Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quick question about tyre profiles

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Quick question about tyre profiles Empty
PostSubject: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 3:51 am

I have the 195R15-6PRLT tyres on my van.  They're winter tyres with big tread, and conform to European snow driving rules, so are pretty sturdy.

I possibly need some snow chains, but am having trouble difficulty as they seem to require a number for a profile, on top of the diameter and radius.  Obviously I need snow chains for 195/15 tyres, but what about the profile?  Does PR6 stand for profile 6? Profile numbers seem to range from about 40 to 80, so does the 6 mean 60 and that's the profile?  

The I got the 195R15-6PRLT from looking at the official specs for my van, and the tires confirm that, the full text on the actual tyres says "195R15 LT 6PR 103/1010".  I just have no idea on the tyres profile!  

I even found the tyres online, but can't see any details on profile.  Every single website that snow tyres needs profile information - so why is this so hard to find?!?!?

http://www.maxxis.co.uk/catalog/tyre-6-bravo-series-ma-751#sizes

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 7:36 am

Hi,
If there's no /number after the section size then the tyres are "standard" section: 82. Often rounded down to 80.

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Ah ok. I'm a bit concerned as some of the websites I visited don't even list 80 as an option when I put in my reg number! I've emailed Maxxis, who make the tyres, so hopefully they get back to me.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't know about snow chains, but what is this profile number?
I only see that the tire height is missing. And you probably also want to know that for the correct size of snow chains?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 8:18 pm

I think 'Profile' must be tyre height. I don't know why ALL the snow chain websites have it labelled as profile.

Mind you, I still don't know the height of the tyres, regardless!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 8:30 pm

On this site they say that 195R15 is equal to 195/80R15 and also mentions diameter and stuff:

http://www.errolstyres.co.za/content/tyre-overall-rolling-diameter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Awesome! That's the most amount of information I've seen to date! Perfect! Thanks a lot! Smile

Out of curiosity, what did you search for in google? I've spent ages looking and couldn't find anything near that good - and bearing in mind I used to work in IT, and I still occasionally do search engine optimisation work, so I'm usually pretty deft with finding what I want!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 9:38 pm

I searched for "195r15 diameter"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Hmm weird. I did try that, alongside height, profile, snow chains, all sorts! Perhaps it something to do with location, I am in Europe after all, but shouldn't be considering the link was from a south african site! Ah well thanks anyway.

This is the only one that seemed to lay it out reasonably clearly, as it sorted the tyres by category rather so it's easy to see the 195 R15 in a 4x4 type. So cheers! Hope all is good after your service!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about tyre profiles   Quick question about tyre profiles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick question about tyre profiles
Page 1 of 1