Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Nottingham UK
Model and year : SC cruising cabin 1997
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Empty
PostSubject: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 am

Is this going to cause a problem or is it an endearing little quirk?

Basically when you are driving along the speedo reading is steady and as far as I can tell accurate. Once you touch the brakes to slow down though it kicks up 10-20mph before reverting to the correct reading,

I have had a quick look under the steering column and I can't see that the brake pedal is touching any of the cables, but i haven't looked any deeper.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 7:48 pm

I think that both speedo and tacho are a bit sus on ours. Like you I think tha cruising speed and revs seem OK but any change it appears sudden drops are the order of the day. In time I'd like to go away from the digital dash if possible
Back to top Go down
want33s
Not so new now
Not so new now
want33s

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Sunshine Coast. Queensland Australia
Model and year : LH107... 1989 4x4
Registration date : 2008-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Mine has an analog dash (IE All needles) being an 89 model and my tacho fluctuates 200-300rpm if I touch the brakes while decellerating. scratch

Jas.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:08 pm

Looks like they are all electronic even with the analog readout. mate has a 98 model with analog so will check with him Jas. I'll stop looking for diff dash now tho Smile
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:25 pm

I can't see this causing any major problems. Just a quirk. A bizarre one at that.
Back to top Go down
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Nottingham UK
Model and year : SC cruising cabin 1997
Registration date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks everyone. nice to know its probably just a quirk. I will let you all know if anything bad does happen as a result but in the meantime will go back to enjoying my beautiful van.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 11:29 am

If your speedo cable is a direct drive to the back of the speedo from the gearbox, it might be the torsion effect. As you speed up the cable twists until fully tensioned, then as you brake it unwinds.
Happened to my speedo, took out the cable , cleaned & lubricated it - now OK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes   Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speedo reading kicks up when I touch the brakes
Page 1 of 1