Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tokyojoe
Not so new now
Not so new now
tokyojoe

Number of posts : 46
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : 1991 Hiace Cruising Cabin 2.8D Auto
Registration date : 2017-02-12

Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery Empty
PostSubject: Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery   Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi all,
I have a nice solar panel on the top of my van feeding the leisure battery, but my engine batteries died after I didn;t drive the van for 3 weeks or so. Am thinking of running a feed to the engine battery...I am assuming it is a fairly easy job...where do the wires run from - there is only one battery terminal on the solar control unit, so do they run from the + and - terminals on the leisure to another voltage regulator and then to engine battery?
Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery   Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 8:42 pm

You'll be needing one of these then:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/battery-controller-regulator-motorhome-batteries/dp/B006OA8LKQ

Back to top Go down
tokyojoe
Not so new now
Not so new now
tokyojoe

PostSubject: Re: Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery   Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 pm

GPW wrote:
You'll be needing one of these then:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/battery-controller-regulator-motorhome-batteries/dp/B006OA8LKQ

Simple when you know how Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery   Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2017 11:21 am

Alternatively use a voltage sensing relay between the batteries that works in both directions.

I use the Cyrix one, so when the engine is running it charges the leisure batteries, and when on hookup (or when my solar panel finally arrives!) it will charge the vehicle battery as well.

It also allows jumpstarting from the leisure battery, but you will need hefty cables for that.

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-cyrix-ct-voltage-sensitive-relay-battery-combiner-1224v-120a.html
Back to top Go down
tokyojoe
Not so new now
Not so new now
tokyojoe

PostSubject: Re: Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery   Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks chaps, think I am gonna go for the dual controller
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery   Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solar panel to leisure and then engine battery
Page 1 of 1