Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tyre pressures: Finding a pump

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Empty
PostSubject: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi all! Does anyone have tips on finding a pump powerful enough to to do the tyres? Forecourt jobs don't go up to the 4.5 bar rear pressure suggested in the handbook.

Marko
Back to top Go down
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 69
Home City : midlands
Registration date : 2011-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 1:49 am

thats what 60+ psi ........................ jebus

mine are around the 38 , that seems rather alot , trying to get it to float ? , if i remember ill have a looksee to see what it says on the post , its not 65 psi thats for sure
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:29 am

Hi,
I have 45psi Front/60psi Rear listed on my door pillar. That seems about right and works well for me.

You need tyres that are designed for proper pressure, but if they are rated right for the van that should be a given.

The smaller + lighter variants are less demanding, I'm told.

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 69
Home City : midlands
Registration date : 2011-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 pm

on mine its listed at 2.5 bar on each end , this is therefore 35 psi , this would be about right for the weight and type of car

a 3 ton van as an example would be expected to run around the 45 and a 48 tonner would have around the 100 psi , this is because the side of a tyre works as suspension , , too much pressure however will stop the deformation of the tyre under load and therefore kill off this attribute , also the profile of the tread will be such that there will be less contact on the road as well as accelerated tyre wear , final thing is due to a lack of rubber on the road now the tread pattern is rounded you would have a real and true safety issue of instability , aquaplaing and a general lack of grip , increased punctures , laminates of rubber internally loosing its vulcanization so bulges or even total failure etc etc not good

also have a read of the sidewall of the tyre to see its maximum tyre pressure , its there for rather a good reason , mines says max 44 psi , these are normal tyres and not commercial ( which can take the extra pressure as there rated higher for higher loads which lets face it arnt likely to be carried in our vans , ill bet this sticker is universal to hiaces and not super customs ) , if you have commercial tyres then you can run them at higher pressures

NVQ C21 trainer in rubberworking at Dunlop in stage 1 and 2 making machines plus motorsport cyclops saying hello

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 am

These are campervan tyres?
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks folks, its drifting slightly off from the thread but this is whats in the manual:

Tire size • Front • Rear
185R14C-8PR • 325 (3.25, 47) • 450 (4.50, 65)

This is more or less on the door post also, only in japanese.

Thanks izzzzythedog, i'll check out your advice re: the tires themselves. I'm sure you'd agree that you have to take the manual at face value in the first instance.

So, any ideas as to a pump that will do the job or do I have to ask nicely at garages every time I want an air top up?

Tyre pressures: Finding a pump 7879861494_a23a7d15a2_m
hiace by markuspalarkus, on Flickr

Tyre pressures: Finding a pump 7879861750_28a5ccdd73_n
hiace by markuspalarkus, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 pm

8PR = 8 ply radial = heavy duty and/or van tyres, so yes they should take a hefty PSI.

HGV stops on the motorway should have a pump.

My cheapy electric compressor goes up to 65 psi pumping up my sons cycle tyres, maybe worth investing in a good one?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures: Finding a pump   Tyre pressures: Finding a pump Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures: Finding a pump
Page 1 of 1