42 pm

If you have any problems just post here and I'll try to gelp you through it. It is just a bit fiddly and hopefully you won't have the same issue I had with it being too big to fit
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2022 11:22 am

Gissit wrote:
If you have any problems just post here and I'll try to gelp you through it. It is just a bit fiddly and hopefully you won't have the same issue I had with it being too big to fit

Hi Gissit,

Many thanks for your offer of help.

I have the alternator disconnected and swiveling but cannot see what is still holding it in place.
Is there a bolt to remove on the left?

I have removed the spindle on the right but it will not lift out.

Any help appreciated.

John
Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 pm

Hi
There are only two bolts to undo. The one at the top that has the adjuster on it and one right at the bottom that I think is a 17mm af  spanner but it might be a 14mm. The one at the bottom is a long bolt. Once you have backed off the adjuster and loostened the bottom bolt, if you grab the fan belt and pull it the alternator should move quite easily. If it does not you need to make sure you have the right bolt at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2022 9:07 pm

Gissit wrote:
Hi
There are only two bolts to undo. The one at the top that has the adjuster on it and one right at the bottom that I think is a 17mm af  spanner but it might be a 14mm. The one at the bottom is a long bolt. Once you have backed off the adjuster and loostened the bottom bolt, if you grab the fan belt and pull it the alternator should move quite easily. If it does not you need to make sure you have the right bolt at the bottom.

Thanks will have another go tomorrow when it is cooler.
It is the bottom bolt I cannot find.
Maybe I will get my mirror out !!
Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2022 11:28 pm

You can just about feel it with your hand. It is right below the centre of the pulley. If you look at your new alternator you should be able to work out where it is from that
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi

Still cannot get anywhere with lifting it out.
Do you have to remove the pump?
It is pivoting back and forth but not lifting out.

I am hoping to have this one rebuilt so don't have a new one to compare.

Still I have done some necessary work on the body whilst trying to work it out.
Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 5:49 pm

I don't have an AC pump on mine as I took it all out to make space in the front for a water tank. I did remove the pump to get better access back before I threw it away. (If anyone e needs it I still have all the parts)
If you are sure you have the bottom bolt out now (3 or 4 inch long bolt that the alternator pivots on) then you may need a gentle push with a prybar to just dislodge it. You can just poke the bolt back in the hole to see if it is moving as once it moves the bolt won't go back in
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 6:22 pm

Gissit wrote:
I don't have an AC pump on mine as I took it all out to make space in the front for a water tank. I did remove the pump to get better access back before I threw it away. (If anyone e needs it I still have all the parts)
If you are sure you have the bottom bolt out now (3 or 4 inch long bolt that the alternator pivots on) then you may need a gentle push with a prybar to just dislodge it. You can just poke the bolt back in the hole to see if it is moving as once it moves the bolt won't go back in

Oh yes the bolt is out. It threads into the bottom pivot.
Maybe a bit of brute force from underneath will shift it.

My air con also not working, but I have found a snapped wire whilst doing this job so am hoping it may be the answer.
Will keep your spares in mind. What is your extra water tank for?
Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 7:32 pm

It will be the drinking water for trips. The ac radiators take up a lot of space under the front and I am old enough to remember that we did not used to have ac in all cars so I figured I could do without it for the convenience of carrying plenty of water.
There is not much access from below but hopefully it just needs a bit of a nudge. As I said, the new one I bought was actually a but too big and it would not be a surprise if yours is a bit tight.
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Gissit wrote:
It will be the drinking water for trips. The ac radiators take up a lot of space under the front and I am old enough to remember that we did not used to have ac in all cars so I figured I could do without it for the convenience of carrying plenty of water.
There is not much access from below but hopefully it just needs a bit of a nudge. As I said, the new one I bought was actually a but too big and it would not be a surprise if yours is a bit tight.

Still no progress.
I have removed the pump and cannot see anything else to remove.
Will try to post a picture.
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 pm

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Altern13
Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Unfortunately my workshop is 30 miles from here so I can't take a pic but the arrow on you pic does not look like the right place for the pivot bolt. I know I can not see the head of the bolt from the top and can only find it with my fingers. It is right at the bottom of the alternator. But that might be because it looks like you have removed the vacuum pump and it looks different as I have never done that. If that is the case then it may just be a very tight fit and a pry bar might be needed
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2022 10:38 am

Gissit wrote:
Unfortunately my workshop is 30 miles from here so I can't take a pic but the arrow on you pic does not look like the right place for the pivot bolt. I know I can not see the head of the bolt from the top and can only find it with my fingers. It is right at the bottom of the alternator. But that might be because it looks like you have removed the vacuum pump and it looks different as I have never done that. If that is the case then it may just be a very tight fit and a pry bar might be needed

Well it is out. Thanks for all your help.
Much wiggling and brute force and it came out after 26 years of being stuck in place.
It looked more complicated than it actually was, but I was not sure if there was a retaining washer or collet in place which needed removing first. Fortunately not. It's out. Hurrah !!

The washer (by the red arrow on my photo )was a sliding washer which was stuck. I tapped it with a hammer and it gave more space and movement to remove the alternator. When I came to refit, it needed a lot of tightening to lock the pivot. If I had known this first, it may not have been such a problem to release the body of the alternator.

blgravely likes this post

Back to top Go down
petros

Number of posts : 2
Home City : southampton
Model and year : 1991
U-LH113V-RRPDS
3L 2779cc

Registration date : 2022-09-08

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2023 6:40 pm

Fantastic, follow the steps and jobs a good'n, only issue was pivot bolt, its right underneath so you need a mirror to take it out and patients putting it back (a long bolt, lots of wiggling). I got it reconditioned in the UK as thought it would be easier than a new one that may not fit, etc. Anyway cost £100 for the fix instead of about £140 for a new one and fingers crossed it runs beautifully (G & C Auto Marine Bournemouth if required).

One other thing - when it stopped charging (obviously went for the new battery first etc) but I found it was very difficult it get into gear (auto engine, just reved without going into drive, then very slowly with high revs got going (even worse reversing). It was like clutch slipping but after alternator change changes gear like new again. Any reasons why, thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next