Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Super Custom Radio change

Go down 
+7
mickB
brizbarnhart
jimsmim
AussieQ
Grisly
Admin
Clockman
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Clockman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-13

Super Custom Radio change Empty
PostSubject: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Hello all, Any tips re changing a radio on a SC 1994.I have no problems removing dash etc. Can only DIN fitting be used ,are there any hidden amps anywhere. Any recommendations on which radio welcome. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 11:09 pm

Helllooo Clockman.

I swapped the unit on my '95 SC and just tested the connectors with a m/meterand a speaker to check front / back and left / right.

As regards which type I have a kenwood with a input so I can use an mp3 player (about £60)

If I get chance on the weekend I will make a note of the connector wiring if it helps.

GOOD LUCK
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
Grisly

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 7:07 pm

I am currently struggling with working out how to fit my car stereo too!

1) First of all I had no brackets - but since got those and part numbers.
2) Today I got the stereo itself.
3) I can't figure out how to get the dash off, just above the key.
The whole thing wants to come off, but something there jams it.
4) Once I get the dash off I can work out what type of frame to use.
I'll continue with a search here and hope I find better instructions.
5) My wagon has 5 white connectors and several loose wires in the
radio compartment. 4 of them are a combination of male/female
Toyota fittings, and once now connected together they would
seem to feed signals (after disappearing off out of sight) into a
smaller female block with 1 row of 2 x 3, and row 1 7 connectors.
I do not know if this is the final block, or some mutant accessory!

Any advice or wiring of the loom (and a photo ideally) would be great!

Cheers, and thanks,
Richard.
Back to top Go down
Clockman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 7:58 pm

HI again, Thanks for your replies.Having had a quick look at the wiring I considered the possibility of a second amp hidden somewhere. No decision on the new unit yet. I entered Halfords today just for a look and asked the lad for some info. What a laugh, He had never heard of a Hiace SC,nor the DIN standard for fitments,he actually thought that I was referring to the volume of sound produced,assuming that a double DIN unit made more noise than a single. Trying to explain the Deutsches Institut für Normung standards system met with a blank stare.He obviously thought I was bonkers. However an amazing selection of units are available. It's about time to scrap the faithfull Bluespot Koln circa 1966 which has served me well.
On Grisly's dash problem the following may help. Remove the lower panel under the steering column, remove the lower dash screws, remove the screw above the speedo. rotate the Rh centre top air vent upwards & remove the hidden screw, the dash panel pops off spring clips,unplug the switch wires (they are all different and cannot be mixed up )a little wiggling gets the panel out past the wheel. While the panel is off pop out the switches & polish up the plastic.Alternativley cover it in pink fur or to your own taste. The tightly stretched skin of an endangered species can look rather fetching.
PS what are blue teeth and why should a radio need one ?
Back to top Go down
Clockman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 8:00 pm

HI again, Thanks for your replies.Having had a quick look at the wiring I considered the possibility of a second amp hidden somewhere. No decision on the new unit yet. I entered Halfords today just for a look and asked the lad for some info. What a laugh, He had never heard of a Hiace SC,nor the DIN standard for fitments,he actually thought that I was referring to the volume of sound produced,assuming that a double DIN unit made more noise than a single. Trying to explain the Deutsches Institut für Normung standards system met with a blank stare.He obviously thought I was bonkers. However an amazing selection of units are available. It's about time to scrap the faithfull Bluespot Koln circa 1966 which has served me well.
On Grisly's dash problem the following may help. Remove the lower panel under the steering column, remove the lower dash screws, remove the screw above the speedo. rotate the Rh centre top air vent upwards & remove the hidden screw, the dash panel pops off spring clips,unplug the switch wires (they are all different and cannot be mixed up )a little wiggling gets the panel out past the wheel. While the panel is off pop out the switches & polish up the plastic.Alternativley cover it in pink fur or to your own taste. The tightly stretched skin of an endangered species can look rather fetching.
PS what are blue teeth and why should a radio need one ?
Back to top Go down
Grisly

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 9:07 pm

Hello,
I recently got partial details about the Hiace SC radio variations.
I will grab a photo. I have diagrams of 2 variations, one with amp,
one without. The one with amp seems to be used with a mini-disk.
I'll try to post tomorrow the image.
I'd still appreciate any details about the wiring, that isn't detailed.
Cheers,
Richard.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:21 pm

This is a bit late but the amp on a 94 SC is up behind the glove boxup near the windscreen.Hell of a job getting at it. Just had a Kenwood 2din fitted and the fitter still hasn't got the rear speakers working ....took him all day to get this far.Reckon he wont do another SC Smile
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:49 pm

you can purchase a plug that will plug into the back of your euro spec tranni and connect with the jap spec loom ...there are two types one for a normal single cd player and an amplifier type for the vans that have the double system..... bout £10 for the normal 1 and £20 for the amplifier type.... I got one from a car audio specalist up the road but they may be available from ebay....
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Now you tell me Smile Smile If I see him again I will tell him. Thanks mate
Back to top Go down
brizbarnhart

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Portland, OR USA
Model and year : 1992 Hiace Super Custom Diesel 3L (2.8 liter) 4WD
Registration date : 2017-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Grisly wrote:
Hello,
I recently got partial details about the Hiace SC radio variations.
I will grab a photo. I have diagrams of 2 variations, one with amp,
one without. The one with amp seems to be used with a mini-disk.
I'll try to post tomorrow the image.
I'd still appreciate any details about the wiring, that isn't detailed.
Cheers,
Richard.

