Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leisure Battery Life

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Leisure Battery Life Empty
PostSubject: Leisure Battery Life   Leisure Battery Life Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi,
    Not very long after I got my Camper I replaced the leisure battery with a Varta A28 (110Ah), thinking this was a reasonable quality part that I could expect to last a while. It's sold as a deep-cycle (though not traction) battery and Varta are generally well regarded?
It has died in less than two years. It's been used fairly heavily- we have a 12V fridge and the van gets used for a weekend away at least once a month, often more. Might be 50 to 100 cycles, a few of them to flat, which I know isn't advised but also isn't something we do often! More typically, I think, to about 50%-60% discharged, though it's hard to be sure.

Is this premature failure or end-of-life through use/abuse?

Cheers,
         W.
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Leisure Battery Life   Leisure Battery Life Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 am

Hi again,
              Update- After some major hassles arranging return to the seller this has been returned, "sent to the manufacturer for testing" and confirmed faulty, a warranty replacement is due to arrive shortly.
So it was a premature failure.

Shipping batteries is difficult and expensive- beware!

The main lesson from this is to check the return details carefully in an online battery purchase- if you have to return it to the seller to claim on the warranty then the warranty may be useless. I booked this for shipment twice after lot of research- the first time UPS refused to carry it- the details on their website apparently only apply to contract customers after agreements are reached on packaging, not to one-off shipments from normal people. DHL took the booking after a lengthy exchange of emails regarding packing and safety sheets (MSDS) to prove exemption from EU overland shipping restrictions then returned it because they ship out of Scotland by air!!
Most couriers won't take 30Kg packages or simply won't carry car batteries- sometimes not any type of battery but lead-acid ones are particularly challenging.

After this experience I would now not buy car/leisure batteries online, unless they were prepared to arrange uplift/carraige in the event of a warranty return. If you do buy online check the return details carefully and keep the packaging that your battery arrives in!!

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Cheers,
          W.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Leisure Battery Life   Leisure Battery Life Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 7:31 pm

I've bought several batteries over the interweb, never had to send one back though.
Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leisure Battery Life   Leisure Battery Life Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leisure Battery Life
Page 1 of 1