Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace TDI!

Go down 
+3
map_guy
Andonic
SleazyBakeOven
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SleazyBakeOven
SleazyBakeOven

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Calgary Alberta
Registration date : 2019-07-25

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2020 5:22 am

Howdy everyone!
late last year I bought a 91 LH107 super custom with a cracked head and decided I didn't want to deal with overheating issues, hard-to-find parts(Canada FTW...) and a slow ass van on the highways so I endeavored to do a swap that no one has attempted before: a 1.9l ALH Volkswagen tdi engine!
it took a couple months of planning, sourcing parts and designing a new cooling/intake system but finally go the van to run on a stripped down wiring harness and blank ecu, and let me just say this is the engine this van needed!
it's got lots of power from both the turbo and upgraded camshaft, has a ton of easiliy available parts (junkyards are full of old tdis!) and is quite a bit lighter than the old 3L the van came with!
now with the increase in power I decided to get rid of the 4.88 differentials as the acceleration was really slow, so I swapped in a 4.10 rear end and man what a difference! I still have to do the front diff which is a lot more involved as the hiace has a unique front diff housing so I need to remove the ring and pinion from the donor axle I picked up and install the parts into the hiace housing.
The van is currently up on jackstsnds right now as I am modifying the engine mounts that I had previously installed as the geometry was off and the bushings I used were way too stiff, causing the whole van to shake rather violently.
Once I get the front diff and the last of the minor changes out of the way, I'm going to convert the back into a sweet, winter proof camper with diesel heater and Canadian rates insulation to handle the upcoming ice fishing season!
I can't wait to start building out the interior!
Hiace TDI!  20200810
Hiace TDI!  Img_2010
Hiace TDI!  20200710
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 11:35 am

Really impressive stuff!

SleazyBakeOven likes this post

Back to top Go down
map_guy
Not so new now
Not so new now
map_guy

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Guelph
Model and year : Hiace Camper 1990
LH113
Registration date : 2016-05-21

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 8:19 pm

That's fantastic. I have a '90 LH113 camper and had to machine the head and do the head gasket last year (after some BC Rockies crossings)
What a dream it would be to have a VW TDI in my van here in Ontario!
Great work!
Back to top Go down
jtalen
jtalen

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Calgary
Model and year : 1992 3L Hiace (LH119)
Registration date : 2017-06-06

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 8:24 pm

Well done! I'm in Calgary as well, see you on the roads (Granted, you'll be passing me on the uphills now)!
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/jjtalen/
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

Number of posts : 27
Home City : North West UK
Model and year : Super Custom Hiace
2.8 auto 4x4 1993 2.8 3L Turbo engine
Lifted 2" | 16" wheels | Stainless Exhaust
Camper Yokohama conversion
Registration date : 2012-01-13

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 am

That’s fantastic! Great step forward for the Hiace! I can see from the pics that yours is a part time 4WD. Is it a manual or auto transmission? Did you keep the original gearbox? If so how did you go about mating them up? How does the gearbox perform etc? And I presume you still have the original 4WD transfer case as well? Good luck with it and keep us posted with any updates. I’m very interested in fitting a more powerful engine at some point. I have fitted a turbo to the 3L but naturally more power is always better! Thanks!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Sheet son! I’ve heard of putting a Subaru engine in a vw van and often wondered about finding a vw with a blown engine and swapping in a boxer or tdi. But this seems next level! I can’t even imagine rigging all that together, but finding replacement parts should be a breeze!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
Markmark88
Not so new now
Not so new now
Markmark88

Number of posts : 39
Home City : Cronulla, Sydney.
Model and year : 1995 Toyota Hiace Super Custom limited. 3.0 turbo diesel
Registration date : 2018-06-04

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 10:18 pm

nice one! was it relatively easy going once the old one was out? I must say, im open to other options when it comes down to mechanical works, but i coudnt go past the 3.0L ! haha
Back to top Go down
SleazyBakeOven
SleazyBakeOven

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Calgary Alberta
Registration date : 2019-07-25

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 1:08 am

Hiace Hobo wrote:
That’s fantastic! Great step forward for the Hiace! I can see from the pics that yours is a part time 4WD. Is it a manual or auto transmission? Did you keep the original gearbox? If so how did you go about mating them up? How does the gearbox perform etc? And I presume you still have the original 4WD transfer case as well? Good luck with it and keep us posted with any updates. I’m very interested in fitting a more powerful engine at some point. I have fitted a turbo to the 3L but naturally more power is always better! Thanks!
Chris

I kept the original manual G52 as its bellhousing is compatible with a north American W56 bellhousing which is what I needed to mate the vw engine to a Toyota transmission. The g52 was also available on first gen 4runners and pickups so finding parts for the transmission won't be too hard. As for power, you can definitely feel the boost when the turbo kicks in, but since I've got the van built out with all my camper stuff it feels a lot heavier so its still slow to accelerate, but it won't bog down on hills with the turbo spooled up in 5th gear

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hiace TDI!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace TDI!    Hiace TDI!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace TDI!
Page 1 of 1