Did you ever figure out what you need for the Hiace radio swap? I have an imported from Japan 1992 Toyota Hiace Super Custom. I already snipped the original wiring harness out, but can't figure out what color wires mean what. I have a Panasonic head unit that I bought useds off of craigslist. The colors of my wires left to right are:

Top row: black w/ silver dots / blue w/ silver dots / brown w/ silver dots / blue with red stripe / green w/ white strip / pink w/ blue stripe

Next row: green w/ silver dots / yellow with silver dots / red w/ silver dots / white w/ silver dots / gray with black stripe / black w/ white stripe

its only one connector (loom), not two like some toyotas. Any help would be great.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 pm

I fitted a double din cd/tape/radio and the factory wiring is bonkers to work out so I put my own in, found ignition live, battery, earth, lights on and took feed from speakers back to unit, works all fine fir me now
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm

A cheap eBay Toyota Yaris adapter fits to go from Toyota to DIN.

I would not guarantee van wiring colours, I've not known them to be consistent.

The wiring is conventional - i.e. two wires to each speaker, lights on, ground, power and switched power so a multimeter should let you identify them all. If you identify the power and switched power first, then you can safely get the speaker wires with the lowest ohms scale as the speaker should quietly click as you measure it.
Back to top Go down
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Austin, TX, USA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited
KZH100
Registration date : 2018-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2019 1:01 am

GPW - is the Yaris adapter you’re referring to the wiring harness adapter? Or the mounting bracket adapter? Because I’ve been trying to find with brackets will allow me to mount up a DDIN headunit in my 93 SC.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 am

AinWarhol wrote:
GPW - is the Yaris adapter you’re referring to the wiring harness adapter? Or the mounting bracket adapter? Because I’ve been trying to find with brackets will allow me to mount up a DDIN headunit in my 93 SC.

The Toyota wiring loom has Toyota plugs on the end of it, not the regular ISO ones that radios have. I found this when I removed my Toyota radio from my van. It was in fact a Toyota radio from a different Toyota and too big for the bezel to fit, but it plugged straight in.

I found that all Toyota connectors seem to be identical so found a Yaris one which fitted fine - designed to fit an ISO radio into a Toyota Yaris. So yes, this adapter allows you to plug an ISO radio into the Toyota Anything.

BTW there appear to be 2 ISO standards, one is quite compact so check your radio first. On the standard ISO plugs one plug is for speakers, the other plug for everything else.
Back to top Go down
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

KZH100

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Thank you GPW, I apologize for my confusing post, as I actually already have all the wiring harness situation fixed.

My question is if anyone knows what "mounting bracket" adapter kit will let me mount a standard Double DIN radio? My SC was imported with the previous aftermarket radio removed and it appears they took any mount brackets with it Sad
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Ah Ok.

I re-used the old mounts for the old Toyota radio flipped over with a 20mm spacer.
You really need a couple of simple right angle brackets and can measure and drill yourself, the target radio depth matches that of the heater controls.

Searching for Toyota Radio Brackets on eBay turns up a bunch but no idea how suitable they are.
Back to top Go down
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

KZH100

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Yeah I bought a Metra "early-Toyota" kit that is supposed to fit most USDM Toyota models from like 1985-2000, and was hoping to get lucky, but unfortunately none of those brackets fit with the SC.

I did some digging and found the OEM radio mount brackets in Japan and am having them shipped over to use them as "baseline" brackets and I can modify them as needed to mount my aftermarket Pioneer head unit.
Of course it will be 2 months before they get here, so I'm going to have some very quiet commutes to/from work for the foreseeable future!
Back to top Go down
nautilus

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Berkeley, CA
Registration date : 2019-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2019 12:14 am

Does anyone have a photo of the amp location that they could please share? It seems that none of the old photos are still viewable on this site (maybe based on my browser or location?). I (only recently) have a 94 SC Limited and I believe the factory amp is top left behind the glove box, all the way to the back. I have been putting off taking everything out to get to it in part because I'm not sure that it's really there (can only see a sliver of something in the depths).

HiacePNW likes this post

Back to top Go down
pianolegs

Number of posts : 1
Home City : widgee qld
Model and year : 1996 imported super custom camper.
Registration date : 2022-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 6:56 am

1994 s/c.I found a panasonic audio / video box while fitting a head unit.
it was sitting in the bottom of the the gear change and radio panel. Front panel indictes-power/ display/
RGB / and 4dins. top 2 yellow/ bottom 2 white / red.  Back panel left side - 4 x mini jack plugs. Antenna stamped on top of them. right side 3 x din plugs - yellow video / white l. audio./ red. r audio.
The old original screen unit  was replaced by previous owners with a sony car radio. If i pull this panasonic box out will it affect any other components? Lastly where do the front speaker wires run to. Is that to the elusive amp that is mentioned. I get continuity on the neg. but can't get anything on the pos. Any info much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom Radio change   Super Custom Radio change Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Super Custom Radio change
Page 1 of 1