Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4

Go down 
+3
chrisandhiace
ruffnut
Dane
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dane
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dane

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Hibberdene, KZN, South Africa
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hi Ace Super Custom 3L Turbo Diesel full time 4x4
Registration date : 2010-04-03

1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Empty
PostSubject: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:39 am

Hi everyone: You may notice I am new (by my inexperience on the post!)
Anyone who can assist me with a Manual on my vehicle will inmstantly become this pensioners Hero - thus replacing Steven Segal !
I drive a lot (pensioner and professional artist) and have a few issues to attend to.
All help will be tremendously appreciated - even PDF's
I have lately developed a terrible mechanical vibration (realy bad and pronounced) when running against compression and whilst accelerating. NOT propshafts. front inner CV joints perhaps or front diff? Anyone with similar experience? Does not ocur when the gas is held neutral such that one maintans speed. Occurs from 60 Km/hr up and down.
(140 000 Km on the clock) Am in South Africa - and the ONLY vehicle like this in the country as they cannot be imported.
P.S.: The engine is absolutely perfect and purs like a kitten - so are all other components, runs like a Swiss Clock with a front end vibration, that is ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.artonly.co.za
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 pm

possible wheel balance or alignment?
Back to top Go down
Dane
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dane

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Definately not wheelbalance etc. This is a severe Mechanical vibration and would be similar than a propshaft being out of balance. It is severe. It emits from the front diff region and therefor I was wondering if anyone has had such problems, and what a worn INNER CV joint symptom would manifest itself like, or a buggered inner Diff (front) output bearing sounds like ... It only manifests itself under power of acceleration and under running against compression - quiet and smooth when the throttle is in a position to exactly retain speed: Not accelerating nor decelerating. Definately NOT outer CV or bearing. Have checked them. Propshafts and Universals are Ok.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm

What speed does it tend to happen at?
Have any of the tyres gone out of round?..you say severe...this manifest itself very severely.. (jack up 1/2" and spin the wheels)
Is the crankwheel secure?
Is it a grinding? bumping?...is it worse on cornering?...hard to picture the noise...
You can get a very nasty vibe comng through the steering just from the gearchange linkage joints being a bit loose under the van...is anything vibrating against something else?
I've never had a head gasket / head go...but have read a description that may be simillar to yours........
Back to top Go down
Dane
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dane

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 8:14 pm

chrisandhiace wrote:
What speed does it tend to happen at?
Have any of the tyres gone out of round?..you say severe...this manifest itself very severely.. (jack up 1/2" and spin the wheels)
Is the crankwheel secure?
Is it a grinding? bumping?...is it worse on cornering?...hard to picture the noise...
You can get a very nasty vibe comng through the steering just from the gearchange linkage joints being a bit loose under the van...is anything vibrating against something else?
I've never had a head gasket / head go...but have read a description that may be simillar to yours........
Not anything to do with tyres or the engine. Engine runs like a sewing machine: perfect.Definately originates from the L/H inner CV joint / Front diff outlet shaft/bearing region: Mechanical vibration much like a propshaft that is severyly out of ballance. Happens from 60Km/hr up to 130Km/hr - seems to quiet down completely at 150Km/HR.
HAPPENS ONLY UNDER POWER ( ACCELERATION) OR AGAINST COMPRESSION (WHEN REMOVING FOOT FROM GAS PEDAL) AND EVEN WHEN IN NEUTRAL GEAR: I.E. pedal has to adjust to a power level that retains ballanced power onto the shafts, when in gear. Quiet when the pedal is in a position that neither accelerates nor decelerates: When sort of coasting at a given speed with the gas held to retain a neutral poosition: not increasing nor decreasing say 100 Km/hr or whatever speed. Terrible MECHANICAL vibration. Probably a worn inner CV or diff output bearing. Will strip down and see. Was hoping someone had a similar problem. But thanks for all the interrest guys. Will report back when I fixed it.
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Could be a disintegrating crankshaft pully - its a torsional vibration damper which can disintegrate it's rubber bonding.
Back to top Go down
OPP

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Wellington
Registration date : 2011-12-06

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:09 am

Hi how did you get on with the vibration at speed in your SC.I have the same fault? Seems to be coming from the left hand front area around the front diff/ cv area.Did you get you SC fixed.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dwayne

Number of posts : 21
Model and year : 1995 KZH106G

Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:05 am

I also have the same problem and have not worked out what it is.
Have checked prop shafts, rear diff, front hubs etc with no luck.
Happens when in 5th gear with power applied, vibration thru the front (can feel in in steering wheel as well)
Goes away when coasting etc so it must be thru the drive line somewhere????
Back to top Go down
GREY NEWBIE
GREY NEWBIE

Number of posts : 11
Home City : BUNDABERG
Model and year : KZH106 1998
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Dane wrote:
Definately not wheelbalance etc. This is a severe Mechanical vibration and would be similar than a propshaft being out of balance. It is severe. It emits from the front diff region and therefor I was wondering if anyone has had such problems, and what a worn INNER CV joint symptom would manifest itself like, or a buggered inner Diff (front) output bearing sounds like ... It only manifests itself under power of acceleration and under running against compression - quiet and smooth when the throttle is in a position to exactly retain speed: Not accelerating nor decelerating. Definately NOT outer CV or bearing. Have checked them. Propshafts and Universals are Ok.

I've just had the front diff in mine rebuilt (crown wheel & pinion relapped and all new bearings etc) as it was real bad. But it never caused any shuddering, just a painfully loud howling
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
Not so new now
Not so new now
Dwayne

Number of posts : 21
Model and year : 1995 KZH106G

Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:55 am

Well I had my problem resolved (see my earlier post with similar problems).
The issue with mine was the factory Dual Mass flywheel wearing out.
Common problem apparently. These become worn and go out of balance causing a drive train vibration.
To diagnose this, drive up to speed where you are feeling the vibration.
Gently and ever so slightly depress the clutch pedal (mine is a manual) to slightly disengage the clutch plate from the flywheel.
On mine the vibration stopped each time i depressed the clutch pedal indicating a clutch/flywheel problem.

Anyway, I replaced with a Solid flywheel kit ( Exedy TYK-7150 SMF) and the problems went away.
All nice and smooth again Very Happy

Quinnjin78 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4   1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1994 Super Custom 3L turbo Diesel EFT full time 4 x 4
Page 1 of 1