Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mjphiace
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 43
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 4WD LWB 2.8 Auto High Top Camper 1994
LH129V-ERPDS
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Empty
PostSubject: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi all

I have a 2.8 auto 4x4 campervan. Have never used the 4x4 and most of the instructions I have are in japanese. I know about the locking wheel hubs and to engage them for time to time to move everything. I have a 4x4 switch on the dash and a low range lever down in front of the centre console. I also know not to operate the 4x4 when you have good grip as this will wind up the axles or something.

My questions are do I need to be stationary and in neutral before I operate the 4x4 switch and/or low range lever, on can it be done on the move in drive? Is there anything else I need to know or be careful of? How does the low range lever work? Does it just have two positions; i.e. high to low?

Going to the British GP in a few weeks which has been a washout at times. I've got 4x4 so want to make sure I know how to use it! Sorry if they are stupid questions!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 pm

You can only move the hi/lo lever when the 4x4 button is illuminated and the autobox in N. it moves in 2 positions although a false neutral can occur between hi and lo.
When you lock the front hubs the the front wheels are driving the driveshafts/front diff and the front propshaft - you can select 4WD by pushing the dash button and the front will engage seemlessly assuming the front and rear tyres are simmilar depth of tread, otherwise there may be slight baulking as the speeds synchronise.

What I'm stil uncertain about is whether or not there's a viscous coupling in the transfer box to allow driving on dry roads without wind up - I suspect not .....
Back to top Go down
mjphiace
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 43
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 4WD LWB 2.8 Auto High Top Camper 1994
LH129V-ERPDS
Registration date : 2010-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:43 pm

good to know. Thanks

bring on the muddy fields !
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Do exercise the button periodically....or it will seize.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 am

If you think you might need to use 4WD during a journey then engage the hubs before setting off and engage 4WD when required by pressing the button. The only downside to doing this is a slight increase in fuel consumption due to dragging the driveshafts and diff around.........
Back to top Go down
cjs_surf
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Dublin
Model and year : 1991 LH119 PT 4WD Hight Top YMC Camper
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Towed a friends car up a gravel lane on a hill and for about 500 yards on road, by then it was starting to bind up make wheels make a cherping noise when I truned.

Had read that reversing would fix it, seamed to work was able to get out of 4wd after reversing 20 or so feet. But I guess that stopping and releasing the hubs should also do the same?

He'd driven into a puddle that truned out to be a few foot deep.

Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:00 am

This system is called part time 4wd. Should only drive on slippery surfaces when in 4wd and hubs locked, or risk braking somthing. affraid This system gives better capability in slippery terrain as it takes two wheels to loose grip before you stop going forward. In the later model SC's with full time 4wd it only takes 1 wheel to loose grip and your stuck Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?   Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anything I should know about the 4 wheel drive?
Page 1 of 1