Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Problem with brakes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Harptree

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2015-07-07

Problem with brakes Empty
PostSubject: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi All. Just bought a 1993 Hiace Super Custom converted to a camper van. Loving it. A Japanese import so I'm nervous about spares and does anyone know if a workshop manual is available?
Have a worrying problem with the brakes. Every now and then the pedal goes flat to the floor. It sorts itself out and is not losing fluid. Anyone got any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Worn mater cylinder, worn servo or sticking brake - all of which need looking at even though the bus is stopping ok!
Maybe worth a bleed through and see what new fluid does first?
Back to top Go down
Harptree

PostSubject: Re: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi Clive

Yep, the master cylinder seems to be top of the list of possible causes. It is at a garage at present which clams to be able to get parts and know the vehicle. I warned them about needing to remove the dash and they said they knew and were relaxed. I see you are Bristol based, this garage is in Hengrove. I'll let you know how I get on.
I did replace the fluid and bleed the brakes. Good for 1000mls then the problem returned.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Parts easy to get, getting to it is the problem, Hope thw bill is small
Back to top Go down
Harptree

PostSubject: Re: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 9:46 am

Total of £350 plus VAT for part and fitting. Brakes feel OK, I'm off to Cornwall so that will be a good test. They seemed relaxed about removing the dash. I did have to take out the radio and reconnect the aerial but that was simple.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Well if you come back on brakes solved!
Back to top Go down
Harptree

PostSubject: Re: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm back. The brakes feel fine. Off to Ireland later in the month so an even bigger test.
I do have a problem that I will probably do a separate post for. The conversion has a three person bench seat that can face either forward or back and has a hinge mechanism that allows it to fold flat to be part of the bed. This mechanism has broke so I'm looking for new mechanism or seats from a scrap vehicle. No luck so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with brakes   Problem with brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problem with brakes
Page 1 of 1