Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

reliability and fuel econmy

Go down 
+7
AussieQ
chrisandhiace
srburnsy
ruffnut
CustardCrazy
ricardo
MP
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MP

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Queanbeyan
Registration date : 2011-04-21

reliability and fuel econmy Empty
PostSubject: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 am

Hi all,
I am not SC owner yet, but I am seriously deliberating buying one this winter. It looks like there is quite a few on the market imported fresh from Japan - I mean to Australia. Do you know if it is worth the buck? The models are usually from late 90' and some have very low kms, like 80K. Suspicious for me. Do they tweak it? Other question is: how reliable are SC 3.0L diesel AWD automatic models (KHZ100) from late 90'. Looks like most of you guys have one of those. I am not a mechanic and I don't feel like becoming one, so I am looking at getting a car that will get me from A to B without too much time spent in the garage in between. Finally - fuel economy: I thought that diesel is more fuel efficient than petrol, but from the posts on this forum it looks like this machine drinks a lot. Is 10 liters per 100km impossible? How about diesel gas technology? Any of you did that?
I am overseas at the moment and internet is my only way to get some info about this car. My idea is to get the HiAce SC as a family car - we do lots of rock climbing and back country skiing so I will need to do some time a bit of off road (nothing extreme) but most important is that we can sleep in the car (I will make some kind of beds to sleep tow adults and two kids).
What do you reckon?
Hope to hear from you.
Cheers
cheers
Back to top Go down
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Napier, NewZealand
Model and year : 1996 3L Super Custom, Club Field. Lowered, tinted, trans cooler.
Registration date : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:47 am

Hi there, thought i'd reply as I don't think anyone has yet. Shortish answers are...
- Great vehicle but only as good as it's been treated in Japan. Also, being a japanese domestic vehicle, they are not suited to some of the things we like to do to them. Stressing them like driving through hot climates towing or along beach's etc. Heat issues are the big one leading to cracked heads in the 1kz-te
- They do use a reasonable amount of fuel buts to be expected as they are around the two tonne mark and go like hell for a van.
- Suspect all speedo's. Gauge k's on condition, eg slop in door hinges, wear on pedals, seats, levers. At 80,000 ks for example these will all be mint, with some wear at 200,000 ks
- Get it checked out completely before buying. Toyota parts are expensive.
- Ask to have it tested specifically for a cracked head. Big coin to fix this one. Trust me, I know!

Hope this throws some light on the subject. Rich.
Back to top Go down
MP

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks heaps for reply, Rich - very, very helpful. One more thing - do you have any idea what should I expect regarding fuel consumption? How many L/100km could that be? I know they thirsty but would be good to know at least more or less. Thanks a lot. Marcin
Back to top Go down
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

Model and year : 1996 3L Super Custom, Club Field. Lowered, tinted, trans cooler.

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 8:03 am

Yeah don't know exactly. It's really not bad though. Round town drinks more than highway, driving style makes a big difference too. Honestly, I would be far less concerned about fuel than mechanical condition! $2500 to $3000 dollars for a new head buys alot of diesel if you know what I mean! Post a new thread just on fuel consumption and I'm sure you will get replies. By the way, whats diesel worth over there at the moment? $1.63 per litre over here plus 5 cents per k in diesel tax.(we pay for it separately) Petrol here is $2.15 for 91 octane too.
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 8:15 am

Hi MP.

My 1996 AWD SC gets about 16 l/100km around town and about12.5 l/100 on the highway. Mine is a KZH106 which is the AWD. Most that you see around are the 2WD model KZH100's which are lighter and not as hich with less transmission power loss which get better fuel consumption. Last time on a weighbridge mine was about over 2300kg with just me in it (90kg) so it's not surprising about the high consumption. Despite this I love mine and will not get rid of it though it costs about twice as much in fuel per km as my falcon's on lpg.

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
MP

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks Rich and Dave - again super useful info. As for the price of Diesel in Australia - I would love to know myself - I am overseas at the moment and am about to head back home (July) - that is why I am looking for a car and HiAce SC 4WD or AWD is on my radar. However, I thought this machine was more reliable and more economical to run. I think I will have to reconsider my options ... regrettably, because I was really super keen to get one. I love the look of it and functionality seems to be just perfect match for what I am after. I wonder if you know of any other vans that are 4WD but are more economical and reliable? Thanks heaps. Cheers

Marcin
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Marcin,

The SC AWD's have pretty much the same running gear and engine as the late 90's Prado's which are regarded as very reliable. To date I haven't done anything other than replace a battery. What you get on a forum is a condensed version of things that can go wrong but most of the time these things are really reliable. When they work which is most of the time we don't post about them.

Before buying the SC I looked at a Mitsubishi Delica which seems to have more off road ability. I consulted some mechanics I know and was told the Toyota 1KZTE should be much more reliable than the kinds of engine available in the Delica. I also hated the seats in the Delica and the handling was worse than the really bad I was expecting in the first place. For charisma the SC is the way to go ; - )

I would have issues with the fuel consumption if I had to use it to commute a long way except I only drive it a long way when I want to carry more people or go on holiday. I sat in the middle recently whilst stopped ( I am usually driving) and it really is like a palace. For sleeping even the drivers seat fully reclines so you can have the seats flattened from the dash to the tailgate and look at the stars through the moonroof.

You can always rationalise the fuel consumption on a trip by trip basis. One less beer during the week after work per trip and you are even.

