Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OVERHEATING??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

OVERHEATING?? Empty
PostSubject: OVERHEATING??   OVERHEATING?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 4:04 pm

If your diesel engine is overheating, with hot coolant being forced into the expansion/filler tank, your cylinder head gasket may have blown.

Having thrashed my 2.8ltr 3L Camper up hill and down dale in North Yorks, the temp was nearly in the Red, I had to have constant fill-ups with coolant and there was a bubbling into the expansion tank after the engine was switched off.

Optimistically, I changed the thermostat (Low Cost Option) No Luck -changed the radiator which was well furred up on inspection after removal, again No Luck.
Changed the Head Gasket PERFECT!! The solution was unfortunately the most inconvenient, however after 6 hours of toil in the Lincolnshire sun the Camping Monster is back on the road at the right temperature. There was a witness on the gasket where gas was making its way into one of the outer water courses. This was over pressurising the cooling system and blowing out fluid.

The Head Gasket I bought (Toyota) needed a modification as some of the waterways were occluded by the new gasket. I guess it is used for several versions of the L engine range, I had to drill 4 holes- 3/8" in the gasket as 4 of the waterways would have been blocked off by the gasket.

Contact me if you need first hand experience of replacing the head etc.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

OVERHEATING?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING??   OVERHEATING?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Glad it all worked out for you Smile. Get back out in the sun with some beers drunken
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
Riyas majeed

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Manchester
Registration date : 2020-05-27

OVERHEATING?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING??   OVERHEATING?? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 1:20 am

Hi
My Toyota hiace 3L over heating don’t no what’s the problem after 2 year back on the road any idea before go to garage please
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

OVERHEATING?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING??   OVERHEATING?? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Riyas majeed wrote:
Hi
My Toyota hiace 3L over heating don’t no what’s the problem after 2 year back on the road any idea before go to garage please

The most common fault is the fan not 'roaring' - so check to see if the fan is pushing some proper air when it needs to, as you may need a new fan boss.
Back to top Go down
johnp
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 34
Home City : wimborne
Registration date : 2011-10-19

OVERHEATING?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING??   OVERHEATING?? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 2:39 pm

I know this will be frowned on by many, but we had very similar diagnosis and in the end I put in some gasket seal and regularly check.

It seems to have stopped the drop in water level and has cured the water loss. That was 3 years ago.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OVERHEATING?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING??   OVERHEATING?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OVERHEATING??
Page 1 of 1