Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bubble & Squeak - overheating

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
castro

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Halifax, T'North a T'England ('appen!)
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom 2.4 TD
Registration date : 2010-02-12

Bubble & Squeak - overheating Empty
PostSubject: Bubble & Squeak - overheating   Bubble & Squeak - overheating Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Evening Troops!

Just dipped into the Super Custom market a few months back, with a 1993 2.4 TD EFi wrunning a 2L-TE. I love you

It's ran smooth on the several hundred miles we've done it it so far, but on arriving home after a 3 hr blast up the motorway last week it sounded like Bill & Ben were trapped under the hood.

On lifting the seats, water was "flobba-lobba-lobbing" out of the overflow tank at an alarming rate - bubbling and hissing its way out of the system.

I whipped the thermostat out over the weekend, popped it in a pan and (in the absence of a thermometer) saw it only open a crack on full boil. Hence I got another today, popped them in the pan together and saw the new one open a hell of a lot more. However, on fitting - same result after a 5 minute run (and yes I did top it back up to the FULL mark before setting off).

Here's the thing:
1. Temperature gauge only goes up to just under half way (ie normal)
2. No smells of fuel in the cooling system.
3. No mayonnaise around the oil filler cap.
4. No clouds of steam on start up.
5. No loud whooshes on releasing the pressure cap.

However, boiling over on a short run from cold. And this is Yorkshire - not exactly Outback temperatures.

One last thing - the new thermostat looks very different to the old one but fits ok and the factors guy (who are always pretty good) assured me it was fine.

Anyone else had a similar experience or can offer advice before I start ripping things apart? Any valves to play with anywhere to equalise pressure in the system?

Any help or solidarity appreciated.

Ta
Carl
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Bubble & Squeak - overheating   Bubble & Squeak - overheating Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 pm

From cold start the engine with the pressure cap off. If it erupts with bubbles that will be a head or head gasket problem. If it just overflows I would look at getting the rad flushed and refill with 50 50 mix with antifreeze/summer coolant.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Bubble & Squeak - overheating   Bubble & Squeak - overheating Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Erm,2lte is suposed to be a bugger for head gasket or cracking heads although ive had mine a few years now and not had too many problems.A reputable garage will do a bubble test on the system and will tell you if you have a head problem.Ive heard k-seal is good http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=k+seal you could also try liquid glass http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARGO-LIQUID-GLASS-METALLIC-SEAL-UP-CRACKS-LEAKS-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ330354788446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4ceaae085e
Back to top Go down
castro

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Halifax, T'North a T'England ('appen!)
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom 2.4 TD
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Bubble & Squeak - overheating   Bubble & Squeak - overheating Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Cheers, guys!

Ran it on tickover without the pressure cap on and got some bubbling, but it didn't spill over. Cranked it up to 1500 revs and although the level went higher, still no spillage. Bubbles came and went, forming, popping, none for a second or two and then some more. Sometimes went 30 seconds or more without any bubbles.

Ran it about 15 mins in totaland nothing out of the outlet, so I guess it needs more of a thrashing to get it boiling out. Will try that k-seal as a cheap next option after flushing the rad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bubble & Squeak - overheating   Bubble & Squeak - overheating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bubble & Squeak - overheating
Page 1 of 1