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 11:57 am

price of diesel in oz as of today is $1.51.9 per litre
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Very very very very RELIABLE!! Very Happy 1KZ-TE Auto 4wd.

Yes they are quite thirsty but you save $$$ in the long run not having to repair them.

1KZ-TE cracking heads?? PFFFFT! I've only ever heard of two people that have had that problem and the reality is that any engine can do this if it's ran out of water and boiled. Some engines are more susceptible to cracking due to less metal in the heads but this is not the case with the 1kz-te 3lt. I think the 2.8 engines were prone to cracking but defiantly not the 3lt.

Over heating problems i think are due to poor up keep with the cooling systems, lac of coolant flushing and radiator cleaning, any 10year old vehicle will suffer from crud build up if not properly maintained.

And if you think Toyota parts are expensive, try VW affraid
Back to top Go down
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:48 pm

So in short Marcin, if you want reliability and fuel economy, buy a Corolla! lol!
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:56 pm

''I think the 2.8 engines were prone to cracking but defiantly not the 3lt''.

The 2.8 cast iron head is pretty solid....the 2.4 turbo'd can have problems though
Back to top Go down
MP

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks again guys. Awesome. I will start looking for one now. Looks like the only place I could find Hiace SC are the Japanese Import car yards. Would you be able to suggest someone? I am right on the border of ACT and NSW so I could come down to Sydney no probs if there are good places there. Any tips would be highly appreciated. Cheers. Marcin
Bus
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 11:47 pm

Here's a start 
http://australia.trovit.com/cars/toyota-hiace-super-custom
Back to top Go down
MP

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:56 am

Thanks heaps AussieQ.
Anyone heard of or used by any chance those guys http://www.nagoyamotors.com.au/

Any info about them would be so much appreciated. Cheers. Marcin
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 8:44 am

On Evil Bay there is this one from a car yard in homebush which has another 4wd and about 5 RWD models

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1995-Toyota-Hiace-SUPER-CUSTOM-White-Van-/280591634663?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item41549090e7#ht_1751wt_881

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
MP

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks Dave,
It looks like they have quite a few at this car yard. Very interesting ....

Cheers
Marcin

Back to top Go down
snd.wave~
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 20
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Ok, so I drove my new SC from Sydney to Melbourne, straight from the caryard. It took about 9.5 hours.

I can't quite remember the price of diesel at the time, but I filled the tank full. I ran it until the light was on, just as I was approaching Albury (about 20km's it was on,) and I clocked 530km.

I was sitting on 105-110k the whole way, with only one stop for coffee. I did have the heating on for the second half of the journey which I think may have effected it a bit.

What was strange was the fuel gauge. After filling the second tank, I noticed that the needle sat on full for 150km's!! I read somewhere else on here this happening to someone, must be a quirk of the SC.

A few hours in to the drive I very gradually edged her speed up. It sat comfortably at 140kph, but that was enough for both of us. It was part of the bonding experience. Smile

Back to top Go down
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Ive been to 130kph! Right! I'm taking her up to 145 to edge you out lol. (on a closed, private road naturally)
I wonder what the top speed of these things are? Rich.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 11:42 pm

The 2.8 tops out at 140kph (a bit more downhill)...+ is happy at that on extended runs.
I'd like to know what the 3 ltr does flat out. Flat out is within the design spec so it should be safe Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:39 am

Extended runs at maximum eh. You sound like real van tester! Going to do the 145 run first, see how she feels before maxing it. Not long since put a new head on it so don't want to push my luck! Shocked
Back to top Go down
snd.wave~
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 20
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:36 am

I ever so gradually reached 140, and I put foot down a bit more, but that was it, wasn't any more room to move ... or if there was, I wasn't going to push it further No
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

Number of posts : 101
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:47 pm

this Super custom gets just a little less than 10 Kilometers per liter. Most of my driving is on the highway at about 80 k per hour and i drive about 15 km at a time. I just got the rad re-cored and fluids changed, new fuel filter, timing belt, water pump and more. Maybe the fuel eco has improved. I'm at the moment monitoring my fuel consumption.

anyone... How many liters from full tank to when the light goes on?

I've went just over 130. With the new rad re-core I'll try it flat out next time I'm on my own private runway.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 2:16 pm

The 2.8 is somewhat limited at 140kph...just need the 3 ltr owners to nail the foot to the floor. Pre and post 2000 should be interesting as 2000 on there is more hp to the engine. Anyways...nailing the pedal down is good for the engine and is within design parameters Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now
ricardo

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:41 pm

---Hi Chrisandhiace, can you give us the design parameters you speak of? Sounds interesting!
---Snd.wave, are you saying 140 was as fast as the van would go, fully maxed out?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 11:46 pm

By design parameters...I mean manufacturers design, test and mate things to work together......engines..pumps...gear/axle ratios...brakes..suspension etc.
My 2.8 will (and occasionally does) wind up to 140kph and pretty much stay there for hours (in UK temps) without rattling to bits. If that was'nt safe they would have limited the top speed even further to protect things.
I'd rather cruise 75% of max...but the 2.8 is so slow... and I don't have the patience
The van has topped 150 kph down hills...or with a good tailwind..(but thats cheating).
I'm interested what the 3 ltrs can manage as thats what I'll probably end up with one day...with a better top speed there would be no need to nail it..except to satify curiosity....... Drummer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: reliability and fuel econmy   reliability and fuel econmy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

reliability and fuel econmy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next