Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

92 Hiace Reimo pop top

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 24
Home City : Axminster, Devon UK
Model and year : 1992 Hiace Reimo campervan
Registration date : 2013-07-24

92 Hiace Reimo pop top Empty
PostSubject: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi folks

As I've started a couple of threads about my van I thought I should put a few pics up! The van's in great nick body wise, if I can sort it's cooling issues I'll be chuffed.

Cheers,
Pete

92 Hiace Reimo pop top 1000170_10200651168755444_205706278_n

92 Hiace Reimo pop top HiaceatBrean

92 Hiace Reimo pop top 1167085_10201028689913237_1881724569_o

92 Hiace Reimo pop top 1172400_10201028693993339_1448578932_o
Back to top Go down
stepawayfromthemachine
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 32
Home City : Bedford, UK
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Awesome, welcome to the Reimo club Smile

That looks like a lovely clean bus being put to good use, super clean under the arches. Do you have any more interior pics?

Here's one of ours from a recent IOW excursion, I think they like the seaside.

92 Hiace Reimo pop top A1D33118-5BD0-4539-AF4D-CEBFEEB3F35E-2726-0000017E31499666_zps8b958662
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Was that Brean Beach?

What is up with the cooling?
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Stepawayfromthemachine,thanks for the kind words, I'll try & take a few shots of the interior this week, it needs a bit of work inside but is not too bad.

Clive, yes it is Brean, had a lovely day there this summer (how far out does that tide go!).

It's a long story with the cooling. The head gasket went, had the head tested & skimmed, rebuilt with new gasket bolts etc, new thermostat & cambelt, radiator supposedly flushed (not removed to do so). 200 miles later showing signs of overheating again. You can drive for about 20 miles & then when you stop the expansion bottle sounds like a boiling kettle whilst pushing water out the overflow. I've since had the radiator re-cored & fitted a new viscous fan coupling, all to no effect. I noticed on another thread that you suggested changing the rad cap? My gut reaction is that the head is still at fault, but my fear is that this is the result of another problem & not the cause. If I could find a decent 3L motor for sale I'd contemplate an engine swap. It's a shame the 1KZ isn't a straight swap as they seem easier to find. We love the van but at the moment we're at our wits end with it!
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Right for the sake of £20 or so I'd try a new rad cap.

If the head was tested and skimmed I'd put that on the back burner for now.

What coulour is the bubbling coolant?
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 12:49 pm

Left this for a while with it being Christmas (and with all the lovely weather we're having!) but need to pull my finger out & sort the van. I've seen the cap listed with different pressure ratings, 0.9 & 1.1 . It's currently got a 0.9 cap but wondered if the 1.1 would be better? What do the 2.8 (3L) owners out there use?
Clive, not sure of the colour of the bubbling coolant, does it make a difference?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Yes, clean and clear likely to be a rad problem, brown would indicate rust and black a head problem.

If it has little flecks of brown/gold stuff it has had a "treatment".

Now get out there before the snow comes.
Back to top Go down
4x4camperman

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Stamford, England
Model and year : 1990 hiace custom wagon touring cabin camper
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Cubipete
Not sure if you've fixed this yet...

I can sympathise! Ours overheated (looking back probably from a blown gasket) but it cracked the head so we replaced that and pretty much the list of parts you mentioned but including a new rad. I commented to the garage over the following days that she didn't feel right. OK its a SC not formula 1 but she lacked power and fuel consumption up. Within a couple of months she overheated again. Eventually it turned out they had used the wrong head gasket. There are three different thicknesses for the 3L (which I found out for myself and mentioned to them). Garage blamed the head supplier, head supplier told the garage they should have checked etc etc. With the right one fitted she's been back to great.

Not sure if this is your problem but it sounds very similar.
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know that about the gasket thickness, do you have a link or part number for the correct one?

I've got a new radiator cap sat next to me on the desk (arrived today). Went for a genuine Toyota part, I'm hoping it will work but not holding my breath!
Back to top Go down
4x4camperman

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Stamford, England
Model and year : 1990 hiace custom wagon touring cabin camper
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 2:28 pm

It was a couple of years ago and I didn't keep the web links. That said I recall the original Toyota gaskets have 1, 2 or 3 cut-outs on the outer edge around the nr 4 piston end with I think 1 being thinnest and 3 being thickest. The right one depends on the best match between your cylinder head and your block, the better the two have been machined the thinner the gasket needs to be. On mine they probably used one that was too thin initially (or just badly placed/torqued) and it leaked. Whether they then measured it properly or just replaced it with a thicker one I don't know, maybe that would work fine but I'm no expert. I do know harsh words were exchanged between supplier and garage, it was replaced (at their cost) and 12k km later she's still great.

Had a quick web look see this http://www.carsrus.com.au/toyota-hilux-hiace-3l-2-8ltr-diesel-head-vrs-gasket-set.html it confirms there are 3 for the 2.8l 3L

Sorry I don't know enough to be more specific.
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Well the replacement radiator cap didn't work Crying or Very sad . All seemed fine when pootling locally, took it out today & after about 20 miles the temp started rising. When I stopped it was bubbling away furiously in the expansion tank as before.

I think the best bet is to hand it over to someone to have a look at. If anyone has any recommendations for garages in Devon, Dorset or Somerset I'd love to hear them!
Back to top Go down
rubythursday
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 45
Home City : York
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom 2.4 Petrol. Wellhouse Conversion
Registration date : 2014-01-05

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Assuming the thermostat is ok, then it has to be head or head gasket.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonysimons.me.uk
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 10:10 am

As it's a cheap job we just fitted a new stat when MOT'd, I'll post back but suspect it's more serious.
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 10:43 am

Right, it's in the garage with the head off & the mechanic suspects an incorrect gasket, it's definitely not genuine Toyota & it seems that the gasket covered a few of the waterways when fitted. Talking to our local Toyota dealer there are 3 different gaskets available (as mentioned above by 4x4camperman), marked B, D or F, of varying thickness. However they have no idea which gasket is which thickness! Does anyone on here know? They thought perhaps the owners manual might indicate which gasket I need, but I don't have one. I'm stumped. But I'm also encouraged, as I may have to got to the root of the problem.
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 11:56 am

Info found! A useful link here for 3L engine specs: http://www.kilometr.com/3l.pdf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 92 Hiace Reimo pop top   92 Hiace Reimo pop top Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

92 Hiace Reimo pop top
Page 1 of 1